Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

Girl in Translation (edition 2011)

by Jean Kwok

Member:ELCLBookclub
Title:Girl in Translation
Authors:Jean Kwok
Info:Riverhead Trade (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:book club

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok

English (144)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (1)  All (148)
I thought this book was truly an amazing book. The story tells about a young girl and her mother who immigrate to America. Kimberly and her mother were brought here and cared by her Aunt Paula. Kimberly and her mother worked In a clothing store very early, or if Kimberly had school, she would go there and come right after school to the factory. In my opinion, they have a pretty tough life. While trying to get an education, she also has to worry about helping her mother or paying for college. Kimberly also while she's there meets many new friends like Matt from the clothing factory or her best friend Annette who she meets at school. All is well until she gets into trouble by experimenting with drugs or getting pregnant
jeopardizing her full scholarship to Yale. She becomes torn to choose what her life will be, but in the end she ends up becoming a heart surgeon raising her son along with living with her mother becoming very successful. I honestly am not suprised as much as others would. If she is able enough to earn a free scholarship to Yale or get into a very fancy, top - notch, all around high school, then she is able to get her life started again. Overall, I do think is was a very good book that provided feeling and allowed me to sink into it to not only get away from other distractions, but to entertain myself as well. ( )
  shcolindres | Jan 17, 2017 |
This book is a good level for me to read because I am an immigrant from China, too. So I really understand the situation and how the main character, Kimberly, felt. She had to work in the factory during school years, study and work at the same time in a poor condition. I experienced the difficulty of being a totally new person here too, but not as bad as Kimberly. I needed to learn English hard and helped my family out. This book express some of my feelings. It is good. ( )
  yingyinli | Jan 6, 2017 |
I thought this book was a good book because of it's scenes or situations and that they are serious issues and occurs to a lot of people. For example, Kim had to work in a factory with her mother under very horrible living conditions and still had to deal with her school life. I think that people should read this book see how hard this world can be for some people and the hardships they have to go through to have a decent life. ( )
  SimonLuong | Jan 5, 2017 |
This book was written beautifully and told the story of a young girl named Kimberly and her mother who immigrated to New York from China. The book reveals the hardships her and her mother had to go through from working illegally in a factory to trying to find better living conditions for them to live in.
  samantha.c | Jan 5, 2017 |
This book was very good. It was fun to see Kimberly grow up in newyork city and how she went from a poor girl in a beaten down house to much more. And how she overcame the many challenges that she faced like the bully at school where she kissed to embarrass him. I also liked seeing the chemistry between Matt and Kimberly when they were at the factory. ( )
  joshuagee | Jan 4, 2017 |
Through Kimberly's story, author Jean Kwok, who also emigrated from Hong Kong as a young girl, brings to the page the lives of countless immigrants who are caught between the pressure to succeed in America, their duty to their family, and their own personal desires, exposing a world that we rarely hear about. Written in an indelible voice that dramatizes the tensions of an immigrant girl growing up between two cultures, surrounded by a language and world only half understood, Girl in Translation is an unforgettable and classic novel of an American immigrant—a moving tale of hardship and triumph, heartbreak and love, and all that gets lost in translation.

Kwok adeptly captures the hardships of the immigrant experience and the strength of the human spirit to survive and even excel despite the odds.
added by khuggard | editLibrary Journal

Jean Kwokprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wey, GrayceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Erwin, Stefan and Milan, and to the memory of my brother Kwan S. Kwok
I was born with a talent. Not for dance, nor comedy, nor anything so delightful. I've always had a knack for school. Everything that was taught there, I could learn: quickly and without too much effort. It was as if school were a vast machine and I a cog perfectly formed to fit in it. This is not to say that my education was always easy for me. When Ma and I moved to the U.S., I spoke only a few words of English and for a very long time, I struggled.
What Annette didn't understand was that silence could be a great protector. I couldn't afford to cry when there was no escape. Talking about my problems would only illuminate the lines of my unhappiness in the cold light of day, showing me, as well as her, the things I had been able to bear only because they had been half hidden in the shadows. I couldn't expose myself like that, not even for her.
Brains are beautiful.

Ah-Kim Chang and her mother immigrate to Brooklyn, where they work for Kim's Aunt Paula in a Chinatown clothing factory earning barely enough to keep them alive; however, Kim's perseverance and hard work earns her a place at an elite private school where she is befriended by Annette, who helps her adjust to American culture.

Emigrating with her mother from Hong Kong to Brooklyn, Kimberly Chang begins a secret double life as an exceptional schoolgirl during the day and sweatshop worker at night, an existence also marked by her first crush and the pressure to save her family from poverty.… (more)

Jean Kwok is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,739,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible