Chasing the Dragon by Nicholas Kaufmann

Chasing the Dragon

by Nicholas Kaufmann

I read a couple of friends' reviews of this, and downloaded a sample chapter, and it just sort of got under my skin -- the whole idea of it. It does something pretty original with the mythology it uses, with dragons and with zombies -- something I've certainly never seen before, anyway. It's a novella, but it got me as involved as if it were a full-length novel: I held my breath for much of the last two chapters.

It's full of guts 'n' gore, so descriptions of that kind of thing gross you out, then you probably won't enjoy this, and there's also descriptions of drug-taking, which might make you uncomfortable. Normally, both the gore and the drugs would make me uncomfortable, but the story made it make sense.

The main antagonist and protagonist are both strong female characters, too, which might be a draw for some! ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
The legend goes that Saint George fought and killed the dragon, but the legend is wrong. Saint George failed and the dragon still walks the earth, feeding and killing and raising the dead for her own personal army. The charge of battling the dragon has passed down through the family line all the way to Georgia, who is torn up by her own internal demons, dealing with her addiction to heroine. While she hunts the dragon, the dragon also hunts her.

This is a good old fashioned horror story, the kind that pulls no punches and incorporates perfect amounts of blood and guts, while presenting a character who is believable. I love Georgia, because while she has been broken down by her life and her addiction, she perseveres and finds the strength to keep fighting. ( )
  andreablythe | Oct 25, 2010 |

Centuries ago, St. George fought and killed a dragon-or so the legend goes. The truth is somewhat different. George failed in his mission, and the Dragon still walks the Earth, protected by an undead army, hiding in the shadows and slaughtering men, women, and children for its prey. Each of George's descendants through time has been tasked with killing the Dragon, and each has failed. Twenty-five-year-old Georgia Quincey is the last of the line-the last, best hope for defeating the Dragon once and for all. But Georgia is also an addict, driven to the warm embrace of the needle by the weight of her responsibility and the loss of everything and everyone she has ever loved. Tracking her nemesis to the small town of Buckshot, New Mexico for their final showdown, Georgia is about to discover the truth about the Dragon, a terrible secret that could put all life on Earth in peril.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,338 books! | Top bar: Always visible