Plastic by Christopher Fowler

Plastic (2013)

by Christopher Fowler

A fun and at times, intriguing look at a housewives dsisolving marriage and her obsessions with shopping in order to cope with an unfulfilling life. Her eventual epiphany is accompanied by an ever increasing spiral of violence and crime, and one ends up being as bewildered as she is. Plot twists, and a strange partial dissociation between the front half and the latter half of the book,mean make it a little disorientating. If it had a weakness, it would be that the latter third and especially the last quarter, was simply too cinematic and not believable at all. The pacing was good and this was intriguing entertainment but not amongst, in my view, Fowler's best. ( )
  aadyer | Sep 7, 2017 |
This novel had a fast moving and exciting plot, and the author has a good writing style. I should have liked it more than I did. I think that was mainly due to my failure to connect with the protagonist and narrator, June (say that name and immediately she's a pensioner. But apparently she's 29). I never knew who she was - it's hard enough for a male author to narrate as a woman and hats off to him for stepping up, but June came across less as a woman than as a man with low sef-esteem. And then there were the sudden changes of personality: one minute she is hesitant, liver of a sheltered life, not at all streetwise. Next minute she is resourceful, brave, knower of facts, user of long words, sprinting along roads at high speed in high heels (not apparently noticing that the heels got broken a couple of paragraphs earlier). In short, she is anything the plot requires at any given time. And it irked me that her husband was called Gordon - authorly shorthand to indicate the guy is a nerd, a loser, a generally laughable idiot. It always annoys me when writers use this cheapest of devices (I'll give you one guess what my husband's name is).

What I liked very much was the humour, which bubbled along nicely and included some genuine laugh out loud moments. The one about throwing out a perfectly good housewife, and better still the one about Greggs' bakery and the iced genitals are worth looking out for. I'm not sure I'll be seeking out any of the author's other work though. ( )
  jayne_charles | Sep 10, 2015 |
There's blood everywhere, and none of it's where it's supposed to be.
'Our houses are not in the street anymore.  The street is in our houses.'  Charles Gounod

"A contemporary London-set crime novel.... Apartment-sitting in a luxury penthouse goes horribly wrong for June Cryer when a young girl breaks into the apartment only to be horribly murdered and June must find the killer, before he finds her. June Cryer is a shopaholic suburban housewife trapped in a lousy marriage. After discovering her husband's infidelity with her flight attendant neighbor, Hilary 'Boarding From The Rear' Cooper, she loses her home, her husband and her credit rating. Then her best pal Lou offers a solution; a mutual friend needs someone reliable to act as caretaker in a spectacular London high-rise apartment. It's just for the weekend, but there's good money in it... Seizing the opportunity to escape, June moves into the penthouse only to find that there's no electricity and the phones don't work. She must flat-sit until the security system comes back on. When a terrified girl breaks into the flat and June makes the mistake of asking the neighbors for help, she finds herself embroiled in an escalating nightmare, trying to prove that a murderer exists. Over the next 24 hours she must survive on the streets without friends or money, solve an impossible crime, and fight off the urge to buy a new wardrobe."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,454,680 books! | Top bar: Always visible