Our Grandparents: A Global Album (A Global…

Our Grandparents: A Global Album (A Global Fund for Children Book)

by Maya Ajmera

I liked this book for several reasons. The main message of this book was to inform young readers about grandparents and families around the world and the similarities and differences among cultures. I enjoyed that the book showed grandparents from all over the world, including Romania, Russia, China and the USA. This showed readers the differences between the cultures. Each picture was labeled with the country the family was from which helped the reader learn about the culture and their family practices. I enjoyed that the text was simple, featuring sentences like “Grandparents take care of us, and we take care of them too”. The surrounding pictures show how grandparents take care of children around the world. I enjoyed this because the text did not overpower the images and the text was made accessible for young readers. Children still learn about families across the world but through pictures rather than heavy text. I liked that at the end of the book there was a section called “5 things to do with your grandparents”. The list includes celebrating the past, recording memories, playing together, planning an adventure and learning about your family. I think this is a nice touch to the book and allows readers to reflect on their own grandparents and culture. It is a nice tie between the book and the reader’s background and family. ( )
  ygurova | Feb 27, 2016 |
K-1 family/diversity
  ccsdss | Feb 24, 2016 |
I thought this was a lovely book that celebrated both family and diversity. I enjoyed that the author began the book by showing multiple photographs of grandparents and grandchildren from different countries, and showing the reader how to say and pronounce "grandma" and "grandpa" in other languages (ex. Spanish, Hawaiian, Portuguese, etc.) I also enjoyed that the author chose to use photographs instead of illustrations. I think that this gives children a better real-world understanding of diversity, whereas using illustrations could leave the reader to his or her imagination. The author also provided a label of where the picture was taken to give readers a better sense of the different cultures. The main message of this non-fiction book was that no matter where we live, our grandparents care for us and we care for them. The relationship between a grandchild and grandparent is special no matter where in the world we come from. ( )
  alexavecchio | Nov 2, 2015 |
I believe that this is a great book informing young readers about the similarities within family members all over the world. The photographs provided are captivating and all readers to see clearly how families may look different but still can be similar. Each photo is labeled with the country the picture is taken in, along with a caption of the things grandparents do with their grandchildren all over the world.

The beginning of the text displays a list of how to say “Grandparents” in a variety of languages. This broadens the perspective of young readers and allows them to understand a culture/language outside of their own. Additionally, the book finishes with a map of the world, labeled with the countries that were discussed. This is an example of yet another visual tool to broaden perspective.

The message of this book is for children to compare/understand diversity through something familiar to them. I feel that using grandparents as that focus of comparison, works well for young children as a way to view different cultures differently. ( )
  sarahwarner329 | Sep 14, 2014 |
I did not really like this book at all. It was a non-fiction chapter book all about what grandparents mean in different cultures. The author included a lot of different cultures but did not really elaborate on them. There was not a lot of background information on the cultures discussed so the reader is not able to easily relate or identify with the families. However, I did like how there were actual photographs of the different grandparents and families all through out the chapter book. Even though there was not a lot of information given, the pictures helped grab the readers attention. ( )
  emills4 | Oct 8, 2013 |

Vibrant photographs and simple text capture the joy and affection shown by grandparents and grandchildren around the world.

Charlesbridge

2 editions of this book were published by Charlesbridge.

Editions: 1570914583, 1570914591

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,429 books! | Top bar: Always visible