Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia

Monster Hunter Vendetta (edition 2010)

by Larry Correia

Title:Monster Hunter Vendetta
Authors:Larry Correia
Info:Baen (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy

Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia

English (11)  German (1)  All languages (12)
I really wanted to give this 5 stars. It was so much fun to read! It reminds me in some weird way of a Stephanie-Plum-like novel for men. Maybe it was just that Agent Franks reminded me of Ranger. Sometimes I really wondered if he actually was, like he somehow got assigned to this case, and he told Stephanie he had been sent on a dangerous, prolonged mission and he wouldn't be back for a while. I can hear you thinking that it's just fiction, so that can't have happened, but my brain seems not to be aware of that detail when I read. Anyway, it was like a dessert buffet with one fun treat after another. Honestly, he is a great writer. Very good with characters. My only complaint, and hence the 4 stars, is too many climaxes. I got desensitized to them to the point that I wanted everyone to just die already. But I will definitely keep on reading! ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |
As with the first one, a really good, fun read!
  ajohnson2371 | Nov 7, 2014 |
Larry Correia is the new Jim Butcher. He'd be the new and improved Jim Butcher if there wasn't so much swearing in the books.

This book is easily five stars, and I'm stoked for the next one. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit:

“When monsters have nightmares, they’re dreaming about us.” — MHI handbook

Monster Hunter Vendetta is the second installment of Larry Correia’s MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL series. In the first book, Monster Hunter International, we met Owen Zastava Pitt who used to be an accountant and gun hobbyist until his boss turned into a werewolf and Owen had to kill him. Now Owen is one of the best agents MHI has ever had.

It’s lucky that he’s so good at his job because Owen made a very dangerous enemy when he recently thwarted the Old Ones’ attempt to break into our dimension (read about this in the first book, Monster Hunter International). Now Owen is being hunted by the minions of the Old Ones, including a necromancer named The Shadow Man and the members of a death cult called the Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition. Because they’re evil, they’ll stop at nothing to get their way, including killing innocent people and targeting Owen’s family to get at him.

This time Owen and the gang are fighting — along with all the usual werewolves, vampires and zombie hordes — doppelgängers, undead elephants, zombie bears, a shoggoth, giant walking trees, gangsta gnomes (so funny!), a brain worm that eats memories, and Julie’s mother. It sounds like too much — everything but the kitchen sink, you know (though I wouldn’t be surprised to find MHI shooting animated kitchen sinks in a future installment) — but it works.

As usual, the government can’t stop themselves from meddling with MHI. They want in on the action and they know Owen is the target, so Agent Franks, one of Owen’s human nemeses, is assigned as Owen’s bodyguard. If you didn’t love Agent Franks already (and you probably didn’t), you will by the end of Monster Hunter Vendetta.

It doesn’t happen very often that the second book in a series is better than the first, but it’s true in this case. Monster Hunter Vendetta is a wild ride — to say that it’s exciting, frightening, creative, violent, bloody and funny would be too much of an understatement. It’s eye-popping, heart-pounding, and totally unputdownable. I was engrossed (and grossed out) from the first page to the last. As I mentioned in my review of the previous book, it’s too gory for me to say that I really love it — a few too many disemboweled bodies and heads bitten off for me — but I can say that I really really admire it and I almost love it. Those who go for this sort of thing are likely to consider MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL a perfect specimen of testosterone-filled dude lit. (This sounds sexist, I know, but Larry Correia could have made this series more appealing to female readers by increasing the romantic tension.)

One thing I particularly liked about Monster Hunter Vendetta is that it’s very funny. Not the wacky slapstick Three Stooges kind of funny — there’s none of that. Correia uses a delightfully morbid dry humor which works especially well with Oliver Wyman’s narration of the audio version. Though Wyman’s narration is lively, he deadpans the humorous lines perfectly. (If you’re reading MHI and haven’t tried the audio version, you’re missing out.) There are also occasional SFF allusions that made me smile.

I’m impressed with how well plotted this series has been so far. Larry Correia set up the background for Monster Hunter Vendetta back in the first book when we learn about Owen’s family, Julie’s parents, and the history of MHI. I already felt like I knew Owen’s mother, a Serbian woman who demonstrates her love by cooking for people, his father who brought up his boys to be tough survivalists, and his brother who became a heavy metal rock star. When we meet Owen’s family in Monster Hunter Vendetta we (and Owen himself) start to comprehend that his destiny has been in place since before he was even born. This plot is way bigger than we realized back in book one. I can’t wait to read on…. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Better than the first Monster Hunter book. A lot more things are happening and the author does well in keeping you intrested. I struggled to put the book down, I just had to know what would happen next! A very nice final battle. The series is starting to reminded me of the Dresden books, which is high praise ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
"When monsters have nightmares, they're dreaming about us." - MHI Company Handbook
This novel is dedicated to Diamantine.
It was less than a year ago that the illusion shattered and I got my welcome to the real world.

"Accountant turned professional monster hunter, Owen Zastava Pitt, managed to stop the nefarious Old One's invasion plans last year, but as a result made an enemy out of one of the most powerful beings in the universe. Now an evil death cult known as the Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition wants to capture Owen in order to gain the favor of the great Old Ones"--Author's website.… (more)

2 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,712,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible