The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney

The Mockingbirds (edition 2010)

by Daisy Whitney

Member:RonnieMac_ox
Title:The Mockingbirds
Authors:Daisy Whitney
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 352 pages
Rating:*****

The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney (Author)

I thought this was a very good story that was well written. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I thought this was a very good story that was well written. ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
Although a few of the characters were a bit flat and contrived this is a very impressive first novel. It handles a delicate subject very tactfully and with great grace. It sends a very positive message for those readers that are in the same predicament as Alex. ( )
  MegAnastasi | Oct 26, 2015 |
Here’s the thing with The Mockingbirds: It’s a brave book that tackles the subject of date rape very well. I thought Whitney was a great writer and all of the aspects of this book that dealt with the event of rape and what happened after, as well as the accompanying emotions, were incredibly well done and heartbreaking. If that was the story Whitney had decided to tell, I would have really liked this book. It would have been hard to digest, but I would have invested in Alex’s(the main character) story.

Where this book went drastically downhill for me was in the inclusion of The Mockingbirds, which was problematic as a reader since that’s the main focus of the story. The thing with the Mockingbird group–the student-led group that hands out justice on fellow students for wrongdoing– is that it just doesn’t work for a rape case. At all.

Some of the the incidents the Mockingbirds mentioned taking care of–like bullying–probably would make an interesting story for the group to right the wrongs. But rape is a CRIME, and I was never going to be satisfied with the outcome of the book when I knew that STUDENTS were determining a “punishment” for the rapist(I use the word punishment lightly there because really, what’s a fitting punishment for rape? Nothing).

Unfortunately, if it hadn’t been for that part of the book, I think this would be a book I would rate very highly. Date rape is a tricky subject to talk about sometimes, because there seems to be an idea that sometimes date rape victims are “asking for it” depending on what they wear(they’re not, by the way), and rape culture tends to obscure date rape in particular, so I think the themes presented in this book are so, so important. There’s a great bit of dialogue towards the end about what consent actually means and the difference between consensual acts and RAPE, which is a pretty big line. So on one hand, I think this type of book is important. On the other hand, I don’t really feel like the “punishment” handed out should EVER be thought to be sufficient punishment for rape. Because it’s not, and I just found that really not okay.

Summary: I’m hesitant to not recommend this at all, because there’s a lot of important issues talked about in this book, and Whitney navigates the after-math of date rape well. What I had a problem with though, is the way the students in her book took it upon themselves to punish a criminal in a way that when found guilty, his punishment did NOT fit the crime. I don’t like the idea of that punishment being thought of as “punishment” because it’s really nothing compared to his crime, and that angers me a bit. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
I think I didn’t write a review for The Mockingbirds because I couldn’t find the right words for it. The Mockingbirds deals with rape and sexual assault, and it made me feel discomfort in a way that Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and Just Listen by Sarah Dessen did not. Not that the book was distasteful– it just seemed all so real the way protagonist Alex Patrick re-lived that night and the way she avoided confronting people following the attack. And what makes matters worse, her attacker’s “boys will be boys” attitude just makes me taste bile.

I only have two concerns with the Mockingbirds. First is Whitney’s execution. I felt like some aspects were redundant. The author seemed to explain how the Mockingbirds worked and the purpose of the vigilante group frequently, like it was a concern that the reader would forget from two chapters prior. I’m also a little weary of the resolution. SPOILER ALERT! I appreciate the idea behind the Mockingbirds, especially since the school’s faculty seems to turn the other cheek to the horrific incidents described in the book. But, I felt like the punishment delivered was the equivalent to a slap on the wrist. Yet Alex was okay with it. It made me angry because I didn’t feel like any justice had been served.

I know the story of the Mockingbirds continues, but I don’t know if I will read on or not. I’m not sure how it could possibly measure up to book one. Then again, maybe Alex will realize she didn’t get the justice she deserved, and maybe she’ll seek out a better resolution. Like with actual legal implications. ( )
  books_n_tea | Apr 1, 2014 |
Authentic and illuminating, this strong debut explores vital teen topics of sex and violence; crime and punishment; ineffectual authority; and the immeasurable, healing influence of friendship and love.
added by khuggard | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg

The novel is never preachy, nor does it stray into feminist manifesto, but it does lend a voice to those who often have difficulty finding their own.

For my husband, Jeff...
You have the wiliest mind,
the best sense of humor,
and my heart for always.
That, and you found the dog...
Three things I know this second: I have morning breath, I'm naked, and I'm waking up next to a boy I don't know.

From Goodreads:

Themis Academy is a quiet boarding school with an exceptional student body that the administration trusts to always behave the honorable way--the Themis Way. So when Alex is date raped during her junior year, she has two options: stay silent and hope someone helps her, or enlist the Mockingbirds--a secret society of students dedicated to righting the wrongs of their fellow peers.

In this honest, page-turning account of a teen girl's struggle to stand up for herself, debut author Daisy Whitney reminds readers that if you love something or someone--especially yourself--you fight for it

When Alex, a junior at an elite preparatory school, realizes that she may have been the victim of date rape, she confides in her roommates and sister who convince her to seek help from a secret society, the Mockingbirds.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,246,177 books! | Top bar: Always visible