Gluten-Free, Hassle Free: A Simple, Sane,…

Gluten-Free, Hassle Free: A Simple, Sane, Dietitian-Approved Program for…

by Marlisa Brown

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After requesting this book from Early Reviewers, but before receiving it, my allergist suggested to me that since I tested positive on skin tests to so many grains, I might consider a gluten-free lifestyle.

Thus, when Gluten Free, Hassle Free arrived the next week, I was eager to read it. From the quick-start menu section (how to eat gluten-free with the stuff that's probably already in your pantry) to the foreign language restaurant cards in the reference section at the end, this book is packed full of information the newbie to gluten-freedom needs. Excellent book, I highly recommend it! ( )
  cjoymr | Aug 24, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've been gluten free for nearly two years, and I've read every book I can find about gluten free living. In my opinion, this is one of the best and most up to date.

The beginning of the book is for those newly diagnosed. "What is gluten?" "What CAN I eat?" She provides sample meal plans and grocery shopping suggestions, listing what foods are safe, not safe, or questionable.

As the book progresses, more challenging gluten free ideas are presented for the more experienced with the lifestyle. Such as making your own flour mix, gluten free gourmet meals for company, etc. There are over 100 recipes in this book.

The author also addresses the feelings many people like myself have dealt with when newly diagnosed, such as "I don't want to go out and draw attention to myself in a restaurant. It's easier to just stay home." Or "How do I explain to my friends when they try to say 'It's only a LITTLE bit of gluten - you can eat that!'"

One thing I thought was unique about this book was the dining out cards. Many other books have these, but this book has them in 14 different languages, for ethnic cuisine or foreign travel. Cool!

I would recommend this book to anyone living a gluten free lifestyle, and to those with a gluten free relative or close friend who want to help and understand. ( )
1 vote BookAngel_a | Jul 18, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gluten-Free, Hassle Free is a welcome addition to my cookbook collection. Although there is no one in my family with gluten issues, the tips and advice provided is well received. I'll be referring to it often. ( )
  picnicgal | Jul 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is full of knowledge about living Gluten-Free, even little things that you wouldn't think of such as latex gloves being dusted with oat flour {gluten} and more tidbits such as that. I've had several requests from friends and family already to borrow the book.

Great cookbook as well, I haven't tried any of the recipes yet but they all sound wonderful. I liked that it wasn't all 100% from scratch recipes, as sometimes we just need a quick meal to toss together from items on hand.

I do think the book would have benefited by being split into a two volume set, one dealing with living gluten-free, and the other with cooking gluten-free. That would help with the jumping around that the author does in her writing style, one chapter is cooking, followed by information, then another cooking section. ( )
  dakotamidnight | Jun 25, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As a person who was diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost four years ago, I found this book to be a bit too basic to enhance my knowledge base significantly about the disorder, but I certainly would have found this helpful just after being diagnosed, as it was full of information about how to tackle life newly sans-gluten. Brown writes perhaps too much toward the lowest common denominator, including recipes that are rather uninspired and assume a lack of interest in cooking from scratch or avoiding processed foods, but as the book is clearly about creating a "hassle-free" gluten-free life, this is perhaps to be expected. ( )
  sashzj | Jun 8, 2010 |

Celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity is an inability to properly digest the gluten found in wheat, rye, and barley. Left untreated they can lead to many symptoms and conditions. For example celiac disease can cause or contribute to a wide range of health problems, including type 1 diabetes, arthritis, infertility, osteoporosis, lupus, cancer, liver failure, thyroid problems, autoimmune illnesses, skin disorders, chronic pain, and digestive problems. The only treatment for celiac disease and non-celiac gluten sensitivity is a gluten-free diet for life. Now with Gluten-Free, Hassle Free you can learn: An upbeat empowering approach to gluten-free living; A wealth of simple, practical solutions, strategies, and shortcuts; Information on being diagnosed with celiac disease; The health risks of untreated celiac disease; Gluten-free safe food lists; Gluten-free cooking and baking tips; Gluten-free dining out information; Best resources for gluten-free living; Over 100 recipes with nutritional information; Gluten-free travel trips; Strategies to handle your feelings; Mix and match meal plans; A full month of day-to-day gluten-free meals; Cooking tips for creating your own gluten-free recipes; Tip boxes; Gluten-free dining out restaurant cards in 14 different languages; AND MUCH MORE.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Marlisa Brown's book Gluten-Free, Hassle Free was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Demos Health

An edition of this book was published by Demos Health.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,386,683 books! | Top bar: Always visible