Finny: A Novel by Justin Kramon

Finny: A Novel (2010)

by Justin Kramon

As a child, Delphine Short, aka Finny, is a force of nature—she doesn't understand her family and they don't understand her. Just after she's found Earl, a boy who does understand her, her parents find out and ship her off to boarding school. The rest of the book follows Finny from her teens to her thirties as she grows and changes and Earl comes in and out of her life. Finny is an awesome character, and spending time in her head is a treat. ( )
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I'd give this one a 3.75 if I could. I really enjoyed the quirky characters and the look at Finny over the years. The book is broken down into three stages of Finny's life. At the end of each section is a chapter that does a quick recap of the rest of the events in that period of Finny's life. This felt a bit jarring to me. But Kramon does a marvelous job of making the reader feel a full range of emotions and the book is well worth reading. ( )
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |
  mamashepp | Mar 29, 2016 |

To summarize Finny like any other book, would be to cheat it of so much of the praise and depth it deserves. In short, it is an epic telling of friends and family, through several decades, as each discover loss and love and longing.

Our heroine, Delphine Short, or Finny for, um, short, is hands down, one of my favorite written characters in my history of reading books. Perhaps it isn’t her, at all, but, rather, the other people painted around her that build her up to be such an incredible force. The strange thing is that the characters aren’t so much likable as they are honest. Justin Kramon’s understanding of the normalcy of oddness is what drives this book, endearing to the reader all of the quirky strangeness that we, as people, live and breathe, every day.

I hate to compare the book to Irving because I feel like I’ve done that recently. In a way, it rings true, though. Both Irving and Kramon have a succinct way of capturing the absurd in the completely mundane. Their magic, I think, is in piecing out catastrophic events that leave us underwhelmed and laughing at the banal details that leave us weeping or earth shatteringly down and out. The emotional impact of everyday events seems to follow the actual pattern of human reaction rather than the wrote and prescribed theory of “how it should be”.

I was happily surprised, in retrospect, to see that this had received such high praise from the media and other bloggers. I thought that, for sure, this would be a cult classic or a book that I would end up enjoying all by myself. In addition to ringing true, it seems to have also transcended reader barriers and appealed to myriad tastes.

A beautiful piece, for sure, this is one I will be treasuring and passing a long, without a doubt. If you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. If you have read it, I suggest a rereading. ( )
  iwriteinbooks | May 5, 2011 |
Finny is a lovely, light and easy story that was fun to read. Finny Short is a young woman who has some fresh ideas, at least for her family. Raised by a father who is quite intelligent and a submissive mother, she runs away from home one day to a not too distant field where she meets Earl. The novel is a "telling" of the Finny and Earl story. They move away; they grow apart' they meet often; they never really say a final good-bye. It doesn't take much imagination to know the ending of the Finny and Earl saga.

I enjoyed reading this novel and it reminded me a lot of a Maeve Binchy novel. It is certainly worth the time it takes to read it. ( )
  Quiltinfun06 | Jan 23, 2011 |
For Lynn
She started out life as Delphine, named by her father for the city where the Greek oracle was from, but she's always had an independent mind about things like names, so she'd gone by Finny ever since she was old enough to choose.

We meet Finny Short as an observant, defiant fourteen-year-old who can't make sense of her family's unusual habits: Her mother offers guidance appropriate for a forty-year-old socialite; her father quotes Nietzche over pancakes. Finny figures she's stuck with this lonely lot until she meets Earl Henckel, a boy who comes from an even stranger place than she does. Unhappy with Finny's budding romance with Earl, her parents ship her off to Thorndon boarding school. But mischief follows Finny as she befriends New York heiress Judith Turngate, a girl whose charm belies a disquieting reckless streak. Finny's relationship with Earl and Judith open her up to dizzying possibilities of love and loss and propel her into a remarkable adventure spanning twenty years and two continents. JK has given us a wickedly funny odyssey with a moving and original love story at its core. (978-0-8129-8023-3)

"We meet Finny Short as an observant, defiant fourteen-year-old who can't make sense of her family's unusual habits: her mother offers guidance appropriate for a forty-year-old socialite; her father quotes Nietzsche over pancakes. Finny figures she's stuck with this lonely lot until she meets Earl Henckel, a boy who comes from an even stranger place than she does. Unhappy with Finny's budding romance with Earl, her parents ship her off to Thorndon boarding school. But mischief follows Finny as she befriends New York heiress Judith Turngate, a girl whose charm belies a disquieting reckless streak. Finny's relationships with Earl and Judith open her up to dizzying possibilities of love and loss and propel her into a remarkable adventure spanning twenty years and two continents."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Justin Kramon's book Finny: A Novel was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Justin Kramon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,405,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible