Pegasus by Robin McKinley

Pegasus

by Robin McKinley

Series: Pegasus [McKinley] (1)

949939,154 (3.72)1 / 93

Ending a book when the story is only halfway over is honestly just rude. ( )
  bibliovermis | Sep 7, 2016 |
Pegasus features excellent worldbuilding and an interesting reconstruction of a popular mythical creature. It feels like the first book in a series (which it is, so that's fine) because it focuses mostly on establishing a world and the people within it, but the ending makes me certain that the rest of the series will feature plenty of action and political intrigue.

Definitely worth reading just for the excellent culture creation of the pegasi and the fascinating way they interact with humans. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
As always Robin McKinley writes beautifully, and this is an absolutely gorgeous story that breaks your heart again and again. However, I'm giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because she often switches between the present, and some time in the not-too-distant past that the main character is thinking of, without warning us that any sort of thinking is going on. I found it terribly confusing for most of the first part of the book; there is a major part where it is not present, and then picks up again. I don't know if McKinley did it on purpose or not, but it was budensome. Still, I recommend this to anyone and everyone. I cannot wait for the sequel in 2012. ( )
  Kristin_Curdie_Cook | Apr 29, 2016 |
Sylvi is the youngest daughter of the king. On her twelfth birthday she is ritually "bound" to a pegasus, as all royalty are. But for her, the binding is not just a rote gesture--she can actually hear the pegasus in her head! Everyone is shocked that she and Ebon can communicate, and the very idea shakes the magicians' guild to the core. Sylvi tries to find a way to bring humans and pegasi together, even as rocs threaten the kingdom and the head magician threatens her bond with Ebon.

SO DISAPPOINTING. The writing is tangled and muddled. Suddenly we'll be three years in the future, but then it seems McKinley forgot to add some details, so we get a memory from a year ago, and then back to three years into the future, but then oh wait we forgot to add this other inconsequential anecdote so back two years, and so on and so forth. It reads like short story or a bare outline that got clumsily expanded. This might have made it difficult to keep the timeline straight except that absolutely nothing changes or develops over time. Sylvi spends the entire book thinking she should tell her parents she can communicate with pegasi. 400 pages without any resolution to that storyline. Sylvi and Ebon start flying together, and that storyline goes absolutely no where. Same for whether the magicians are mistranslating, or questions about the Alliance formation, or the magic grass the pegasi live on, or what Fthoom is up to. No development of any of this--just plot hooks introduced and left hanging. And speaking of Fthoom, this reminds me of why I literally dropped the book in disgust when I finished it. So for 400 pages no actual plot takes place. There's no sense of danger, no sense that anything is changing or developing. And then about ten pages from the end of the book, abruptly a roc attacks the kingdom and Sylvi's older brother goes to fight it. While he's gone, Fthoom declares that he's found an ancient document. It's the deathbed confession of a roc (the ancient enemy of pegasus and human alike) in which the roc declares that pegasi and humans can never be close, because they will never understand each other, and trying to understand each other will destroy them. Everyone at court freaks out and immediately the pegasi are forced to leave. But--why would anyone trust a roc's word? Even if the ancient document is real, and a roc really did say that an alliance between pegasi and humans would destroy both cultures--why believe them? It's in the rocs' best interest to drive their enemies apart, after all! OBVIOUSLY this is not true.

So. Basically. No development of anything (I still have no idea how this kingdom functions, what its economy is like, if it trades, if it has serfs or what), no plot until the last ten pages, and a nonsensical plot at that. There is no way I'm reading the rest of this series, because just reading this book actually made me angry at how badly it was written. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"My Little Pony" for smart girls.

But still.

I've read everything Robin McKinley has published, I'm pretty sure, and 'The Blue Sword' is in my top-10 favorite books of all time.
I was really excited to read this book - and it wasn't horrible, but it was rather disappointing and mildly annoying. I might have liked it much more if I were eleven.

In a far-off kingdom, for centuries, an alliance has held between the humans and the pegasi, who cooperate to fight off an assortment of evil and dangerous creatures who threaten the realm. However, although royal children of both species are magically 'bonded' to each other, there's an ongoing inability to effectively communicate.

UNTIL now... the young princess and her pegasus counterpart can speak to each other perfectly, telepathically! But rather than rejoicing, both sides - especially the human magicians - find this to be a dire threat. The head magician is really mad.

But he doesn't do much about it. The princess is invited to visit the secret lands of the pegasi. She does. It's all cool and magical and stuff.

The end.

Yeah, not much happens. I know that sequels are on the way, but really, unless you are *completely* *enthralled* by the idea of having a best friend that is a beautiful, intelligent flying horse, there's not much to this book.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Robin McKinleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sinopoli, ElisabettaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Because she was a princess she had a pegasus.

Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pegasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own Pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.

But its different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close-so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo-and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.
Girl meets Pegasus

Special bond brings them closer

Trouble soon follows.

Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pegasi, Princess Sylvi is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own pegasus, on her twelfth birthday, but the closeness of their bond becomes a threat to the status quo and possibly to the safety of their two nations.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin McKinley's book Pegasus was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,303,281 books! | Top bar: Always visible