The Mermaid's Mirror by L. K. Madigan

The Mermaid's Mirror (2010)

by L. K. Madigan

1992559,063 (3.53)7

The first half of the book was really hard to get through. It had a lot of predictable moments and the fight between Lena and her dad was kind of weird. There were several occasions in the book where they mentioned the amazing love between Lena's parents but I was hoping for a flashback or something. I wanted to see their love story and how he ended up with her supposed best friend at the time. When Lena finally meets her mom face to face then the book gets interesting. But you have the awkward old fashioned English that her mom speaks. Just because she doesn't remember a lot of English doesn't mean it changed that much in the past six years or however long it's been since she left. I really enjoyed the mermaid world and it was a different take on their lifestyle. But it was over so quickly. The love story between Lena and nix was cute but sometimes I forgot she had a bf that she was cheating on and I forgot that she was sixteen because it seemed too mature for sixteen year olds (not even sure what age nix is supposed to be). And I'm still confused about the mermaids hating the humans and their romances. It's never explained other than the betrayal of leaving your own kind. When Lena returns home the book kind of just ends. Nothing was accomplished - she's still an outsider and still separated from her mom. The only difference is that she knows how her mom feels except now her mom has to suffer by watching her daughter thru a mirror. Plus she just left nix. So much for their love story even if she was young. He could've come to find her. And the biggest annoyance is that she gave up the whole mermaid world just so her dad could go surfing? I just felt cheated by the ending. And it was like a circle just going right back to where it started. The only difference was that she broke two boys hearts and her dad can surf. I guess? ( )
  xwhiterose08x | Mar 16, 2014 |
2.5 review to come ( )
  anyaejo | Aug 4, 2013 |
"The Mermaid's Mirror" is the first mermaid book i have read in years.
The story revolves around Lena, a teenage girl that has a love for the sea. She yearns to learn how to surf but due to a near death experience her dad had years ago in the sea, she is forbidden form learning how to surf. It take a rebelious act to dramatically change Lena's life forever.
The story of Lena can be a bit predictable at times. I also feel that the author seems to rush through certain scenes at the beginning of the book, almost as if impatient to get to the "good stuff." Aside from that the story is quite facinating in the way it depicts the world of the mer-people. All in all a good book to read.
  LadyBookHermit | Apr 12, 2013 |
I'm not really sure what I can say about this book, because most of the things I want to comment on are spoiler-iffic. So I'll just say that this was another mermaid book that I loved, and the underwater scenes were magnificent. I didn't particularly care for the character of Lena, but I appreciated her love of the ocean and her determination to follow her passion for surfing. I thought this book was paced very oddly. Yet, even though the beginning felt slow and the ending was rushed, I never once wanted to put it down. ( )
  pocketmermaid | Feb 18, 2012 |
Intersting idea. Somewhat bland. ( )
  ABookVacation | Nov 12, 2011 |
For Michelle...
forever a California girl,
no mater where
she lives
Lena woke up on the beach.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0547194919, Hardcover)

Lena has lived her whole life near the beach – walking for miles up and down the shore and breathing the salty air, swimming in the cold water, and watching the surfers rule the waves – the problem is, she’s spent her whole life just watching.

As her sixteenth birthday approaches, Lena vows she will no longer watch from the sand: she will learn to surf.

But her father – a former surfer himself – refuses to allow her to take lessons. After a near drowning in his past, he can’t bear to let Lena take up the risky sport.

Yet something lures Lena to the water … an ancient, powerful magic. One morning Lena catches sight of this magic: a beautiful woman – with a silvery tail.

Nothing will keep Lena from seeking the mermaid, not even the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove.

And soon … what she sees in the mermaid’s mirror will change her life …

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:44 -0400)

Lena, almost sixteen, has always felt drawn to the waters of San Francisco Bay despite the fears of her father, a former surfer, but after she glimpses a beautiful woman with a tail, nothing can keep Lena from seeking the mermaid in the dangerous waves at Magic Crescent Cove.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,620,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible