Jane Slayre by Sherri Browning Erwin

Jane Slayre (2010)

by Sherri Browning Erwin, Charlotte Bronte

After reading [b:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies|5899779|Pride and Prejudice and Zombies|Seth Grahame-Smith|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255569929s/5899779.jpg|6072122], I know I swore off of these classics/paranormal mashups...but [b:Jane Eyre|10210|Jane Eyre|Charlotte Brontë|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1266450134s/10210.jpg|2977639] is my all-time fave, so I give in. I'm not sure why I want to see my favorite work of literature (possibly) destroyed, but I do.

Ok, just finished it. I liked it more than P&P&Z, I'll say that much. The vampyre thing actually worked pretty well with the Reeds, and Bertha as a werewolf wasn't bad either. Overall, the gothic tone of the original novel lent itself to the trend much more than P&P did. However, a lot of things jarred me out of the story continually - things like the "stake-o-matic" that she and St. John invent. I think subtle would have been better, and there were a lot of times when it was anything but. ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
This mash up between Jane Eyre and a vampire hunter novel type thing is actually pretty fun. Not fun enough to hold my attention for long periods of time -- or is that my familiarity with the original material? -- but quite fun, nonetheless. There are a few outright departures from the original text, which is kind of a relief, because it avoids shoehorning too much into it where it doesn't fit. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
This is the third of the recent group of classic romance/horror humor mash-ups I've read and it is the very best of them. It succeeds in being a fun, light read because it avoided the traps of the almost-good "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies" and the waste of paper and time that was "Sense & Sensibility & Sea-monsters". No cheap jokes, no junior high sex puns, no glaring and stupid mistakes in the additions, no missed opportunities, and no pointless, tedious grafting onto the original story. The humor is dry, understated, and dovetailed nicely with the original voice of the main character.

That Ms. Erwin not only has read Jane Eyre, but understood and appreciated it, was apparent in her handling of the original material. (I think part of that understanding and intelligence is indicated by the proper spelling of her first name). She maintained qualities of the original characters and, while indicating the humor of the new situations in which she placed them, she never ridiculed or insulted them (I particularly liked her transformation of Mr. Brocklehurst -- it was everything I could desire). I didn't have a single eye rolling moment and my curiosity about how the story would develop and end remained high until the last few pages answered all.

I've read Jane Eyre several times since my first foray in 6th grade. When I first read about this book, I speculated that the Brontes might be better suited for such a mash-up. Their writings are much more emotional, excessive, and interwoven with Byronic Romanticism and Gothic motifs. These made room for adding in the changes without overstretching credulity (not the case with the two Austen mash-ups, which required much subtler humor and, being tighter and less prone to emotional broad strokes, had less room for what was sledged into them.)

Quite a good, fun, light summer read. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Mar 30, 2013 |
Jane Slayre:
The Literary Classic with a Blood-Sucking Twist
By Sherri Browning Erwin and Charlotte Bronte

Jane Slayre was orphaned by vampires shortly after she was born, when her uncle came to retrieve her he was attacked and turned into a vampire on the way home, though he was able to protect the infant from the blood thirsty fiends. This is how Jane Slayre found herself living in a home full of vampires, after her cousin attacks her leaving her bitten and almost completely drained of blood she soon becomes determined to rid the world of these abominable creatures.

This was a great re-telling of Jane Eyre, full of vampires, werewolves, even zombies. So far this is one of my favorite “quirk classics.” The author did a wonderful job bringing to life a new world and blending in the characters from a classic setting producing an interesting and captivating novel. In the original novel you truly hate some of the characters, that is not as substantial in this novel but you have a more solid reason to dislike these people, such as students being transformed into zombies. I would definitely recommend giving this novel to someone who shows a lack of interest in an original classic it is sure to make you want to compare it to the first and in the process draw the reader into a classic world that knows no bounds.

For More Reviews be sure to visit my blogs at:
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BookWormRflects | Oct 4, 2012 |
Normally, I turn up my nose at literary mash-up books, but the local librarian, whom I trust implicitly, recommended it because I so thoroughly enjoyed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.I'm glad I chose to read this book. It doesn't destroy the classic story line, it just gives an extra element to it. Give it a chance. ( )
  mzserena | May 17, 2012 |

Erwin, Sherri Browningprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bronte, Charlottemain authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a parody of

In memory of Kathleen Givens - a generous, witty, and most wonderful friend, gone far too soon. I love you, man. Always.
There was no possibility of continuing my walk that night.

A timeless tale of love, devotion...and the undead.
Jane Slayre, our plucky demon-slaying heroine, a courageous orphan who spurns the detestable vampyre kin who raised her, sets out on the advice of her ghostly uncle to hone her skills as the fearless slayer she's meant to be. When she takes a job as a governess at a country estate, she falls head-over-heels for her new master, Mr. Rochester, only to discover he's hiding a violent werewolf in the attic - in the form of his first wife. Can a menagerie of bloodthirsty, flesh-eating, savage creatures-of-the-night keep a swashbuckling, nineteenth-century lady from the gentleman she intends to marry? Vampyres, zombies, and werewolves transform Charlotte Bronte's unforgettable masterpiece into an eerie paranormal adventure that will delight and terrify.

This clever and funny literary mash-up rewrites Charlotte Bront?e's "Jane Eyre" so that Jane is a vampire slayer and Rochester's wife is a werewolf. After learning of her parents' history as slayers, Jane must follow her true calling while trying to remain true to her heart.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,260,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible