Twice Tempted by a Rogue by Tessa Dare

Twice Tempted by a Rogue

by Tessa Dare

231950,068 (3.61)5

Deja vu. A few lines into the second volume of the Stud Club trilogy, I realised that Ms Dare had picked one of the supporting cast of [b:One Dance with a Duke|6809488|One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)|Tessa Dare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320399651s/6809488.jpg|7016868] -- not necessarily the most sympathetic -- and decided to make him the hero of Book Two.

Fortunately, she removes him physically from the focus of the first volume and provides brief but welcome respite from the continuing saga of the Stud Club. Sadly, 'brief' is the operative word. Two of the characters from [b:One Dance with a Duke|6809488|One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)|Tessa Dare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320399651s/6809488.jpg|7016868] return to help resolve the mystery surrounding the murder of the founder of the Club, so [b:Twice Tempted by a Rogue|6950701|Twice Tempted by a Rogue (Stud Club, #2)|Tessa Dare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320483029s/6950701.jpg|7185142] fails as a stand-alone read.

However, such weaknesses are more than balanced by two outstandingly original romantic leads: a male aristocrat traumatised by parental abuse and years of bloody soldiering, and a self-reliant and sexually confident female inn-keeper.

One or two of the characters were drawn with suspiciously subdued strokes -- probably an indication that they will star in the third volume of the trilogy.

The physical descriptions of bleak Devon moorland and the idyllic village that forms the setting for most of the story were particularly well done.

As with the first volume, the romantic climax slips into stereotyped dialogues and reunions. The saga of the Stud Club could easily have closed with [b:Twice Tempted by a Rogue|6950701|Twice Tempted by a Rogue (Stud Club, #2)|Tessa Dare|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1320483029s/6950701.jpg|7185142], but a third volume remains to be read.
  skirret | Jan 2, 2015 |
This chapter in the Stud Club Trilogy is a little darker than the first. Rhys St. Maur is that kind of hero, and the heroine is a widowed innkeeper who has led a far from easy life. Still, it's a interesting story -- although there is precious little progress made toward solving the overarching murder mystery. Forward, then, to the next installment. ( )
  LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |
This is the 2nd book in Dare's Stud Club series. I was really looking forward to it because Rhys intrigued me in the first book. He was so bent on self-destruction I wanted to see how his character would develop and what his past would reveal.

On that score I wasn't disappointed. Rhys really came alive for me. His past and his self-destructive bent were explained well, and we got a lot of insight into his character.

On the opposite side was Meredith. If Rhys was dark, brooding and complex, Meredith was light, open and uncomplicated. She was just a simple woman trying to make a living for herself, her father and the village she loved.

Rhys decides fate had decreed that he and Meredith marry. He thinks it's because of him she's had to work hard to make a living for herself all these years and that her father was injured and lost his job. He also feels responsible for the state of the village. His solution is to marry Meredith and rebuild his manor, which will save her from having to work so hard plus offer jobs to the village people.

I understood where both of them were coming from; Rhys wanted to make things right and finally settle down with someone who would give him peace; Meredith wants to be wanted for herself, not because fate said so or Rhys had "nothing else to do".

Unfortunately something was lost in translation. While I appreciated both their positions, I wasn't as emotionally invested in either one of them as I expected to be. I became annoyed with both of them on several occasions for not talking things out.

cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
3.5 stars

Not as sweet as the first book, but still very enjoyable. Romance, intrigues, misunderstandings, and finally, possible HEA. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Okay, this may sound silly, but I tend to get a little teary whenever I read a decent romance. When I picked up Twice Tempted, I wasn't expecting it to completely blow Book 1 out of the waters - holy SMOKED KIPPER, did I ever bawl my eyes out! Which is why I am writing the review for Book 2 first - don't get me wrong, I adored Book 1 (One Dance With A Duke) - but I loved Twice Tempted so much more!

I don't think I've met a more emotionally-charged couple than Meredith and Rhys - they were so achingly love/hate, yes/no, go away/come back - that I just got swept in their relationship. It was really adorable to see Rhys try to bully Meredith into marrying him after one day and, even though she refused, he went ahead with building their cottage with his bare hands to prove his seriousness. Not to mention, I laughed at how he tries to circumvent Meredith's adamant refusal and carries on with their "engagement" because he knows she'll cave eventually. He only got more attractive when he finally listens to Meredith and attempts to woo her, though he manages to always say and do the wrong things. His intentions and sincerity were just to die for - and it is simply mind-boggling to see how long Meredith tried to resist him!

Meredith, on the other hand, was not the usual virgin-in-distress - she was perfectly capable of handling herself and running an inn to drive the entire village's economy. It was great to see a woman who wasn't inhibited by manners and societal rules, but instead independent and hard-working! She didn't need Rhys and his lordly riches - she could manage just fine on her own financially - but Meredith didn't count on falling in love with Rhys for just being himself, a 110% sincere man who is trying very hard to do the gentlemanly thing despite wanting to do all sorts of naughty things to her!

Twice Tempted was such an unexpected delight! The plot was very engaging with a whole motley crew of characters, and Ms. Dare threw in a few plot twists that kept my curiosity purring like a contented cat - and when I finally hit the final aha!, was I ever stunned! Quite simply, the title sums my reaction very accurately since I am sorely tempted to re-read at least once more (maybe twice!) and dream about Rhys and his Wolverine-like gorgeousness some more! ( )
  theepicrat | Jan 18, 2011 |
For Amy, Courtney and Leigh

Thanks for a great weekend in the mountains and for all your help with this book.
Rhys St. Maur, newly Lord Ashworth, was a broken man.

How long could she resist him?

Luck is a double-edged sword for brooding war hero Rhys St. Maur. His death wish went unanswered on the battlefield, while fate allowed the murder of his friend in the elite gentlemen’s society known as the Stud Club. Out of options, Rhys returns to his ancestral home on the moors of Devonshire, expecting anything but a chance at redemption in the arms of a beautiful innkeeper, who dares him to take on the demons of his past — and the sweet temptation of a woman’s love.

Meredith Maddox believes in hard work, not fate, and romance isn’t part of her plan. But when Rhys returns, battle-scarred, world-weary, and more dangerously attractive than ever, the lovely widow is torn between determination and desire. As a deep mystery and dangerous smugglers threaten much more than their passionate reckoning, Meredith discovers that she must trust everything to a wager her heart placed long ago

"Luck is a double-edged sword for brooding war hero Rhys St. Maur. His death wish went unanswered on the battlefield, while fate allowed the murder of his good friend in the elite gentleman's society known as the Stud Club. Out of options, Rhys returns to his ancestral home on the moors of Devonshire, expecting anything but a chance at redemption in the arms of a beautiful innkeeper who dares him to take on the demons of his past--and the sweet temptation of a woman's love. Meredith Maddox believes in hard work, not fate, and romance isn't part of her plan. But when Rhys returns, battle-scarred, world-weary, and more dangerously attractive than ever, the lovely widow is torn between determination and desire. As a deep mystery and dangerous smugglers threaten much more than their passionate reckoning, Meredith discovers that she must trust everything to a wager her heart placed long ago."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,001,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible