Don't Cry by Beverly Barton

Don't Cry

by Beverly Barton

Series: Don't (1)

Beverly Barton was recommended to be a year ago as a 'great mystery author'. It must have been a different Beverly Barton.
At first I thought that perhaps this was a early work. I was surprised to see that it was written in 2010.
It is full of redundant comments - often in the same sentence. ( )
  JrtMommy2 | Oct 20, 2012 |
I do love a good mystery. A -good- mystery. Not a flaky, predictable, loosely written mystery with loose ends flapping all over the place. I like it when I don’t already know what’s going to happen by the end of the first five chapters.

This book delivered.

Amazon.com and several reviews I’ve read of it list this book alternately as a Mystery/Thriller and a Romance. I would definitely put it more in the Mystery/Thriller category myself, though there is a bit of chemistry going on between the two main characters.

Audrey Sherrod is a grief counselor who occasionally offers her services to the Chattanooga police department. J.D. Cass is employed by the TBI (Tennessee Bureau of Investigation) and he’s investigating a new series of kidnappings and murders.

The prose is nice – it flows evenly forward even when the author switches narration from the third person to first (the victims and the killer). I also thought the pace was spot on – just enough happens to keep you newly informed and still wanting more every time you turn the page.

One of the biggest aspects of the novel that interested me was J.D.’s relationship with his teenage daughter, Zoe. She’s depressed over the loss of her mother to cancer, bitter because her father was never even known to her before her mother was diagnosed and nearly dead, and conflicted in general because of her stage of development. I love that the author did not make J.D. instantly a nominee for the Most Perfect Father of All Time award. He doesn’t know how to relate to this child who showed up and “ruined” his bachelor living and the author does a wonderful job of portraying the development of that relationship. I love that even a relatively minor character like Zoe had enough depth to make her memorable.

As far as the actual mystery part of this book goes, I’m rather pleased. I did not have a single inkling who the killer actually was until nearly the last two or three chapters, though of course there’s enough information to make you suspicious of a few key people.

Definitely a good read. ( )
  SmplexlyRee | Sep 2, 2010 |
Once again Ms. Barton has written an excellent book about a seriel killer and has the usual twists and surpize ending. Absolutely one of the best mystery/suspense authors out there. Recommend Highly. ( )
  nmjaw | Aug 29, 2010 |
To Billy, for a million and one reasons, but most of all because he loves me
&
In memory of Pelham, Alabama, Police Officer Philip Davis, who lost his life in the line of duty, December 4, 2009
Prologue:
Thirty years ago

The Humpty-Dumpty night-light cast a soft, honey-white glow over the nursery, from the 5' X 7' Mother Goose rug on the wooden floor to the fluffy clouds painted on the ceiling.

Nowhere To Run
The crime scenes are horrifying: the victims arranged with deliberate care, posed to appear alive despite their agonized last moments and the shocking nature of their deaths.

No Place To Hide
Chattanooga grief counselor Audrey Sherrod moonlights for the local police. It's clear to her, and to Special Agent J.D. Cass, that the murders are the work of a deranged serial killer. At first, the only link is the victims' similar physical appearance. But then another connection emerges, tying them to a long-ago series of horrifying crimes Audrey hoped would never resurface--crimes that hit all too close to home.

No Time To Cry
Each grisly new discovery proves the past has not been forgotten, and the worst is yet to come. Audrey went looking for the truth and she's about to find it. . .and it will be more twisted and more terrifying than she ever imagined...

When a recent spate of horrific murders is linked to a long-ago series of brutal crimes she hoped would never resurface, Chattanooga grief counselor Audrey Sherrod, who moonlights for the local police, soon discovers that the worst is yet to come.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,138,608 books! | Top bar: Always visible