One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale…

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale (edition 1997)

by Demi, Demi (Illustrator)

Title:One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
Other authors:Demi (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1997), Hardcover, 40 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:@read, 2012, mathematics, childrens book, picture book, India, @own, fiction

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale by Demi

An important mathematical lesson, a brave and smart young girl, a raja who learns humility, and beautiful illustrations - what more could you want? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I use to love this book! Well I still love it and I have read It about 15 times! ( )
  the.jenna.bean | Apr 20, 2016 |
One Grain of Rice is a mathematical folktale from India. I liked this story for four reasons. First, the author paces the story skillfully. Before introducing the main character, the author takes a few pages to set the scene and describe the problem at hand.

Second, I liked the main character’s personality. Rani, a young Indian woman, uses logic, wit, and math to help her community survive a famine. Rani’s resourcefulness is showcased in the beginning of the story, when she devises a plan to outwit a greedy raja (king). The author gives the reader a better picture of Rani’s cleverness on the last page, where she inserts a chart of Rani’s winnings.

Third, I enjoyed the detailed writing and illustrations. The small historical details made the book feel authentic. For example, after Rani tricks the Raja into giving her 64 bags baskets of rice, the author writes that the Raja needed “thirty-two Brahma bulls” to deliver Rani’s winnings. The illustration on the page literally shows all 32 bulls.

And fourth, I liked the message this book presents to readers. Rani’s bold plan helps the reader see the value in taking only what one needs. Additionally, Rani’s story shows the importance of helping one’s community. ( )
  ElanaRubinstein | Feb 6, 2016 |
I had never heard of Demi until a few weeks ago but once I saw her work I fell absolutely in love. When I discovered this book I knew it was a perfect fit for a math book. Beautifully done as always. I love that it also taught a lesson (don't be greedy) and that it included a doubling numbers chart in the back of the book. ( )
  kesteves | Dec 1, 2015 |
I really liked this book for a couple of reasons. I really liked how the author made math fun from this story, that the illustrations fit the style of the text, and that the plot was unique. The first reason I really liked this book is that the writer took the concept of multiplication and used it to tell a folktale with message. The author makes the math plot interesting as she tells the reader how it is done and then shows how the rice doubles every day and how it goes from just one grain of rice to two hundred and fifty-seven elephants to carry all of the rice. I also really liked how the illustrations were done to fit the style of the story; the characters were drawn as Indian and the colors used are the main colors of the Indian culture. The illustrations also show creatures that are important in the Indian traditions like elephants, tigers, and camels, allowing the reader to be immersed into Indian culture. Finally, I really liked how this plot was unique and not something I have read before. It includes girl power but also how math fits into many different stories. Even different math books have not been able to incorporate two plots together like this story did. The main idea of this is to never be greedy, as you will get what is coming to you; it is also about how math can be used in a fun matter. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Dec 1, 2015 |
Long ago in India, there lived a raja who believed that he was wise and fair, as a raja should be.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 059093998X, Hardcover)

Exotic, beautiful, and instructive, this "mathematical folktale" by author-illustrator Demi emerged from her love of India. The narrative and the evocative illustrations combine to create a real sense of the culture and atmosphere of this romantic land.

It's the story of Rani, a clever girl who outsmarts a very selfish raja and saves her village. When offered a reward for a good deed, she asks only for one grain of rice, doubled each day for 30 days. Remember your math? That's lots of rice: enough to feed a village for a good long time--and to teach a greedy raja a lesson.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:16 -0400)

A reward of one grain of rice doubles day by day into millions of grains of rice when a selfish raja is outwitted by a clever village girl.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,761,876 books! | Top bar: Always visible