The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood…

The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood Undermines the Status of Women (2010)

by Elisabeth Badinter

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hm, well: not quite what I was expecting. Elisabeth Badinter has written this rather polemical work on the modern concept of Motherhood (the capital letter is deliberate, as Badinter finds the concept to be almost mythological in its power and scope) and the ways in which it confines and oppresses modern women. So, FYI: don't be thinking this is a research piece. She cites research but does not discuss it in depth; mostly this is a big strop on the sheer weirdness of the cultural shift away from female equality and back to the iconic Guardian Spirit of the Home.

And don't get me wrong: I actually agree with some of this. I am watching women my daughter's age crucify their "friends" on Facebook for sins against Proper Mothering: They feed their child two French fries instead of whipping up organic baby food! That sling they use is completely out of date! Have they taken pictures of that baby to record every hour of its life? No? Whyever not? A Good Mother would.

Badinter minces no words. She is disgusted by the current trend which makes mothers completely subservient to their infants, hyper-vigilant to their every whim and fancy; and she is even more disgusted by the impact this will inevitably have on women's ability to obtain higher status in society. A women tethered to her baby for years and years of nursing is not a woman with a high-status job; but, as she rightly points out, a woman who cuts any corners is rapidly becoming a pariah, judged mercilessly by her peers and by society as a whole as a Bad Mother.

I was interested in all that. The things I did not like were: the polemical nature of the book; the fact that it is written in French and translated into English, which causes the prose to be rather clumsy; and Badinter's ultimate conclusions, which seem to include praise for French woman who are bucking the trend by smoking and drinking during pregnancy and refusing to breastfeed. Unlike women in other European countries! She seems to link this to Frenchwomen's history of turning their children over to nannies so that they could concentrate on holding literary salons and whatnot. So that was peculiar. But still: a worthwhile read, if only as a counterweight to the endless onslaught of Being The Perfect Mommy books. ( )
  2chances | Jun 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A controversal book claiming that increased pressure to be “natural mothers” is holding back women’s advancement in our society.

Combining motherhood with a meaningful life outside the home is certainly one of the major issues for women today, whether or not we are feminists. I definitely agree with Badinter that we need to stop thinking of all women as mothers. I also agree that as a society we need to be supportive of mothers rather than demand that they meet ridiculous expectations. I have major problems, however, with Badinter’s claim that various groups are pressuring women to devote their whole lives to natural, time-consuming mothering and thus threatening women’s advancement in the world outside their homes.

See the rest of my review at my blog. http://tinyurl.com/bmz556b
  mdbrady | Jun 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
First of all, this is an ideological book-not an academic one. There are few reliable studies, statistics, or even quotes to back up Badinter's claims. This is an exploration of ideas and a conversation/thought starter. I prefer more academically focused books, but I understand that gender studies and social issues don't always lend themselves to that sort of examination.

With that said, I found this to be a quick, entertaining, and thought provoking little book. There seems to be only a vague sort of thesis, and the final chapter...on a previously barely mentioned specific topic (French motherhood), really seems to be the focus of the book. I did find this to be rather thought-provoking and compelling despite the fact that there is nothing backing Badinter's claims. Like other books on social issues (The Beauty Myth comes to mind) this takes a very specific topic-standard motherhood within the context of marriage/committed relationship without more than passing reference to any sort of single parenthood, same-sex couples, or other "nontraditional" types of families. It explores a short history (though really only 20th century in any sort of depth and with little or no specific sources) of motherhood and its changing meanings/responsibilities. This is all rather fascinating if not groundbreaking or new.

What was really interesting was the ultimate claim-that the form of modern motherhood practiced in the US, France, etc. effectively controls and limits women in supposedly egalitarian/sex-equal societies. Again, this is not really new, but still interesting, compelling, and thought provoking. I would be interested in reading more on the topic, but probably only if it was a bit more academically oriented. As in, some sort of research. But Badinter does give an interesting introduction to a fascinating topic, and does it fairly well if a bit repetitively. ( )
  freckles1987 | Jun 9, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was intrigued by the premise behind "The Conflict": is it possible that the ways we are trying to be better mothers are, in fact, holding us back as women? Badinter's book, however, is flawed in many ways. The work is entirely heteronormative, and assumes parents are solely opposite-sex couples; a few references are made to single mothers, but no discussion is given to same-sex couples or single fathers. Often she is lacking statistics to back up her claims, so she relies on excerpts from popular French novels to support her arguments (anecdotal evidence from real mothers, I could handle, but fictional passages have little place in a text such as this one). Badinter's argument feels out of place in 2012; her brand of feminism is dated, as she clearly opposes women who choose to prioritize children over career.

The copy that I read was an ARC, so it was not the final text. There were many typos and instances of mistranslated syntax that were hopefully corrected before the final edition went into print. ( )
  collsers | May 29, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The best advice I ever received on raising children came from my husband’s aunt. Right before my first son was born, she told me to trust myself. “You’re both intelligent people,” she said, “and you’re not going to do anything really stupid. If someone, family or stranger, tells you you’re not doing it right and you think you are, ignore them.” I’ve followed that advice for almost 9 years now and I have two pretty healthy, relatively happy kids to show for it.

As sensible as this advice is, it’s extremely hard to follow. As Elisabeth Badinter points out in her book, The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood Undermines the Status of Women, plenty of people know what’s best for your baby. What if you (or your husband or your chosen medical professional) don’t agree? Well, you’re just wrong. The “mommy wars” are in full swing and Badinter has thrown herself in front of the La Leche League/Attachment Parenting bus. Though Badinter is commenting on how the return to “natural child-rearing” has affected French mothers, anyone who’s had a baby in the U.S. in the last 25 years will recognize the scenarios: The claims of the clear superiority of breast-feeding, the idealization of the stay-at-home mom, the push to switch to part-time (moms only, of course) so you can spend more time with the babies, the gains of the women’s movement effectively erased by the needs of the child.

Badinter’s use of statistics to refute some of the wilder claims of the baby-first movement is welcome as is her analysis of how the movement has moved to prominence in the last 30 years or so. I was also intrigued by her comparisons of birth rates and family-friendly governmental policies (hint: it’s not what you might think!). But, overall, this book is just adding more fuel to the fire, albeit, on the lesser heard, “moms are people, too” side. It would be nice to read a book that speaks to the majority of women who are not breast-feeding and sleeping with their child to age 5, nor are they popping a bottle in his mouth and dropping him at daycare for 10 hours at one week old. I think Badinter tried to write this book, but ultimately, failed. ( )
  Laffrey | May 24, 2012 |
So why is it that her book, impressively researched, elegantly argued and forcefully written, feels, in the end, so profoundly wrong? Not just intellectually outmoded, not just emotionally somewhat off, but actually, for this reader — as I suspect will be the case for many American readers — downright offensive?

Identifies vulnerabilities in today's parenting models for women, arguing that current recommendations are imposing 1950s-era limitations at the expense of women's health, fatherhood, and child independence.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood Undermines the Status of Women by Elisabeth Badinter was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,159,738 books! | Top bar: Always visible