Twenty-Five Years Ago Today by Stacy Juba

Twenty-Five Years Ago Today

by Stacy Juba

12039100,400 (4.07)2

Kristine Langley is obsessed with murder. This obsession stems from a tragic and traumatic event that occurred when she was twelve-years-old. Kris has always blamed herself for her twelve-year-old cousin's disappearance and brutal murder.

For the past two decades, she has kept a guilty secret to herself: she was actually the last person to see Nicole alive; and a childish argument was the reason why Kris had left her cousin to walk home alone. She has allowed the guilt of her actions that day pervade every aspect of her life. Her family may never realize the full extent of Kris' guilt, but she is determined to find some way to make amends for her mistake.

Kris has since become an editorial assistant and obituary writer for a Massachusetts newspaper. She enjoys her job - for the most part - and the schedule works very well for her. While compiling items from the microfilm to run in the "Twenty-Five Years Ago Today" town history column, Kris stumbles across an unsolved murder. She grows increasingly fascinated with the case of a young cocktail waitress who was bludgeoned to death and dumped in the woods.

Determined to solve the case and thus atone for Nicole's death, Kris immerses herself in the decades-old mystery of what happened to twenty-one-year-old Diana Ferguson. As Kris investigates the case further, Diana becomes more to her than just a murdered cocktail waitress; she was also an extraordinarily talented artist who expressed herself through haunting paintings based on Greek mythology. The more that she learns about Diana, Kris begins to feel a deep connection to her.

Yet there is also a certain amount of backlash to her sudden interest in such a cold case. Not only does Kris face resistance from her own family as well as her managing editor, she also clashes with Diana's hostile and highly suspicious nephew, Eric Soares - who is beyond certain that Kris only seeks to exploit his family for the sake of getting a story. However, as time passes, she and Eric can no longer deny the chemistry flaring between them.

Kris soon learns that old news never leaves the morgue and that yesterday's headline can easily turn into today's obituary notice. Because discovering what actually happened to Diana Ferguson on that long-ago night could be dangerous. Finding out the truth about what happened that night twenty-five years ago may just shatter Kris' present; costing her everything that she has come to cherish: her love, her career, and ultimately, her life.

I have had this book on my TBR pile for quite some time. I actually don't know why I have waited so long to read it. This is the second book that I have had the pleasure of reading by Ms. Juba, and must say that I absolutely loved the story and characters. I really found myself connecting with Kris and many of the other characters. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading intriguing character-driven mysteries with fast-paced plots. I give this book an A+! ( )
  rubyandthetwins | Feb 11, 2017 |
I could not put this book down! The author's voice was easy to read, and the story line was intriguing. You won't be disappointed by this book. I can't wait to read more books by Juba. ( )
  AObenhaus | Sep 13, 2014 |
I don't know how I missed hearing about this book when it first came out, but boy am I glad I finally found it!

Kris works as a copy editor on the local newspaper writing things like obituaries and wedding announcements as well as the daily, Twenty-Five Years Ago and Fifty Years Ago interest stories. When she stumbles across an unsolved murder of Diana from 25-years ago she feels a sympathy for the family because she also lives with the loss by murder, her cousin was killed by a serial killer when Kris and Nicole were both 12 years old.

Kris starts working on the "case" trying to find out who could have done this to Diana and why.

There are plenty of twists and turns in this book and it is a fast-paced mystery that keeps you turning the pages. I had a glimmer of the ending but was totally off base, as usual.

This one is a wild ride with two old mysteries intertwined by one determined young woman who wants to see justice served. ( )
  bookswoman | Mar 29, 2013 |
I really liked this story. It was a little short but the author made it to where you wanted to know what happened next. From the start to end I was involved it what was happening. The author makes you cheer for the heroine from the very beginning. I cant say enough about this one. The story follows Kris while she tries to help a grieving family solve a 25 year old murder mystery that helps her to somewhat recover from her own loss. A very good read for anyone who enjoys murder mysteries. ( )
  demonite93 | Mar 28, 2013 |
I had a hard time getting into this book. I like the author, but maybe I had to many personal distractions while I was reading this.

I will say it has alot of intrigue, family drama, and was very well written. ( )
  jaynep140 | Mar 30, 2012 |

Should we dig for the truth when Pandora's Box is a coffin of buried secrets? For twenty-five years, Diana Ferguson's killer has gotten away with murder. When rookie obit writer and newsroom editorial assistant Kris Langley investigates the cold case of the artistic young cocktail waitress who was obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology, not only does she fall in love with Diana's sexy nephew, but she must also fight to stay off the obituary page herself.

Thousands of readers have been riveted by Twenty-Five Years Ago Today, a novel that reviewers and book bloggers have called:
"Intriguing and captivating." Fresh Fiction"One of those books that you pick up and don't want to put down until the very end."  Debbie Wiley Book Reviews"A gripping murder mystery with a touch of romance." Tifferz Book Review"A perfectly balanced novel that has it all: action, unsolved crime, thrilling twists, interesting mythology facts, romance, family drama and more." Bookish"A great book and anyone who is looking to get lost in a good mystery will definitely enjoy this one." Beck's Book Picks

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:47 -0400)

Obit writer and editorial assistant Kris Langley feels like the newsroom slave - that is, until she stumbles across an unsolved murder while compiling "25 Years Ago Today" items from the microfilm. Determined to launch her reporting career, Kris investigates the case of Diana Ferguson, an artistic young cocktail waitress obsessed with Greek and Roman mythology. Kris soon learns that old news never leaves the morgue and that yesterday's headline is tomorrow's danger, for finding out the truth about that night twenty-five years ago may shatter her present, costing her love, her career, and ultimately, her life.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Stacy Juba's book Twenty-Five Years Ago Today was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Stacy Juba is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Stacy Juba chatted with LibraryThing members from Jan 10, 2011 to Jan 17, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,700,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible