My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

My Name Is Memory (2010)

by Ann Brashares

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Passion by Lauren Kate (Sukisue7)
    Sukisue7: Similar themes of past lives, past histories, reincarnation, soul mates.
    The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North (LAKobow)
    The Here and Now by Ann Brashares (LAKobow)
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A romance involving a paranormal relationship with the male character living a long history with the femaile seemingly from present time.
    Fallen by Lauren Kate (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similar and equally dreadful.

English (115)  Italian (1)  All languages (116)
This book has one of the worst endings I've personally read in a long time. Actually, the last third in general with the villain with pretty weak motivations and SURPRISE! Pregnancy are pretty freaking awful. The world created in this book was fleshed out enough to save it from only getting one star. ( )
  rkcraig88 | Jul 15, 2019 |
3.5-4

There were parts I really enjoyed, but the back and forth between past and present bogged the story down for me.

I liked it, but it didn't quite live up to the hype and rave reviews. :-/ ( )
  jawink22 | Feb 6, 2019 |
Quite different from what I typically read but I thoroughly enjoyed the "history" in this book. I was a little let down with the ending, it really left an opening of questions and possibilities. ( )
  Chelz286 | Aug 26, 2018 |
I do not like Romances. There. I said it. I don't. I am a curmudgeon. Or, just a book snob.

The biggest problem I had with this book was the writing style. I wish that Brashares would invest in some dictionaries and maybe a writing class. The number one thing I love about good fiction is when I'm shown not told and this story was only concerned with convincing me how badly Daniel needs Sophia to love him. Even though she doesn't and even though they never got together before now. Somehow he always has to "make her" fall in love with her. Which bothers me.

If you were given the chance to remember past lives, to remember everything, I would hope that I would not squander this gift by only finding happiness in seeking out a woman that I just "felt" like I was supposed to be with. I get that it was a love story but why does a love story have to neglect all the good and bad things in life?

Also, my final issue, is that Daniel repeatedly says he has this awesome memory but then will say things like "I don't remember what language it was" and then two pages later he says they are speaking Greek. Totally a lame reason to not like a book but it irked me. ( )
  ylimejane | Feb 7, 2018 |
Although I wouldn't have picked a Young Adult Fiction genre, the title hooked me. I loved Daniel's 'voice' and the historical element of the story. I couldn't put it down and it completely carried me into his world. ( )
  Cathy_Donnelly | Jan 29, 2018 |

Sanders, FredDirectorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stark, JanetExecutive Producersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilson, GabrieleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yeomans, JaneCover photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Not asking the sky to come down to my good will,
Scattering it freely forever.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
For my dearest Nate, who has a gift for remembering
I have lived more than a thousand years.

A romance that stretches across centuries and past lives constitutes the core of Brashares's varied second adult novel, the first in a planned trilogy. The story is primarily that of Daniel, as, in the present, he pursues Lucy (whom he knows as Sophia in a previous life) and attempts to persuade her of their history and destiny, but his passion initially and understandably scares her off. He disappears, presumed dead, but Lucy, unable to forget him, investigates his claims of their history until she discovers the truth.

In this story of true love, a man spends centuries falling in love with the same girl.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Brashares's book My Name Is Memory was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,478,615 books! | Top bar: Always visible