Sonnets for Sinners: Everything One Needs to…

Sonnets for Sinners: Everything One Needs to Know About Illicit Love

by John Wareham

521,436,638 (2.83)None

John Wareham's Sonnets for Sinners is a book of poems I would recommend to those who enjoy reading sonnets, who love poetry, and those who are just starting to read poetry. Wareham includes the classic sonnets of William Shakespeare and William Yeats, but he also crafts new sonnets from the words (available in the public domain) of famous figures, like Tiger Woods, Elizabeth and John Edwards, and Princess Diana.

What's most unique about this volume is the insight provided by Wareham. He analyzes each poem, offers up lines that illustrate his examinations, and even poses questions that illicit laughter.

Discussing Shakespeare's Sonnet 129: "To begin with, says the poet, sinners bypass rationality -- past reason hunted -- then, the moment the lusty act is completed they unreasonably despise themselves -- past reason hated -- for succumbing to a swallowed bait on purpose laid to make the taker mad. The devil made me do it!" (Page 11)

Sonnets for Sinners is broken down, categorizing sonnets into attractions, fevers, lamentations, farewells, endings, and epiphanies. For anyone interested in reading more poetry, particularly classic sonnets and classic poets, readers would enjoy the commentary from Wareham. It is not only informative, but witty. ( )
  sagustocox | Mar 1, 2010 |
Posted here Synopsis: (from the book's jacket) Illicit love brings, thrill and tumble, intrigues and elations, secrets and lies, broken promises and shattered hearts-then, with a little luck, reflection and epiphany. It's a subject dear to clear-eyed poets, and the impassioned journeys and piercing insights in this subversive compilation will startle even as they enchant. To succumb to the spell of this catechism-and the absorb the wry accompanying analyses-is to know why the New York Times observed, "John Wareham has the cool, clear eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth."
My Thoughts: Generations of couples have had to deal with this devastating betrayal. The author breaks down the stages of disloyalty into the categories of: Attractions, Fevers, Lamentations, Farewells, Endings and Epiphanies. He has taken 49 poems over time and explore what these sonnets are truly saying and mean in today's culture.
My Opinion and Rating: And I will preface this by saying that this is my opinion, and my opinion only. Those that are not of the same belief system or who enjoy poetry may have a totally different view. That being said, I did not enjoy and/or like this book due to the aforementioned belief system and the morality that I feel that this society lacks. I also thought that certain people named in this book was unnecessary and, I would think, would cause further humiliation. I felt that those named, should only need to deal with these issues privately, and not be exploited as an example to sell a book of poetry. (Rating 2) ( )
  CMash | Feb 27, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,432,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible