True Blood and Philosophy: We Wanna Think…

True Blood and Philosophy: We Wanna Think Bad Things with You (The…

by George A. Dunn (Editor), Rebecca Housel (Editor)

Excellent reading, i could not put it down. As a fan of True Blood and Charlaine Harris's books I found myself pondering some of the more philosophical issues raised by the show/books. Why didn't I have this when I was studying Philosophy in school ?The book lives up to the hype on the cover. After finishing the book I watch an episode and I found my enjoyment of the show even greater.
The BLACKWELL PHILOSOPHY AND POP CULTURE SERIES has many other books in their series that look just as entertaining, The Simpsons, Twilight, Watchman... etc ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of the True Blood show. I have the books but have not yet begun to read them (planning to soon, though!). As the seasons have progressed, I understand that the TV series departs a bit from the books. That being said, I did enjoy reading this collection of essays. I'm a big fan of academic critical thinking pieces based off pop-culture (specifically I like reading academic criticism of horror film and television). The essays are each authored by separate scholars, many who are teaching professors. My main criticism with the book is that even though it is just 2 years old, the content is already dated. The True Blood series is quick moving so by the time the authors had a chance to write essays and have them published, many of the topics are moot as the True Blood plot has evolved so much from when the essays were written. I'd like to see another installment covering the more recent seasons. ( )
  CurrLee33 | Oct 2, 2012 |
I've been a big fan of Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series and am in the process of catching up on the True Blood series so my interest was peaked when I was asked to review this book. It was an interesting book and the best part are the examples pulled for each philosophical argument from the books and TV episodes. Each chapter opens up with a quote from one of the characters are the perfect collection of one liners that make you laugh or remember why everyone enjoys the series so much. The main down side was after awhile it started to sound repetitive. Some of the quotes about coming out of the coffin/closet were used so often I started to skim over those parts. The best part were the questions it brings up that makes the reader started arguing the various sides of each question asked like should vampires be granted the same rights as other US citizens or when does a vampire have the right to change someone else into a vampire. ( )
  dasuzuki | Jun 21, 2010 |

Dunn, George A.Editorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Housel, RebeccaEditormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Irwin, Williamsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

The first look at the philosophical issues behind Charlaine Harris's New York Times bestsellers The Southern Vampire Mysteries and the True Blood television series

Teeming with complex, mythical characters in the shape of vampires, telepaths, shapeshifters, and the like, True Blood, the popular HBO series adapted from Charlaine Harris's bestselling The Southern Vampire Mysteries, has a rich collection of themes to explore, from sex and romance to bigotry and violence to death and immortality. The goings-on in the mythical town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, where vampires satiate their blood lust and openly commingle with ordinary humans, present no shortages of juicy metaphysical morsels to sink your teeth into.

Now True Blood and Philosophy calls on the minds of some of history's great thinkers to perform some philosophical bloodletting on such topics as Sookie and the metaphysics of mindreading; Maryann and sacrificial religion; werewolves, shapeshifters and personal identity; vampire politics, evil, desire, and much more.The first book to explore the philosophical issues and themes behind the True Blood novels and television seriesAdds a new dimension to your understanding of True Blood characters and themesThe perfect companion to the start of the third season on HBO and the release of the second season on DVD

Smart and entertaining, True Blood and Philosophy provides food—or blood—for thought, and a fun, new way to look at the series.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:44 -0400)

Now a hit TV show 'True Blood', depicts a world where vampires can co-exist with humans thanks to the scientific breakthrough of synthetic blood.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,350,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible