One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale…

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale (edition 1997)

by Demi, Demi (Illustrator)

Member:yvaine
Title:One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
Authors:Demi
Other authors:Demi (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1997), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:@read, 2012, mathematics, childrens book, picture book, India, @own, fiction

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale by Demi

This folk story tells the tale of a raja who most of the rice that the Indian people grew, and said he was saving it for when they needed it most. But when they went into a famine, the raja did not give them the rice. A young girl from the Indian village noticed that rice was leaking from a basket that was being taken to the raja for a feast of his, and collected the rice in her skirt. She brought it to the raja and he promised her anything she requested as a reward for her good deed. She asked one grain of rice, and for each day for 30 days that he would give her double the rice he had given her the day before. He did as she said, and over time, the amount of rice that the girl was given grew to enormous size. The raja had not expected the doubling to add up to so much, and he ends up with no rice for himself. The girl gives the raja one basket of rice, and tells him he can only have as much rice as he needs from now on. The raja agrees, and he becomes fair and just.
  jresner | Apr 15, 2015 |
An important mathematical lesson, a brave and smart young girl, a raja who learns humility, and beautiful illustrations - what more could you want? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Overall I liked this story. The story made me hurt for Rani at the beginning, because I thought trouble was starting, but then as the book went on I began to cheer for her. The story is one of justice and kindness. It is also a book showing that one person can make a difference for many others. The illustrations were also beautiful and added to the story. ( )
  ehayne1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
I loved reading this book! It was almost like a version of Robin Hood- the main character took from the rich to give to the poor, but showed her character at the end by still letting the king have his share of the rice. I think this book is great to read to children of all ages, because the main idea of the story really is kindness, fairness, and treating others as you want to be treated. The plot was well paced and organized, and by incorporating aspects of math, it created a story that can be used for multiple subjects. ( )
  ehopki7 | Mar 12, 2015 |
I greatly enjoyed “One Grain of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale”, the central message of which was that good prevails when one who rules over others is fair and just. I liked the story’s language, which was clear and descriptive. Although some of the numbers in the story were staggering, the reader is easily able to follow along with the concise way in which the ideas are conveyed. In addition, the manner in which the story was told was engaging and well-paced. The actions of the raja and Rani moved along at a steady pace; no part of the story dragged or felt rushed. I also loved the illustrations in this book. They enhanced the story by adding intricate and lively visuals to what occurred in the text, such as the different royal animals delivering the raja’s rice to Rani. I felt that the style of the illustrations fit the written text, which was almost poetic in nature. This book is definitely one that I would like to have in my future classroom library. It incorporates lovely illustrations, engaging text, and mathematics into an enjoyable folktale that young children would surely find entertaining. ( )
  kkadal1 | Feb 28, 2015 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059093998X, Hardcover)

Exotic, beautiful, and instructive, this "mathematical folktale" by author-illustrator Demi emerged from her love of India. The narrative and the evocative illustrations combine to create a real sense of the culture and atmosphere of this romantic land.

It's the story of Rani, a clever girl who outsmarts a very selfish raja and saves her village. When offered a reward for a good deed, she asks only for one grain of rice, doubled each day for 30 days. Remember your math? That's lots of rice: enough to feed a village for a good long time--and to teach a greedy raja a lesson.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:27 -0400)

A reward of one grain of rice doubles day by day into millions of grains of rice when a selfish raja is outwitted by a clever village girl.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,603,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible