Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing Is as It…

Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing Is as It Seems (The Blackwell Philosophy…

by James B. South

Nice enough collection of essays that take a deeper look at Mad Men that definitely appeal to fans of the show. The book only focusses on the first three seasons, and perhaps as a result, the essays are a bit repetitive when taken as a whole, with the several scenes raised in to or more essays. ( )
  xander_paul | Jul 27, 2014 |
I had not watched the "Mad Men" as it aired over the past five years. Instead I ended up watching it as a compilation of the episodes and I got hooked. The popularity of the series speaks for itself, this book takes it one step further by taking a look at the many life events and drama shown in context of philosophical meaning.

An interesting approach that allows one to think and ponder all the myriad issues philosophy brings about. Never easy, for me anyway, I found the philosophical topics raised in relation to the program provided an enjoyable and thought provoking angle. It opened up a vista of insights to its popularity and how our past historically and culturally has shaped where we find ourselves today. ( )
  knightlight777 | Mar 2, 2013 |
From the moment Sally Draper appeared with a plastic dry-cleaning bag over her head, only to be scolded for leaving her mother's clothes on the floor, I was hooked on Mad Men.

This book adds another layer to what I enjoy about the show (and it’s proof that I’m not the only one who takes the show too seriously). My background in philosophy is one entry-level college course, but frequent references to the series made the book easy to understand. The examples can be a bit repetitive, but the importance of, for example, Betty serving Heineken beer at her dinner party, cannot be overstated.

If the editors and contributors have a favorite Mad Men punch line, it’s the episode "Guy Walks into an Advertising Agency," probably my favorite punch line, too. So much of this book feels like an inside joke; even the editing was done with a great sense of humor – note the appendix “It’s Not a List of Titles and Air Dates; It’s an Episode Guide.” I highly recommend the show and the book. ( )
  sarah-e | Apr 13, 2012 |
This series of essays about the popular television series Mad Men is divided into four parts: “Problems of Knowledge and Freedom,” “The Problem of Meaning,” “Mad Men and Ethics,” and “Mad Men and Social Philosophy.” Written by a wide variety of philosophy scholars, the essays vary in quality, content, and purpose. Some use the series as a way to explain particular philosophical concepts (with the emphasis on the concepts), while others are more focused on interpreting the series and its characters. I prefer the latter essays. Some of the highlights for me are “The Existential Void of Roger Sterling” and most of the book's fourth part (“Mad Men and Social Philosophy”), where race, feminism, and friendship are explored in great detail. I give it three stars, because I think there is a bit too much overlap in the content of several of the essays and it is lacking in some areas that I would expect to be present (essays on economic philosophy from more varied perspectives, maybe a little something on alienation, etc.). Moreover, I had to listen to an essay by an Ayn Rand fanatic. Really?! That never helps. So overall, meh. ( )
  DorsVenabili | Mar 31, 2012 |
An interesting book, especially the chapter explaining how Pete Campbell will never be happy because he can't forget the small injustices that are an inevitable part of life. Thanks Nietzche. The book is too long, though, and the quality is uneven. Written after just three seasons there isn't enough Mad Men to go round: certain Don Draper quotes are repeated ad nauseum. Enjoyable, though, and certainly worth reading if you have Mad Men withdrawal symptoms. ( )
1 vote sunjata | Aug 5, 2011 |

A look at the philosophical underpinnings of the hit TV show, Mad Men

With its swirling cigarette smoke, martini lunches, skinny ties, and tight pencil skirts, Mad Men is unquestionably one of the most stylish, sexy, and irresistible shows on television. But the series becomes even more absorbing once you dig deeper into its portrayal of the changing social and political mores of 1960s America and explore the philosophical complexities of its key characters and themes. From Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle to John Kenneth Galbraith, Milton Friedman, and Ayn Rand, Mad Men and Philosophy brings the thinking of some of history's most powerful minds to bear on the world of Don Draper and the Sterling Cooper ad agency. You'll gain insights into a host of compelling Mad Men questions and issues, including happiness, freedom, authenticity, feminism, Don Draper's identity, and more.Takes an unprecedented look at the philosophical issues and themes behind AMC's Emmy Award-winning show, Mad MenExplores issues ranging from identity to authenticity to feminism, and moreOffers new insights on your favorite Mad Men characters, themes, and storylines

Mad Men and Philosophy will give Mad Men fans everywhere something new to talk about around the water cooler.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:11 -0400)

This collection of essays takes an unprecedented look at the philosophical issues and themes behind AMC's Emmy Award-winning show, Mad Men,exploring issues ranging from identity to authenticity to feminism, and more.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,940,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible