Off Like the Wind!: The First Ride of the…

Off Like the Wind!: The First Ride of the Pony Express

by Michael P. Spradlin

195537,190 (4)None

Good for text set or stand alone informative with illustrations.
  Climbing-books | Dec 18, 2014 |
This historical fiction book is an accurate representation of what life was like when the first mail system was established in America. It is not the typical cowboy and indians story about the midwest that is usually presented.I think students will enjoy this book's bright pictures and exciting adventure.
  adates12 | Dec 17, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I think this would be such a great book to add to a social studies unit on the west or the mail. Students could really relate to the riders since we are able to know their names and the hardships they had to go through to get the mail halfway across the continent in eleven days. I also really liked that on the front and back pages of the book there was a map of where the riders actually went. Overall I really liked this book. ( )
  LauraMcQueen | Apr 16, 2013 |
I found this book very interesting, because I do not remember learning much about the pony express in school. The pictures are bright, but I wish there was a bit more information in the book. ( )
  Kathdavis54 | Jul 18, 2011 |
Off Like the Wind is a great picture book with colorful illustrations and the story of the first Pony Express run from Missouri to California. Readers learn about all of the different terrain and dangers the pony express riders encountered as well as gain an appreciation for how important the Pony Express was to the people isolated in the West in the late 1800s. As noted in the book, much of the documentation about the Pony Express was lost when it was disbanded, therefore, gaps in history are pieced together by personal accounts rather than primary sources. I think this book is a great example for readers, ages 4 – 8, of American History that is exciting and entertaining. I especially liked the timeline and map on the inside cover that traces the route from St. Joseph, MO through the mountains and plains, to Sacramento, CA. The timeline notes pieces of historical significance from 1860 – 1861. While none of the stops were in Colorado, I think this book has potential as a local history resource as it notes several popular stops along the way from Nebraska through Wyoming to Utah that are common vacation destinations for many Coloradoans. ( )
  bclanphere | Apr 8, 2011 |

In 1860, the first Pony Express rider set out on a trail from Missouri to California. With him, he carried a special delivery?the first mail ever carried by hand to the West. Over the next eleven days, he and many other riders would endure harsh weather, dangerous animals, and more, but nothing would diminish their unflagging determination and courage.

Meticulously researched and gorgeously illustrated, Michael P. Spradlin and Layne Johnson's Off Like the Wind! brings to life an adventurous journey, full of suspense and excitement, that celebrates America's can-do attitude and pioneering spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

"In 1860, the first rider set out on a trail from Missouri to California. He carried with him a special delivery - the first mail ever delivered by hand to the West. During the eleven-day trip he and many other men faced harsh weather, dangerous animals like buffalo and wolves and more, but nothing weakened their determination and courage."--dustjacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,981,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible