Three Nights with a Scoundrel by Tessa Dare

Three Nights with a Scoundrel

by Tessa Dare

Wow! What a finish to the Stud Club trilogy! I stayed up way too late finishing it -- and I never saw the surprise coming straight at me. There's also a beautiful romance here, between Julian, the bastard son of a nobleman, and Lily, the deaf sister of his murdered friend Leo. Tessa Dare just does everything right in this one! ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
I wasn't sure what to think going into this novel. I wasn't very impressed with Julian in either of the previous two books. He came across as angry, uncaring, selfish, vain and altogether a not-very-likable character. I vowed to have an open mind, but we all know how that is.

So it's with great pleasure that I say I absolutely adored Julian.

When his best friend Leo was murdered, Julian Bellamy vowed two things; to find the murderers and bring them to justice and to see Leo's sister, Lady Lily, settled into a good marriage. He loves Lily enough that he wants to see her settled with a man of her own class - something he can never be.

Lily is heartily sick and tired of Julian putting himself in danger by searching out her brother's killers. No one wants justice for his murder than she, but not if it's going to cost her Julian. He's been her best friend as long as she can remember, and she doesn't want him putting himself in danger. Lately he's been like a man obsessed. He hardly eats, rarely sleeps and her concern for him grows more every day.

When he insist yet again that she marry, she agrees to return to society, but only if he accompanies her. He must give her three nights - escort her to three events - or she'll quite happily retire to the country alone. For Julian, spending three nights with Lily is both heaven and hell. He longs for her, but knows he can never have her. It's the worst sort of torture to be near her and know she can never be his.

Lily is deaf. I really loved how strong she was. She didn't shy away from the truth of her feelings and she wasn't afraid to put herself out there. She was happy to try new things, or go on adventures, or put her heart on the line. She was very refreshing.

One of the things that frustrated me about the previous novel, Twice Tempted by a Rogue, was that the class differences between the hero and heroine weren't fully explored. That wasn't the case here. Julian really thought about what it would mean for Lily to be with him.

I expected to be annoyed by Julian, or to have his insistance that Lily marry be too much. But instead I sympathized with him and adored him. He really only wanted what was best for her. In so many novels the hero thinks, "Damn the consequences!" and while that can be very exciting, it's also not very realistic. Dare really showcased just how much Julian truly cared for Lily, in actions rather than words.

The problem wasn't with them being in love. It's obvious from the beginning that Julian cares for her and it isn't long before Lily realizes she loves him as well. The problem is that Julian isn't good enough.

Though I understand, and appreciate, the class differences between them and why Julian wanted better for Lily, it was harped on a bit too much. Julian constantly pushes Lily away because he isn't good enough. It became too much for me, especially near the end.

He also had a major secret he kept from her, almost until the last page. Why he kept it from her is beyond me. His insistence that he had to be "Good" for her and that she was "everything" to him frustrated me. The good news is, it also frustrated Lily. She didn't let him get away with much, including keeping her in the dark.
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
4.5 stars

Julian and Lily's story was very compelling. They both thought they didn't truly deserve love, Lily because she was deaf and therefore thought she was cumbersome. Julian because he was a scoundrel and a cheat... but only because he thought he had to.

Their story was very sensual, and I was cheering for them to get their act together so they could just be happy and in love :) ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
The final installment of the Stud Club trilogy where Julian Bellamy may finally catch the murderer of his best friend - or better yet admit to his true feelings for his best friend's sister Lily. When the case threatens to shine light upon the ugly past of Julian Bellamy, he tries hard to deny his feelings for Lily and instead urge her to consider better men who are worthy of her hand. Will Lily heed his advice for once - or will she instead make a choice that may bring ruin to them both?

Three Nights did not tickle my fancy as its 2 predecessors. I could not really connect with the starring couple - and I don't know if my initial impression of Julian (negative) might have influenced my feelings toward him in Book 3. Lily seemed far too sweet and not feisty enough to garner much interest from me. Definitely read Three Nights if you are curious to find out the whodunit, but I would stop at Twice Tempted if it's the romance that has you hooked. ( )
  theepicrat | Apr 16, 2011 |
Intriguing finale to a tightly knit trilogy. While you could read this book on it's own, a lot of the plot is set-up in earlier books so I would definitely recommend reading those first. ( )
  reesa00 | Jan 4, 2011 |
Elyssa, this stud's for you. Thanks for being his fan from the very beginning.
Lily awoke with a rough shake on her arm.

The third time is the charm.

The bastard son of a nobleman, Julian Bellamy is now polished to perfection, enthralling the ton with wit and charm while clandestinely plotting to ruin the lords, ravish the ladies, and have the last laugh on a society that once spurned him. But meeting Leo Chatwick, a decent man and founder of the exclusive Stud Club, and Lily, Leo’s enchanting sister, made Julian reconsider his wild ways. When Leo’s tragic murder demands that Julian hunt for justice, he vows to see the woman he secretly loves married to a man of her own class.

Lily, however, has a very different husband in mind. She’s adored Julian forever, loves the man beneath the rakish facade, and wants to savor the delicious attraction they share — as his wife. His insistence on marrying her off only reinforces her intent to prove he is the only man for her. Obsessed with catching a killer, Julian sinks back to the gutters of his youth, forcing Lily to reach out with a sweet, reckless passion Julian can’t resist. Can her desire for a scoundrel save them both–or will dangerous secrets threaten more than their tender love?

"The bastard son of a nobleman, Julian Bellamy is now polished to perfection, enthralling the ton with wit and charm while clandestinely plotting to ruin the lords, ravish the ladies, and have the last laugh on a society that once spurned him. But after meeting Leo Chatwick, a decent man and founder of an elite gentleman's club, and Lily, Leo's enchanting sister, Julian reconsiders his wild ways. And when Leo's tragic murder demands that Julian hunt for justice, he vows to see the woman he secretly loves married to a man of her own class. Lilly, however, has a very different husband in mind. She's loved Julian forever, adores the man beneath the rakish façade, and wants to savor the delicious attraction they share--as his wife. His insistence on marrying her off only reinforces her intent to prove that he is the only man for her."--from cover p.4.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible