Tall, Dark and Wolfish by Lydia Dare
1281994,050 (3.92)4

Tall, Dark & Wolfish
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
Benjamin Westfield has a little problem…his ability to transform into his Lycan form has vanished and he feels compelled to seek out a witch who can heal him and restore his inner beast. However, when Ben finds the beautiful Elspeth Campbell, she is not what he expects and he finds himself wanting more than just her healing arts…

Review:
A good premise and a sweet romance but not as compelling as the first book in the series.

Ellie and Ben are a cute couple and have great interaction and dialogue but their chemistry is more subdued. Ellie is engaging and spirited, and Ben is gorgeous, protective and sympathetic but can be obtuse at times.

The main plot is very straightforward with no real conflict, which results in a light and easy read. The inclusion of several subplots makes for some interesting side stories and excellent characterization of secondary characters. Caitrin, one of the witches in Elli’s coven, is particularly well developed and is also the heroine in book #4 of the series.

The writing flows and the story is well-paced. Nevertheless, the frequent use of Scottish dialect, i.e., lots of “ye” instead of “you”, “ken” instead of “know” and “doona” instead of “do not”, was a little distracting at the beginning. It’s been a while since I read a book with this type of accent and it took me a while to get used to it again.

In sum, a charming and amusing read for when you are in the mood for something lighter. Will and Prisca’s book is next and I’m really looking forward to it. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Fun, but not wonderful. Ben's problem is real, but his situation is awkward at best - and I find Forster's involvement more than a little odd (if Lycans bond with their healers, why is he willing to send Ben?). The answer to Ellie's questions was also pretty obvious to me. Their interactions are rather silly - Ben does better when he's not thinking, just doing (like when he goes to look for the combs). The link between their marks is highly amusing, as is the use they make of it. If she's marked, can she change? Seems odd, if not. The sex is reasonably explicit and quite hot. I like all the parts of the story, but as a whole - I mostly wanted to shake the two of them and make them actually sit down and _talk_, using real words and full sentences and not assuming that the other is thinking the same thing they are. The discussion at the picnic was the most blatant version of this, but it happened throughout. It wasn't helped by a rather awkward version of a Scots dialect from Ellie and her coven sisters (and a very few others). Oh, and the wild wolf was just ridiculous - no one else encountered them, it didn't occur to anyone (in Scotland at that time) that they _were_ just wolves, _and_ no one went hunting them. No, sorry, off-key in too many ways. Eh - glad I read it, I guess, but I don't think I'll reread. I will read the rest of the series, though. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 13, 2017 |
I heard about Benjamin in book 1, all I knew that he was somewhere in Scotland and his family didn't know where or why. Well this is the explanation. First he is of course a Lycan like his brothers, second, he can't transform any more after an incident with a woman. From a friend he learns that perhaps a healer/witch in Scotland can help.

Benjamin is like his brother in that aspect that he is afraid to love and be loved. He wants to control the beast and perhaps that is the problem. He is rather torn and lost when he can't change any more, and the rake in him seems to drift away cos of his loss.

But where would we be without some romance. The old healer he is looking for is a beautiful young woman and he is not called a rake for nothing. But when is love ever easy. This woman has a bunch of friends who are very protective and need her to stay with them. Even if that means sending away someone she loves. Yes they aren't that clever now are they, but they meant well, and I had trouble disliking them. I would also protect a friend, and they thought it was for the best. And they were just fun, I'd love to see them find love. Now that could be a cool spin-off.

Lord Benjamin, well I do like a werewolves, they are just so manly and not afraid to show it. Elspeth was sweet, and she truly did not stand a chance when he showed up. Of course who could resist a werewolf.

This book had the romance, and the wolves do tend to become very carnal when the moon is full as he puts it. I liked that they wanted to be with each other, and how the other girls got in the way. he had to fight some for his love. And of course he was also very stupid cos of his Lycan state, but he has to learn too,

One thing that I just had to get used to was that ye this was Scotland, so there was the accent. Luckily I had read this other book and was up to speed what it all meant. But I am glad it wasn't more of it.

This book had me reading like crazy at the beginning, I wanted her to find out about him being what he was, I mean she had to heal him. And the rest of the book I wanted to know if the witches would get in the way, or if anyone would do something stupid (heroes and heroines always do something stupid ;).

All in all a good shifter story and I do think I liked this more than book 1, I guess we just have to see if I( like book 3 even more. Nice historical setting, sweet romance, and cool shifters. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
Sexy, romantic and fun to read. A rich playboy bachelor were suddenly has trouble changing and goes off to Scotland to find a witch that can help him. Unbelieving in witches he fumbles into a coven of protective witches with a past that nears his. Lively characters full of snarky humor and danger fill this book with fun. I think this a perfect beach read, I couldn't put it down."pride and prejudice with a big fun twist" ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
The Westfield family is awesome! ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

"In Lydia Dare's debut trilogy, Regency England has gone to the wolves! He's lost the most important part of himself...Lord Benjamin Westfield is a powerful werewolf--until one full moon when he doesn't change. His life now shattered, he rushes off to Scotland in search of the healer who can restore his inner beast, only to find she's not all what he expected...She would make him whole, if she could...Young, beautiful witch Elspeth Campbell will do anything to help anyone who calls upon her healing arts. Then Lord Benjamin shows up, and she suddenly discovers she may need him even more than he needs her..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible