Parson's Pleasure by Mollie Hardwick

Parson's Pleasure (original 1987; edition 1987)

by Mollie Hardwick

Title:Parson's Pleasure
Authors:Mollie Hardwick
Info:St Martins Pr (1987), Hardcover, 199 pages
Tags:box 6

Parson's Pleasure by Mollie Hardwick (1987)

I was absolutely charmed by the first book in this series, Malice Domestic, and I wasn't surprised-- Mollie Hardwick wrote the novels accompanying such PBS hits as Upstairs, Downstairs and The Duchess of Duke Street.

Unfortunately, I wasn't as charmed by this second book. Oh, there are still literary references that remind me of Dorothy Sayers and descriptions of antiques that put me in mind of Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy-- I just can't turn my nose up at wit and wisdom-- but the sparkle is definitely missing in this outing. Everything in Parson's Pleasure feels vaguely familiar, and Doran commits two sins that are high up on my Say It Ain't So list. (1) She withholds information from the police, and (2) she knew there was a murderer on the loose yet still sneaked off by herself to check a hunch.

Even though I am a bit disappointed with Parson's Pleasure, I'm going to read on in the series. Chelmarsh has an absolutely hideous daughter who is quite capable of creating spectacular trouble for Doran and Rodney. I want to see how Hardwick deals with her-- especially since the author planted such strong foreboding in this book! ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 8, 2015 |
This book is NOT 10 pages! 178 pages ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
I found this slight British mystery a lot of fun. The author maintains a light and breezy tone, which is well supported by both the style of the writing and the natures of the primary characters. The protagonists are a lovely young antiques dealer and her SO, the widowed local vicar. They escape for a potentially scandalous vacation together and get involved with the theft of a houseful of valuable pieces. The vicar quotes minor literary figures every third page or so, but doesn't get tiresome. The two are an attractive couple, and I found myself caring what happened to them. There is a prequel, for which I will keep an eye out. ( )
  Jim53 | Aug 1, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449220311, Mass Market Paperback)

When Doran Fairweather's feckless partner shows up out of nowhere with a rare clock, Doran doesn't trust the explanation and travels to return it. With her gentleman friend, the vicar, traveling with her, they mix business with pleasure until a gypsy's mysterious warning becomes clear--and dangerous....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,668,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible