Other People's Weddings (Petit Morts, #4) by…

Other People's Weddings (Petit Morts, #4)

by Josh Lanyon

Very good one. I liked the MC very much and the whole story of the wedding from hell to plan was very well done. ( )
  Tam2603 | Apr 18, 2013 |
Well written, of course, but to me unfinished. Not just the romance (which was barely begun), but the story and the emotional arc of Griffin. The central mystery was OK, but sort of extraneous.

I was left with many questions and things I didn't quite believe. Joe and Mallory got married at a registry office? Really? That is so contrary to everything we know about Mallory that I can't really believe it. How did Chance and his chocolates affect what happened in the story? I unmarked this as paranormal because I can't see that they did. Why did three people accuse Griffin of murder? It amped up the suspense and brought Griffin and Hamar together, but it seemed unlikely that they would do something quite so idiotic and pointless. Did Mallory know about Joe and Griffin? If so when? Was that why she fired Griffin? And how did that fiasco affect his business?
  Charming2020 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This story was a good read and had some unexpected twists. ( )
  KatyBethMcKee | Mar 30, 2013 |
I enjoy reading Josh Lanyon's work. I feel like it is a guarantee that the storyline won't turn out to be a crappy one - you know, one with weak storyline, or immediate sex. With Lanyon, there is a nice flow of the storyline.. and the characters.. interesting how Lanyon gets us to be interested in his characters.

When I first started reading Other People's Wedding, I thought I was reading something different. No more murder. No more detective story. No more guy and guy-in-law-enforcement storyline. I even thought he was producing a male version of any Kinsella's work, minus the humor. And then, Hammer came along, and I felt I was reading almost a recycled work. Hard to be harsh on Lanyon since that I find his work to be above average too often.

I still like this novella. I think it is cute to be trapped in the world of a wedding planner and to see the commotion in this heartless job. I think Lanyon got it right, but then again, how should I know.. I am not married and never get any wedding planner to be in trouble with me before.. I just adore Lanyon's work. ( )
  starlight70 | Jan 10, 2012 |
Other People’s Weddings is a romance with a dark shade, but not too much dark to tinge the pink feeling of the story. Griff is a wedding planner, probably the epitome of “gay” job, and of course he is gay; more he is probably one of the few openly gay men in the little town where he lives, and he is planning the wedding of his secret lover, Joe. Joe is not exactly Griff’s dream lover, but he is at least a lover, something Griff is missing. I think Griff doesn’t estimate himself good enough to be allowed to have a “public” lover; other than moral issues that should have forced him to not accept the job, there is also the very real downfall economic trend, Griff really needs the job, and Joe’s soon to be wife’s family is among the wealthiest of the town. So Griff is grinding his teeth and doing the bitter work with a sweet smile on his face.

Then, just when he is almost done with it, Griff meets again Hammer/Hamar, former high school mate and nemesis; at the beginning the reader doesn’t understand Griff’s cold attitude towards Hamar, a prank joke in high school seems too little thing for a long lasting resentment; something like that you could expect from a wounded lover: for example, Griff is not saving the same cold behaviour with Joe, and Joe is marrying a woman! Little by little the truth is unveiled and maybe for once, Griff will have to plan his own happily ever after.

The story is nice and sweet, very romantic but not at all sexy; despite this, I think it’s a very good romance, and it’s strange, since the only sex scene is not even between the two romance heroes, who neither share a kiss. There is a whole entire story after what happens in this novella, the author can decide to write it or to let to the reader the task to build it in its mind, in any case he gave enough details, in the characters, in the setting and in the story to not leaving the reader, at the end of the story, with the feeling that something was untold.

elisa.rolle | Jun 16, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,647,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible