Friendly Fire by Megan Hart

Friendly Fire

by Megan Hart

I received this from Netgalley but that had no bearing on my review. I also have posted the review to the blog (http://scorchingbookreviews.blogspot.com)

Police officer Kendall is sent on a therapeutic retreat after her partner is shot, by friendly fire, during a drugs bust. Feeling incredibly guilty for not doing everything to save her partner, she doesn't feel that she should be on such a fabulous retreat. She feels worse with the realisation that she will be spending some quality time with the officer she dislikes the most; Alex Zane. Zane is the officer responsible for her partner’s death, and he makes her plain uncomfortable. With his massive stature and movie star good looks, Zane certainly cuts an imposing figure on their Island paradise, aswell as in her fantasies. After realising that he feels worse than she does about the incident, she gives into their mutual attraction. The therapist warns them both against starting up a relationship when their emotions are so raw, but is this the start of some long term healing for the both of them?

I always review short stories with one question in mind; do I wish it were longer? The answer for this one is a resounding yes. I liked both of the characters and I liked the premise. Kendall and Zane didn’t jump between the sheets on page 2, which would often be the case in a short story, but I felt this was appropriate for the background of this tale. Kendall needed to realise that Zane wasn’t unaffected by the whole situation; that he did care that he killed a man. Only then did she feel comfortable enough to feel something for him. The sexual tension builds nicely, with the attraction building on each side, before they finally allow themselves to admit to each other the amount of lust they feel (the mutual masturbation scene was smoking....reminded me of a scene from Sex and The City :D ) I loved the sex scenes. From the scene where Kendall makes Zane show him how he “Fakes it”, to the scene where they have sex on the rocks, I just felt pure lust and affection from both characters. I hate it when the characters just walk away from each other at the end of the tale so this one worked out well for me. It’s a story that made me smile and kept me entertained. Definitely a writer to watch.
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
Actually more 2.5.

It was a good story but if it had been a bit more developed or fleshed out it could have been a great story. Things seemed to be a bit chopped and didn't seem to move smoothly from scene to scene. The doctor and the session just seem to disappear about half way through the story and things like that. ( )
  KatyBethMcKee | Mar 31, 2013 |
Friendly Fire is a fantastic short story! Agent Kendall Frasier and Agent Vincent Zane are at odds. Zane accidentally killed Frasier's partner in the call of duty. They are sent off to an island retreat as part of a psych evaluation. While she is hell bent on hating him forever - her body is a bit more forgiving.

Hart does a fantastic job of weaving this erotic tale. It's tastefully written, the story line is both interesting and engaging. If you've got a few moments to spare, this is a short worth picking up! ( )
  g82hug | Apr 25, 2011 |

After Agent Kendall Frasier's partner is shot in "friendly fire" during a drug bust, she agrees to take a week's vacation on a tropical island as part of her psychiatric evaluation. Sand, sun, sea--what could be better to help her work through her guilt? Even if the presence of the man responsible for the shooting, Agent Zane Vincent, seems counterproductive to her mental health. As Kendall gets to know Zane, and realizes he feels worse about what happened than she does, it becomes impossible to hate him. And their mutual attraction becomes impossible to deny.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,146,250 books! | Top bar: Always visible