The Third Reich by Roberto Bolaño

The Third Reich (2010)

by Roberto Bolaño

English (11)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (1)  All languages (15)
Excellent gaming content. ( )
  triphopera | Apr 14, 2018 |
Actually more like 3.5. I found this novel to be quite interesting and incredibly readable. Bolano's style is enjoyable to read and I'm definitely excited to read some of his more well-known titles.
I found this novel confusing at times but once I realised that's how it's supposed to be read I quite enjoyed it. Although I guess it would've helped if I knew what war games are and how they are played because I still only understand them as far as the novel explained them, which wasn't that much. ( )
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
  ebethiepaige | Oct 17, 2015 |
Non mi vengono parole. Che dovrei dire?
Non perche' è un capolavoro, anche se si legge molto bene. Non perche' è una 'sola', perche' i romanzi di Bolano non lo sono.
E' morboso, inquietante, non c'e' niente di piu' desolante di un paesaggio di mare a stagione finita, con il brutto tempo che avanza e le persone che rientrano a casa propria.
I rapporti assurdi che B. descrive rendono quasi malata la lettura e gli ambienti. Come sempre in B. sembra che qualcosa stia accadendo, sia pronto per accadere, ci copriamo metaforicamente gli occhi con le dita per non essere costretti a vedere quello che ci immaginiamo, quello che tutti gli indizi ci induco a ritenere che... Un romanzo che lentamente rotola a valle, e si ferma, in attesa. Implosivo. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
This is a book so strange, yet conventional, yet transcendent. Bolano has a strange motif of Germany and Germans running through all of his works. This book is the apex of this motif, a brilliant sort of death and rebirth in Del Mar. I am baffled by those who call this a throwaway, published only of the strength of Bolano's other masterpieces. This work stands alone and is arguably Bolano's most hopeful and optimistic vision. ( )
  byebyelibrary | Oct 11, 2013 |
"The Third Reich" is a fun and engaging read, perfectly suited for your own beach vacation, but the ending does little justice to all that precedes it.

Indeed, I kept responding to it like a person living in two times. Mainly I was reading the novel now, and finding it thoroughly, weirdly absorbing. Partly I was reading as if I were an unfortunate editor in around 1990, wondering how I was going to tell Bolaño that this wasn’t quite a finished book yet, that his plot led nowhere, that his characters kept trailing off into incoherence.

“The Third Reich” is a mesmerizing tale: sleek, linear, easily digested, beautifully translated. But it cannot pretend to rival Bolano’s mature work. Nor will any serious Bolano fan prefer its trim, conventional story line to his sprawling masterpieces. Yet the book shows Bolano as we’ve hardly seen him before: young, sniffing for new ground, applying old-fashioned suspense to a very modern chaos.

In The Third Reich, Bolaño kicks down the wall dividing realism and melodrama, mixing together elements of both and unifying it all with his warm-hearted and sophisticated irony.

Roberto Bolañoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wimmer, NatashaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soms spelen we met marskramers, andere keren met vakantiegangers, en twee maanden geleden lukte het ons zelfs een Duitse generaal tot twintig jaar gevangenisstraf te veroordelen. Hij kwam hierlangs toen hij een reisje met zijn vrouw maakte, en alleen door mijn slimheid is hij aan de galg ontsnapt. - 'Die Panne', Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Sometimes we played with travelling salesman, other times with vacationers, and two months ago we were even able to condemn a German general to twenty years of imprisonment. He happened by with his wife, and only my wiles saved him from the gallows.

-Friedrich Dürrenmatt, 'Traps'
Voor Carolina López
For Carolina López
Door het raam hoor je het geruis van de zee, vermengd met het gelach van de laatste nachtbrakers, een geluid dat misschien betekent dat de obers de terrastafeltjes afruimen, af en toe een auto die langzaam over de Paseo Maritimo rijdt, en een gedept, ondefinieerbaar gezoem uit de andere hotelkamers.

Shortly after becoming the German war-games champion, Udo Berger and his girlfriend, Ingeborg, holiday on the Costa Brava. There they meet another vacationing German couple, Charly and Hanna, and a band of shady locals who introduce them to the darker side of life in the town. Then, late one night, Charly disappears without a trace, and Udo’s well-ordered life is thrown into upheaval . . . Frightened, Udo refuses to leave, even after Ingeborg returns home, and his increasingly feverish dreams push him into delirium. As everything slips beyond his grasp, he attempts to re-assert himself by engaging the enigmatic and severely disfigured El Quemado – a foreigner who lives in a Spartan burrow on the beach – in a days-long match of his favourite war game, Third Reich. But, too late to stop the madness, he realizes that the consequences of this game are much more serious than he ever imagined. Combining the exhilaration of The Savage Detectives with the darkness of his later work, The Third Reich – Bolaño’s first new novel since the epic 2666 – is a visceral book exploring memory, madness and violence. It is both the perfect way to discover the dazzling genius of Roberto Bolaño and an unmissable addition to the oeuvre for those who already have. [Amazon.co.uk]

"On vacation with his girlfriend, Ingeborg, the German war-game champion Udo Berger returns to a small town on the Costa Brava where he spent the summers of his childhood. Soon they meet another vacationing German couple, Charly and Hanna, who introduce them to a band of locals--the Wolf, the Lamb, and El Quemado--and to the darker side of life in a resort town. Late one night, Charly disappears without a trace, and Udo's well-ordered life is thrown into upheaval; when Ingeborg and Hanna return to their lives in Germany, he refuses to leave the hotel. Soon, he and El Quemado are enmeshed in a round of Third Reich, his favorite World War II strategy game, and Udo discovers that the game's consequences may be all too real. Written in 1989 and found among Roberto Bolao's papers after his death, The Third Reich is a stunning exploration of memory and violence. Reading this quick, visceral novel, we see a world-class writer coming into his own--and exploring for the first time the themes that would define his masterpieces The Savage Detectives and 2666"--"A comedic novel from the author of The Savage Detectives and 2666"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,675,173 books! | Top bar: Always visible