Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) by Jackie…

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) (edition 2010)

by Jackie Morse Kessler

Member:Ellesee
Title:Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse)
Authors:Jackie Morse Kessler
Info:Graphia (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, eBooks, 50 Book Challenge 2012
Rating:****1/2

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) by Jackie Morse Kessler

I’ve had this book on my TBR for a long time, but some part of my brain pigeon-holed it as “another anorexia book,” so it took me a while to get down to reading it. Fortunately, it was well-written, focused and interesting, with a mythological twist that kept me reading. It’s definitely worth the read!

I like that this book is so short. There are many, many 400-page YA books that I just want to slice down to half the page-count because the protagonists spend so much time wandering around, wondering what to do and wondering who they are. Hunger gets right down to the story, who the characters are, and what they want and need.

Lisa, an anorexic who is about to commit suicide, is chosen as the new Famine, who is one the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Death is the one who gives her the job, and he seems to be the leader of the four. War and Pestilence come into the story, too, in their own ways. I really enjoyed how the Four Horsemen were modernized, so to speak, and it was really interesting how Lisa’s struggle with anorexia feeds into her role as Famine, and how her role of Famine influences the rest of her life choices. Death, War, and Pestilence were all really interesting characters in their own right, although we don’t get to completely know any of them; this is one of the drawbacks of the shortness of the book. However, there are three sequels for the three Horsemen aside from Famine. Death was the most intriguing and fleshed out (so to speak).

Lisa’s adventures as Famine, both in faraway countries and close to home were very interesting, but every time she got on her horse (Midnight, who is much nicer than you might expect from a Horseman’s steed), the tone of the book became almost surreal and very dream-like. I liked that. It made you question a little just how much of it was really happening, but it doesn’t really matter because it all reflects what is happening in her real life so well.

There is also a small cast of human characters in Lisa’s “real” life. Her boyfriend James and her ex-BFF Suzanne have realized Lisa has a problem and are trying to help her. Her new best friend, Tammy, is bulimic, and Lisa looks up to her but comes to realize that Tammy isn’t as confident or self-controlled as Lisa had though. Lisa’s parents are polar opposites but were a really great part of the cast. Her mom and dad are both flawed, realistic characters but still her parents.

There are a lot of detailed descriptions of anorexic or bulimic habits, which were really unpleasant to read but really helped me to understand the lengths people with those illnesses will go to feel some sort of control over themselves. Obviously, it’s really sad, and Hunger, through Lisa and Tammy, helps you understand and sympathize with those characters.

(my review also posted on my blog, bahnree.wordpress.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |

(my review also posted on my blog, bahnree.wordpress.com) ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
The approach to the topic is interesting and turns a problem novel into a fantasy novel. It's a great technique that makes the issue of anorexia manageable.

Even if a reader has no experience with an eating disorder they can relate to this novel because of Lisa's "thin voice." It's safe to say that everyone has a voice. It could be a thin voice, the devil on one shoulder and the angel on the other, the voice that says the truthful answer when we speak the lie. In every case, the voice is there.

There are other issues sprinkled in the novel as well. Lisa's relationships with her mother and father are sketchy as well as the relationship with her boyfriend.

The tense occasionally felt off and I found myself rereading passages in a few places. Third person can be tricky (as I've experienced in my own writing).

I tried to read this shortly after it came out, but wasn't able to get very far. I'm very glad I gave it another try. Great title. I'm looking forward to Rage. ( )
  jennk | Mar 11, 2016 |
Lisabeth is fighting anorexia and is suicidal. When she goes to pop some of her mom's pills, Death pays a visit and gifts her Famine's scales of balance. She is now one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and must ride her black stead. Lisabeth now sees the world differently and is able to reflect on who she is and the importance of having balance in life. I really enjoyed this book and how the author meshed a social issue with an interesting paranormal adventure. The only downfall was the story was too short, I wanted more. At under 200 pages the story was a quick read and worth every turn of the page. I can't wait to read the sequels featuring other horsemen facing other social issues: cutting and bullying. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Jackie Morse Kesslerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lisabeth Lewis didn't mean to become Famine.

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

Seventeen-year-old Lisabeth has anorexia, and even turning into Famine--one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse--cannot keep her from feeling fat and worthless.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,866,266 books! | Top bar: Always visible