One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale…

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale (edition 1997)

by Demi, Demi (Illustrator)

Member:yvaine
Title:One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
Authors:Demi
Other authors:Demi (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1997), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:@read, 2012, mathematics, childrens book, picture book, India, @own, fiction

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale by Demi

Recently added byImperfectCJ, glhs, MATraxler, Degan6, kchlibrary, patience13, laribailey, private library, etwdavis

I had never heard of Demi until a few weeks ago but once I saw her work I fell absolutely in love. When I discovered this book I knew it was a perfect fit for a math book. Beautifully done as always. I love that it also taught a lesson (don't be greedy) and that it included a doubling numbers chart in the back of the book. ( )
  kesteves | Dec 1, 2015 |
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. I really liked how the author made math fun from this story, that the illustrations fit the style of the text, and that the plot was unique. The first reason I really liked this book is that the writer took the concept of multiplication and used it to tell a folktale with message. The author makes the math plot interesting as she tells the reader how it is done and then shows how the rice doubles every day and how it goes from just one grain of rice to two hundred and fifty-seven elephants to carry all of the rice. I also really liked how the illustrations were done to fit the style of the story; the characters were drawn as Indian and the colors used are the main colors of the Indian culture. The illustrations also show creatures that are important in the Indian traditions like elephants, tigers, and camels, allowing the reader to be immersed into Indian culture. Finally, I really liked how this plot was unique and not something I have read before. It includes girl power but also how math fits into many different stories. Even different math books have not been able to incorporate two plots together like this story did. The main idea of this is to never be greedy, as you will get what is coming to you; it is also about how math can be used in a fun matter. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Dec 1, 2015 |
BCCB Blue Ribbon Book (1997)
Shalom Readers Club Book List (Grade 3-5)
math, folklore, acts of kindness, trickery
Ways to use this book:
*Use as example of folklore
*Use to prompt discussion of acts of kindness
*Read this and a trickster tale. Compare. Did the main character act in the way a trickster does?
*Use for math class ( )
  tawnyao | Jul 17, 2015 |
In this story, the ruler of a town in India hoards the peoples' rice and refuses to pass out the rice when his people are in need. He rewards the girl for returning some rice to him and she tricks him by asking him for a grain of rice and doubling the amount of rice every day. She is eventually able to pass out rice to the entire town, even the ruler.

Being a math major, this obvious intro to a math lesson intrigues me.

1. The students could be introduced to lower level multiplication with this book.
2. The students could be asked to find India on a map and assess the differences between the lifestyle in the book and their own.
  vhein | Jul 9, 2015 |
Summary of the book

There was a Raja who lived in India, he ordered all the people of India to give him most of their rice so he could store it in case of a famine. One year later a famine hit and the people were hungry but,the Raja would not pass out the rice like he promised. One day a village girl named Roni made a deal with the Raja and tricked him into giving her all of the rice. She then passed it out to all of the hungry people in the village; she even left a basket for the Raja.

Personal Reaction

I really did not have a personal connection to this book. However, I really liked the pictures, they were very precise and detailed. I also, really enjoyed the lesson behind this book.

Extensions-

We could all locate India on the map one by one. Each student that was not locating India on the map would have to have they back facing the board, and one by one the students could come up to the map and see if they could find India without any help, or hints.

After all the students knew where India was on the map we could play pin the star on India. One by one each student would be blind folded and we could see who could pion the star closes to India.

There were different animals in the book that carried the large baskets of rice. We could research what kinds of animals are popular in India. We could also look up the animals there and compare them to the animals we see here in America.
  A_Kolinski | Jul 8, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059093998X, Hardcover)

Exotic, beautiful, and instructive, this "mathematical folktale" by author-illustrator Demi emerged from her love of India. The narrative and the evocative illustrations combine to create a real sense of the culture and atmosphere of this romantic land.

It's the story of Rani, a clever girl who outsmarts a very selfish raja and saves her village. When offered a reward for a good deed, she asks only for one grain of rice, doubled each day for 30 days. Remember your math? That's lots of rice: enough to feed a village for a good long time--and to teach a greedy raja a lesson.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:16 -0400)

A reward of one grain of rice doubles day by day into millions of grains of rice when a selfish raja is outwitted by a clever village girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,000,962 books! | Top bar: Always visible