From Afar by Ava March

From Afar

by Ava March

Some rules are destined to be broken.

Loneliness. A concept with which Raphael Laurent is very familiar. He’s lived a solitary life for thirty-six years, shunning the excesses of the local vampire clan—until he spots Lord Aleric Vane, the handsome and dissolute third son of a duke. For three years Raphael has watched from a distance, for only when he is near Aleric does the hollow, empty ache in his chest ease.

Cut off from his family for refusing to follow his father’s dictates, Aleric’s nights are filled with vice. But after three years in London, the city has lost all appeal. Desolate and penniless, his future appears bleak. Until a mysterious man drops from the shadows to drive off a trio of murderous thieves.

When Aleric awakens, he finds himself forever changed. The itch for more that drove him to London is gone. In its place is the feeling that he’s known the beautiful Raphael all his life.

But to save Aleric, Raphael had to break the rules, giving him a chance to love the one man he never thought he could have—a chance that could be ripped away by Aleric himself…
I really have enjoyed all of this author's previous title's, so I was looking forward to this story.
She cleverly combined the REGENCY era with the Vampire lore.
And created two very capitvating characters in Raphael and Aleric, the sex scenes between these two just burn up the pages!
And she makes you feel the lonliness that Raphael has had to endure watching his beloved from afar for so many years.
I was flipping pages, so lost in this story that the abrupt ending caught me off guard.
I was sorely disappointed that the author chose to end this story so suddenly.
I felt short changed, I wanted more. I would have have rated this 4 Stars but for this point. Let's not even call this a novel, but a Novella, for it's length.
Ms March, please bring back Raphael and Aleric in another novel that allows the reader to really get involved and not just for merely two nights.
Please Ms. March can I have some more. ( )
  silversurfer | Jun 29, 2012 |
Regency Vampires is a very thriving genre, and usually the stories are quite gothic and dark, and not only since, obviously, they are set at night. Reading the blurb of From Afar I was expecting nothing different, the story of the vampire Raphael and his unrequited love for nobleman Aleric; Raphael is forced to turn Aleric when the man is mortally wounded by some thieves and now he fears the man will hate him.

But since the beginning, the story reveals to be quite different from expected. First, it begins with a very sexy scene, Raphael perched on a tree spying Aleric with a female prostitute… well, yes, it’s a sexy scene, especially when Raphael starts to masturbate, but indeed I was also worried for Raphael’s safety, wondering if he was risking to fall down the tree. I don’t know but this scene revealed a lot of Raphael, of how, despite being a 36 years old vampire, he is really still the young 21 years old boy he was when turned. Raphael is not a strong and mourning vampire; he is instead a young man who is searching for love. 3 years before he fell in love for Aleric, but like a very “ordinary” unrequited love, he has never had the courage to reach for it; truth be told, I felt like what restrains Raphael is more the moral sin, they are both men, than the vampire thing: even if Raphael was human, I think that he the same would not acknowledge his existence to Aleric.

When he is forced to turn Aleric to save his life, at first Raphael feels guilty; he did nothing to mortally wound Aleric, but indeed it was a good chance for him. But then to Aleric takes very few time to accommodate to his new status, maybe helped in that from the fact that he was totally destitute, without any real chance, and if not for Raphael’s independent wealth, he would have no idea how to pay his debts. It’s not clearly stated, but this is a winning turn of the evens for Aleric from all perspectives: Aleric has always had forbidden desires for men, but he has never had the courage to really indulge in them… now he has an handsome young man all for himself; Aleric has no money and no way to gain them, and instead Raphael has plenty; Raphael feels guilty for turning Aleric and so he is willing to grant any whim of the man.

There are odd but very nice contrapositions in the story: Aleric is the nobleman, but it’s Raphael who has the money; Aleric is the less experience in man love of the two, but he is the one who is more sexually driven to explore; Raphael, turned at 21 years old and with 36 years of experience as vampire, is the oldest between them, but it’s Gabriel who seems to be the “leader” in the relationship (even if, as I said just before, it’s Raphael who has the money). All of them (and maybe some other I forgot), make the characters multilayered and original, and so, even if this is only a novella that spans for only 2 nights in the life of the men, it has a wider breath.

elisa.rolle | Mar 12, 2010 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,874 books! | Top bar: Always visible