My Name Is Memory by Ann Brashares

My Name Is Memory (2010)

by Ann Brashares

1,2041106,655 (3.59)50
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (distractedmusician)
    distractedmusician: Love that transcends the limits of time.
    Passion by Lauren Kate (Sukisue7)
    Sukisue7: Similar themes of past lives, past histories, reincarnation, soul mates.
    Twilight by Stephenie Meyer (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: A romance involving a paranormal relationship with the male character living a long history with the femaile seemingly from present time.
    Fallen by Lauren Kate (kraaivrouw)
    kraaivrouw: Similar and equally dreadful.

English (110)  Italian (1)  All (111)
I have to say I was SO disappointed with this book. :( The main plot of the book is so interesting and could have been done so much better. It was very slow moving and the time periods that Daniel lived during weren't even that interesting. It wasn't until the very end of the book that I could start to actually like the two characters as a couple because they were rarely together during the first 3/4 of the book! It didn't fit that Daniel was SO in love with Sophia/Constance/Lucy when he had never really gotten to know her. He spent a lot of the time totally pining over her and not doing anything. Then you have the antagonist who also rarely makes an appearance, has no real motive and never is given an ending. Actually the whole book isn't really given an ending. It just sort of stops. I have no idea what happened to Daniel or Lucy. If the ending wouldn't have been left so open and things had actually been wrapped up better then I think I would have walked away from this book with a better feeling. I guess if you like slow moving star crossed lover type stories you will like it. Not that I always have to have a happily ever after but I at least expect SOME sort of ending!! ( )
1 vote KeriLynneD | Aug 8, 2017 |
This was an interesting premise for a book, and one that was executed very well. A man's soul is reincarnated -- the twist is that he remembers all his previous lives. In the first life he remembers, he accidentally caused the death of a young girl. He sees the girl time and again in different forms throughout his lives. Once she becomes his sister-in-law, the wife of his abusive older brother. During this life he falls in love with her and helps her escape her husband. After this he intentionally seeks her out in every life. This story is told in flashbacks. In his current life Daniel is a high school boy, having followed the girl who develops a "crush" on Daniel. This was a well told story and I could hardly tear myself away from the book. I look forward to future books from Brashares. ( )
  dorie.craig | Jun 22, 2017 |
The ending of this book. No words. Well, except frustrating. ( )
  brideofsevenless | Apr 18, 2017 |
I thought this book had a lot of promise. But ultimately I felt that it spent too much time in the past. I think the book would have benefited more with more scenes in the present. I didn't expect that because the whole reason I picked this book up was because I was interested in the historical aspects it had and the traveling through time. But as a entertaining story, there wasn't enough prose about how all that traveling through time ultimately changed Daniel as a person. I really liked the flashback sections. So perhaps more of the contemporary sections would have balanced it out nicely. An entertaining read but nothing special for me. ( )
  Kassilem | Dec 30, 2016 |
Interesting idea, clumsily executed. I kept thinking it was a YA book. The voice of the protagonist is confusing (sometimes first person, sometimes third) and had jarring colloquial language. Similar idea done better in "The Gargoyle". ( )
1 vote jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
Not asking the sky to come down to my good will,
Scattering it freely forever.
- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself"
For my dearest Nate, who has a gift for remembering
I have lived more than a thousand years.

A romance that stretches across centuries and past lives constitutes the core of Brashares's varied second adult novel, the first in a planned trilogy. The story is primarily that of Daniel, as, in the present, he pursues Lucy (whom he knows as Sophia in a previous life) and attempts to persuade her of their history and destiny, but his passion initially and understandably scares her off. He disappears, presumed dead, but Lucy, unable to forget him, investigates his claims of their history until she discovers the truth.

In this story of true love, a man spends centuries falling in love with the same girl.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Brashares's book My Name Is Memory was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Brashares is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Ann Brashares chatted with LibraryThing members from Jun 6, 2011 to Jun 10, 2011. Read the chat.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,604,600 books! | Top bar: Always visible