My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

My Name Is Memory (2010)

by Ann Brashares

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Passion by Lauren Kate (Sukisue7)
    Sukisue7: Similar themes of past lives, past histories, reincarnation, soul mates.
    Fallen by Lauren Kate (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similar and equally dreadful.
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A romance involving a paranormal relationship with the male character living a long history with the femaile seemingly from present time.

English (97)  Italian (1)  All languages (98)
This is a love story that spans centuries, through the rebirth of souls over those centuries and the quest for redemption and happiness. Daniel has “the memory”, the ability to remember his former lives in great detail. Sophia is the love of his life – the words “soul mate” never truer. But the fates are not always kind and that is the premise of the book.

I was compelled to pick up this book when I saw it mentioned on a website. As I started the book I immediately started to recollect a similar story told in Andrew Davidson’s GARGOYLE. Although this book held its own, the comparison is inevitable and in my opinion GARGOYLE had more meat and teeth. This story was a little slow moving in parts, made me feel I wanted to nudge the characters and say, “just get on with it”. The story picks up in the last third of the book and I am definitely glad I finished it. The ending was a bit of a cliff hanger, so I suspect there is a sequel in the making?
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
This book explores the theme of incarnation which I am very fascinated with it. The book make us believe, at some point, that our dreams and things we can't understand about ourselves is because we lived lives before this one. This is a beautiful magical love story, filled with story and passion. I cried and I felt hurt. I love this story and I am sad that the book finished. I will never get over this book, I will never forget this story that broke my heart and made me feel alive again. ( )
  melanielost | Feb 16, 2015 |
I don't understand what the point of this book is. There was no substance to anything that happened, the characters were flat, the idea was good but the execution was horrible. I should've known from the cover that this wouldn't be a great read. ( )
1 vote Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
Reminded me a lot of The Time Travelers Wife. But still wondering if the end is really the end. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
A love story containing a few moments of thought-provoking interaction buried under a whole lot of blech. Can one have intense apathy toward a character? I guess so, since it's the best way to describe my feelings about Daniel. Yeah, dude, keep trying to force your love-of-multiple-lifetimes into a mold she no longer fits. That's definitely the way to treat someone you love. ( )
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Not asking the sky to come down to my good will,
Scattering it freely forever.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
For my dearest Nate, who has a gift for remembering
I have lived more than a thousand years.

A romance that stretches across centuries and past lives constitutes the core of Brashares's varied second adult novel, the first in a planned trilogy. The story is primarily that of Daniel, as, in the present, he pursues Lucy (whom he knows as Sophia in a previous life) and attempts to persuade her of their history and destiny, but his passion initially and understandably scares her off. He disappears, presumed dead, but Lucy, unable to forget him, investigates his claims of their history until she discovers the truth.

In this story of true love, a man spends centuries falling in love with the same girl.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,073,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible