The Technician by Neal Asher

The Technician (2010)

by Neal Asher

Blood, guts, Jain tech and Atheters!

Another excellent addition to the Polity Universe. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I will have to re-read this as I am not sure what was happening towards the end... partly due to reading it in bits, and when jet-lagged. There seemed to be a lot going on, and the gathering on of threads on a vast scale was familiar to me from Iain M Banks; but the sense of this passed me by this time... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
I would have given this 3.5 stars if half stars were allowed as it's not quite up there with my 4 Star reads.(Edit: Hooray as a new LibraryThing member i can give half stars!) however as a fan of the Spatterjay series I had a good time reading this one. Lots of wondrous and deadly fauna and flora, which can kill you in some pretty nasty ways, an assortment of AIs, humans, adapted humans, villains, and a mysterious creature that builds twisted sculptures from it's victims bones! I did miss the cheeky humor of the Spatterjay novels, however the story was intriguing and well paced.

Although The Technician is supposedly a stand-alone novel it does link heavily back to events in one of Ashers other Novels "Line of Polity" so it would be worth reading that one first. Both books are fast-paced and entertaining and make for some good holiday reading. ( )
  TillyTenchwiggle | Sep 26, 2013 |
These days, nobody does space opera like Neal Asher. This is a rollicking read, full of suspense, pyrotechnics, and puzzles, all set within the Polity universe Asher has been working within for so long. The conclusion promises even more complications for future novels set in the Polity universe, and for the planet Masada which is one of several Asher created and keeps returning to. ( )
  nmele | May 21, 2013 |
One of the few books I've read recently and given up on. It includes so much unexplained background information that at one point I stopped to double-check that it wasn't a sequel. It's not. Giving up on Asher after this one - read a couple of others that were OK, but this just doesn't do it for me. ( )
  SimonChamberlain | Dec 26, 2012 |

Neal Asherprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sullivan, JonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Martin Asher
1955-2010
Too soon, brother. Too damned soon
The sculpture had been mounted on a rock which, though far from the Northern Mountains of the continent, Chanter knew to be the tip of a mountain itself submerged in the underlying tricone-generated soil of the planet Masada.

The Theocracy has been dead for 20 years, and the Polity rules on Masada. But the Tidy Squad consists of rebels who cannot accept the new order. Their hate for surviving theocrats is undiminished, and the iconic Jeremiah Tombs is at the top of their hitlist.… (more)

Neal Asher is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,987,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible