Truthseeker by C.E. Murphy

Title:Truthseeker
Authors:C.E. Murphy
Info:Del Rey (2010), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fantasy, faeries, truthtellers, magic, adult

Truthseeker by C.E. Murphy (Author)

Recently added bykpevjen, CorinasQuill

just couldn't get interested.
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Good Story, flowed really well. Can't wait for part 2 ( )
  JanetArmentani | Jul 25, 2013 |
A great premise: that a person can have a physical reaponse to lies--it would be interesting if other unethical actions had immediate consequences. I enjoyed Lara's obsessiveness with precise speech (at the beginning) but she lost it later in the book. That was too much of a change for a truthseeker. I also liked the bantering between Lara & Kelly. Lara jumping David when they crossed was too dissonant for me, and CE Murphy must have known that because she has Lara ponder this later & come up with an (inadequate) explanation. Another unbelievable bit comes at the end when Kelly is chasing a villain but pauses at the threshold to exchange goodbyes & regrets at missing her friend Kelly's wedding.
Great action. ( )
  juniperSun | Jul 23, 2013 |
It's hard to review TRUTH SEEKER. C. E. Murphy is one of my favorite urban fantasy authors, and I adore her Walker Papers books. Therefore, in reading any of her other series, I can't help but compare them to the Walker Papers... and they inevitably fall short. This start to a new series feels flawed in a few ways, but at heart it's still a solid read.

Lara Jansen has always had an uncanny knack for sensing if someone tells the truth. Lies ring like discordant notes in her ears. Then she encounters enigmatic TV weatherman Dafydd ap Caerwyn. After knowing each other for a mere day, Dafydd confesses he's a prince of Faerie--and to Lara's horror, his words ring true. He begs for her help in settling the murder of his brother. Lara agrees and steps through to the Barrow Lands... where all hell breaks loose.

The premise is fun. What bothered me the most were the pacing and the way some crucial points of the plot seemed way too easy. Lara's character development feels way too fast in the beginning. She starts out shy and awkward, pushed by her best friend to do anything, and when she steps into the Barrow Lands, her character evolution is almost instantaneous. Other characters observed this, too, which didn't explain it away for me. Some of the later plot points with her power seemed too simple; things simply happened. The ending is also a huge cliffhanger that barely introduces the villain. If you want to read a stand-alone book, this one isn't for you. (Fortunately, I have an ARC of the sequel to read.) However, there are a lot of positives. Lara is a fun character, and her chemistry with Dafydd feels strong from the star. There are some horrifying plot twists that I didn't see coming.

In the end, it's not the strongest of Murphy's work (go read the Walker Papers!) but it's still fun. I do hope the book will be even better when paired with the sequel. ( )
  ladycato | Aug 26, 2011 |
Always being truthful is a good concept for most people, but Lara Jansen didn’t have a choice. Hearing lies when spoken was a bonus. Figuring out what the lie is was the tricky part. Knowing that David Kirwen was lying was one thing, then she finally knew the truth of who and what he was. Finding a truthseeker was what Dafydd ap Caerwyn (David) had wanted to do and now that he had one, convincing her to travel to his kingdom wasn’t going to be easy. As the Prince of Faerie, Dafydd needed to know who had killed his brother, to find the truly guilty person and to clear his own name.

Book 1 …. What a concept ~ to hear a lie (kind of wish I could sometimes). I have read other faerie stories and have to say the time loops in this one confused me a little bit. Really enjoyed the character interaction between Lara, her friends and the faeries. As a lead character David/Dafydd was a bit of a slacker, he seemed to just sit back and wait for things to happen instead of really trying, would have liked him more if he had been stronger with his conviction to clear his name and find the real threat. I am excited about the next book, Way finder ~ should be out soon (tentatively September 2011) ( )
  onyx95 | Aug 14, 2011 |

Murphy, C.E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mollica, GeneCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Jai who gave me the idea
"...once upon a time, not so long ago, driven by a little old lady I know personally."

ACROSS TWO EXTRAORDINARY WORLDS, TRUTH IS THE DEADLIEST MAGIC

Gifted with an uncanny intuition, Lara Jansen nonetheless thinks there is nothing particularly special about her. All that changes when a handsome but mysterious man enters her quiet Boston tailor shop and reveals himself to be a prince of Faerie. What's more, Dafydd ap Caerwyn claims that Lara is a truthseeker, a person with the rare talent of being able to tell truth from falsehood. Dafydd begs Lara to help solve his brother's murder, of which Dafydd himself is the only suspect.

Acting against her practical nature, Lara agrees to step through a window into another world. Caught between bitterly opposed Seelie forces and Dafydd's secrets, which are as perilous as he is irresistible, Lara finds that her abilities are increasing in unexpected and uncontrollable ways. With the fate of two worlds at stake and a malevolent entity wielding the darkest of magic, Lara and Dafydd will risk everything on a love that may be their salvation - or the most treacherous illusion of all.

When handsome and mysterious Dafydd ap Caerwyn enters Lara Jensen's quiet Boston tailor shop claiming Lara is a Truthseeker and revealing himself to be a prince of Faerie, he begs Lara to help solve his brother's murder, of which Dafydd himself is the only suspect. With the fate of two worlds at stake and a malevolent entity wielding the darkest of magic, Lara and Dafydd will risk everything to find out the truth.… (more)

C. E. Murphy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,465,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible