Heroes Return by Moira J. Moore

Heroes Return

by Moira J. Moore

Series still going strong and stay-up-all-night reading. In this entry, Lee and Taro start their assignment at his childhood home. Much more of Taro's background and family, more about castings, more about the emperor's plotting -- and not much more I can say without spoilers. ( )
  Spurts | Oct 29, 2015 |
Lee and Taro are sent to Taro's hated family home where they face a new threat to them and the cousin Taro picked to take his place.

Another fast moving and enjoyable entry into the series. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Jul 21, 2013 |
Read this out of order... now I MUST go back and read the whole series!! ( )
  literatethoughts | Jul 11, 2013 |
When you read a book in an established series you really, really like (and I really like this series) reviews are hard.

Interesting are the further intimations that this is going to be a fantasy series with a nod to SF underpinnings. That this is a world that people came to from another one.

If I had a complaint about this book, it would be that it's another chapter in what is clearly going to be a fairly long series. It isn't that the current immediate plot isn't set up and resolved. It is, and very nicely. But I want to know what is really going on!

I also sometimes am a little exasperated with our heroine's role as the unreliable narrator, but she's getting a little more of a clue and I end up loving both of the main characters, and wanting the next book RIGHT NOW!
  romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |
Everybody knows Sources aren't supposed to be stationed in their home territories. And everybody also knows the Emperor isn't supposed to dictate where Source and Shield get posted. Unfortunately, no one appears to have informed the Emperor.

For Lee and Taro, the posting to Flown Raven couldn't have come at a more inopportune moment. Only recently settled back into High Scape, the order is a shock in more ways than one. It's far from a peaceful homecoming - intrigue, treachery, jealousy, earthquakes, gale-force wind, and a witch-hunt by the Emperor's guard.... never a dull moment with these two!

The upside: Lee's character is finally not quite so woodenly written.
The downside: Taro's jealousy is so transparent that it's practically impossible to believe Lee doesn't get it. And what's with Spoiler Alert killing off a semi-main - to this installment - character with barely a tear shed on the part of anyone?

Obviously things are heating up to a showdown between Triple S and the Emperor - any bets as to who gets caught up in the action? ( )
  SunnySD | Aug 8, 2011 |
To Lucy Maud Montgomery,
whose books I still read occasionally.
A scene in Anne of Green Gables
influenced one of the scenes in this book.

When Lee Mallorough and Shintaro Karish reluctantly obey the Emperor's command to protect the duchy of Westsea, the homeland Taro has renounced, they find deadly earthquakes and their arrival precipitates a political crisis.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible