Paddington Bear by Michael Bond

Paddington Bear (original 1998; edition 1992)

by Michael Bond, John Lobban (Illustrator), John Lobban (Photographer)

Title:Paddington Bear
Authors:Michael Bond
Other authors:John Lobban (Illustrator), John Lobban (Photographer)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (1992), Hardcover, 1 pages

Paddington Bear by Michael Bond (1998)

English (9)  Finnish (1)  All languages (10)
I liked this book a lot. It's the first book in a series, and tells a very cute story of a bear that gets lost on a voyage and is adopted by a family when found at a train station. They name him Paddington and find that he's very accident-prone and generally very messy. They accept him for who he is, though - an adventurous little bear with a heart of gold. I like the plot/theme of the story and think it sends a very wholesome message to its readers about accepting peoples' quirks and differences. Its language isn't overly-simple but is still engaging and easy to understand. Tougher vocabulary/phrases such as "Darkest Peru" and "voyage" are used frequently. It also introduces some interesting pragmatics when certain characters are introduced and talk in a different voice than the authors'. When they catch a cab with a messy Paddington, the driver goes "'Bear is extra...sticky bears is twice as much. And make sure none of it comes off on my interior. It was clean when I set out this morning.'" His accent shines through his dialogue, which helps make the story relatable and interesting to its readers. It's organized well and has a nice rhythm/pace. It's told in the third person; in my opinion, I think it would be even more successful if told from the couple or Paddington's point-of-view. Its illustrations are recognizable - you know just from the style alone that it's a Paddington book. It doesn't necessarily push any tough issues on the readers or challenge them; it definitely takes its place as a cute, classic story. ( )
  scorco2 | Sep 29, 2015 |
Paddington bear gets left at the train station where a family finds the out of place bear. They take him home and in spite of some silly misunderstandings and lots of messes they fall in love with the bear and decide to keep him ( )
  Kasey.Merrick | Sep 1, 2015 |
This is a story about a bear named Paddington. Paddington was found abandoned in London and taken in by a British family named Mr. and Ms. Brown. The story tells of all his wonderful adventures as well as his mishaps every now and then. He filled the life of the Brown's with much excitement, and also kept them on their toes at all times. All they knew of him was the sign that he wore around his neck saying, "Please look after this bear. Thank you.", and this was were the famous story began. Paddington is a book that I would recommend to others because it is such an amazing book. There is a reason is has become such a popular children's book! ( )
  la560 | Apr 9, 2015 |
i really enjoyed this book! Paddington charms his way into your heart just like he charmed his way into the Brown family's hearts. One of my favorite parts of the story was when Paddington went to the opera for the first time and thought the acting was real so he went back stage to tell the person who played the father in the play that he should not throw his daughter out! The author did such a good job portraying this angry bear standing up for what he thought was right. I also really enjoyed the part of the book where he is putting on a magic show for the family and he "accidentally" breaks the grumpy old neighbors watch. Everything Paddington gets himself into is because of his curious nature and independent ways. I love how the Brown family was patient with Paddington and found the humor in everything that he did. One of my favorite characters was Ms. Byrd. I liked her character because even though she was thought to be strict, she always had a soft spot for Paddington. My two boys and I listened to this story at night on CD. When we were finished listening to it, they wanted me to read it to them! I think my first graders will enjoy hearing this story next year. ( )
  Jdwalker | Jun 2, 2014 |
A good illustrated and abridged introduction to the Bear Paddington. He's just as outrageously clumsy and obnoxious (but oh, so well meaning!) as I remembered him. This book covers the first two chapters of the original story, published in 1958 and explains how he gets into the Browns' care. The illustrations are warm, cute and full of humor, very much in the spirit of the original. ( )
  Fjola | Oct 17, 2013 |
One day Mr. and Mrs. Brown were standing in Paddington station.

Forty years ago, a small bear from Darkest Peru set out on the adventure of a lifetime. Carrying a battered suitcase containing several jars of marmalade, and wearing a tag around his neck that read Please Look after This Bear, he stowed away on a ship and landed in Londons Paddington Station. As luck would have it, the Brown family found him, named him Paddington, and welcomed him to their home and into the hearts of millions of readers.Since 1958, Paddington Bear has charmed readers worldwide with his humorous misadventures. In celebration of Paddingtons 40th birthday, Michael Bonds original story of Paddington Bear has been beautifully reillustrated by artist R.W. Alley.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:26 -0400)

Adopting for their own the lost bear they find in Paddington Station, the Browns have some exciting first moments with him.

3 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,861,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible