The Last Stand : Custer, Sitting Bull, and…

The Last Stand : Custer, Sitting Bull, and the Battle of the Little…

by Nathaniel Philbrick

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown (foof2you)
    foof2you: This book is a good place to start if you are interested in the America Indian and their plight in America.

I really enjoy Philbrick's ability to bring history to life. This is the first book that I read of his that isn't about the sea, so I was curious to see how it would be different from the other stories I had read. I wasn't disappointed. I would recommend this to anyone interested in the history of the old west. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
My biggest takeaway from this book is how poorly trained the average 7th Cav trooper was. Poor horsemanship training and poor weapons training. What a bunch of messed up officers too. Lays bare the myth of superhero George Custer ( )
  delta351 | Jun 19, 2017 |
He is a brillant writer and this is a great read ( )
  Gary_Power | Jul 10, 2016 |
I read this one with relish! It pretty honestly describes the Battle of the Little Bighorn from both sides. Interpreting from oral legend and the written word, the author draws some conclusions about the thoughts and strategies employed by both the Indians and the 7th US Cavalry. This book integrates with a recent visit to Fort Lincoln at Bismark ND...the location from which the 7th Cavalry departed before this battle. It confirmed my opinions about the persons on both sides of the conflict and as always with historical events, there is more to be read and enjoyed. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 8, 2016 |
Good book, as described by the other viewers. It goes well with T. J. Stiles's more recent book, Custer's Trials, which focuses almost entirely on Custer's life before Little Big Horn. ( )
  Michael_Lilly | Jan 11, 2016 |
Why does Custer persist? Nearly 134 years after his last stand, a military debacle that cost the lives of all 210 men under his immediate command, George Armstrong Custer remains such an iconic figure in the American pageant that mere mention of his name evokes an entirely overromanticized era in the American West. By all rights he should be a footnote. That he enjoys the glory of single-name recognition is a testament to the power of personality, show business and savvy public relations. Custer wasn’t just an Indian fighter. He was one of the first self-made American celebrities.
added by ozzer | editNew York Times, BRUCE BARCOTT (Jun 10, 2010)

A great strength of this book is its use of eye-witness accounts of that chaotic day – particularly those of the Indians who saw the battle as a great victory – although the sequence does jump back and forth somewhat confusingly at times.

Experts may find more to quarrel with here than I did. But even if Philbrick has everything right, that doesn't make The Last Stand the "definitive" book on the Little Bighorn, any more than Connell's was. There clearly ain't no such animal, and never will be. What may be most to this one's credit is a humanity that can make even inveterate Custer-haters pity the men who got stuck following him, as did at least one Sioux warrior at the time. "I felt really sorry for them, they looked so frightened," Standing Bear later told his son. "Many of them lay on the ground, with their blue eyes open, waiting to be killed."

Maybe nothing ever happens once and is finished.
Maybe happen is never once but like ripples maybe on
water after the pebble sinks, the ripples moving on,
spreading, the pool attached by a narrow umbilical
water-cord, to the next pool which the first pool feeds,
has fed, did feed, let this second pool contain a different
temperature of water, a different molecularity of having
seen, felt, remembered, reflect in a different tone the
infinite unchanging sky, it doesn't matter: that pebble's
watery echo whose fall it did not even see moves across
its surface too at the original ripple-space, to the old
ineradicable rhythm.

-WILLIAM FAULKNER, Absalom, Absalom!
To Melissa
High up in his floating tower, Captain Grant Marsh guided the riverboat Far West toward Fort Lincoln, the home of Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer and the U.S. Army's Seventh Cavalry.

The bestselling author of "Mayflower" sheds new light on one of the iconic stories of the American West, reminding readers that the Battle of the Little Bighorn was also, even in victory, the last stand for the Sioux and Cheyenne Indian nations.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,629,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible