Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) by Jackie…

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) (edition 2010)

by Jackie Morse Kessler

Member:Ellesee
Title:Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse)
Authors:Jackie Morse Kessler
Info:Graphia (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 180 pages
Collections:eBooks, Read, 50 Book Challenge 2012 (inactive), Your library
Rating:****1/2

Hunger (Riders of the Apocalypse) by Jackie Morse Kessler

Recently added byVerkruissen, clockwork_serenity, private library, susan259

Lisabeth is fighting anorexia and is suicidal. When she goes to pop some of her mom's pills, Death pays a visit and gifts her Famine's scales of balance. She is now one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and must ride her black stead. Lisabeth now sees the world differently and is able to reflect on who she is and the importance of having balance in life. I really enjoyed this book and how the author meshed a social issue with an interesting paranormal adventure. The only downfall was the story was too short, I wanted more. At under 200 pages the story was a quick read and worth every turn of the page. I can't wait to read the sequels featuring other horsemen facing other social issues: cutting and bullying. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
I thought I wasn't going to like Hunger at all. I don't always do so well with issue books, but the idea of a fantasy issue book intrigued me and I ordered it for the library collection because I thought it would be a good way to bring an important issue to a different group of kids. Lisa is anorexic and in denial. She thinks she needs to be skinny to earn her mother's approval and to be good enough for her boyfriend so she counts calories and over excercises. One night Death shows up at her door and offers her the job of Famine, one of the four horseman of the Apocalypse.

Death appears in the guise of Kurt Cobain, now I love Nirvana but Lisa calls him old. Kurt Cobain was popular and died while I was in elementary school which wasn't that long ago. That's not old. Lately people calling thing's that happened in the ninties old has been making me a little touchy.

Other then that I really liked the book. I really liked all of the other horseman. I liked the way Pestilence and Famine found ways to use their powers both to destroy and to rebuild. I also really loved Midnight. He was so sweet to her and if I had a horse I would want him to be like that.

I thought it was important that becoming Famine is not an easy fix for Lisabeth. Yes it teaches her about balance and that is a lesson that she is sorely in need of. It also helps make her a stronger person. But at the end of the story she still needs to go get counseling and more help to become healthy again. I thought that was really important. This was a quick read that presents an important issue in an interesting and clever new way. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Jackie Morse Kesslerprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yuen, SammyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lisabeth Lewis didn't mean to become Famine.

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”

Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?

Seventeen-year-old Lisabeth has anorexia, and even turning into Famine--one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse--cannot keep her from feeling fat and worthless.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,189,101 books! | Top bar: Always visible