The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

The Mockingbirds (edition 2010)

by Daisy Whitney

Member:Mikazuki
Title:The Mockingbirds
Authors:Daisy Whitney
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney (Author)

A decent story, but it felt rushed at times. I would have liked to see the characters explored a bit deeper; a lot of the side-characters seemed kind of flat. ( )
  majesdane | Aug 8, 2017 |
  stephhwilliams | Jul 12, 2017 |
I thought this was a very good story that was well written. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I thought this was a very good story that was well written. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Although a few of the characters were a bit flat and contrived this is a very impressive first novel. It handles a delicate subject very tactfully and with great grace. It sends a very positive message for those readers that are in the same predicament as Alex. ( )
  MegAnastasi | Oct 26, 2015 |
Authentic and illuminating, this strong debut explores vital teen topics of sex and violence; crime and punishment; ineffectual authority; and the immeasurable, healing influence of friendship and love.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg

The novel is never preachy, nor does it stray into feminist manifesto, but it does lend a voice to those who often have difficulty finding their own.

For my husband, Jeff...
You have the wiliest mind,
the best sense of humor,
and my heart for always.
That, and you found the dog...
Three things I know this second: I have morning breath, I'm naked, and I'm waking up next to a boy I don't know.

From Goodreads:

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it

When Alex, a junior at an elite preparatory school, realizes that she may have been the victim of date rape, she confides in her roommates and sister who convince her to seek help from a secret society, the Mockingbirds.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,770,598 books! | Top bar: Always visible