Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia

Monster Hunter Vendetta (edition 2010)

by Larry Correia

Member:lesliej
Title:Monster Hunter Vendetta
Authors:Larry Correia
Info:Baen (2010), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 656 pages
Collections:ebooks
Tags:ebook, urban fantasy

Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia

Larry Correia is the new Jim Butcher. He'd be the new and improved Jim Butcher if there wasn't so much swearing in the books.

This book is easily five stars, and I'm stoked for the next one. ( )
  Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
Originally posted at FanLit:

“When monsters have nightmares, they’re dreaming about us.” — MHI handbook

Monster Hunter Vendetta is the second installment of Larry Correia’s MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL series. In the first book, Monster Hunter International, we met Owen Zastava Pitt who used to be an accountant and gun hobbyist until his boss turned into a werewolf and Owen had to kill him. Now Owen is one of the best agents MHI has ever had.

It’s lucky that he’s so good at his job because Owen made a very dangerous enemy when he recently thwarted the Old Ones’ attempt to break into our dimension (read about this in the first book, Monster Hunter International). Now Owen is being hunted by the minions of the Old Ones, including a necromancer named The Shadow Man and the members of a death cult called the Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition. Because they’re evil, they’ll stop at nothing to get their way, including killing innocent people and targeting Owen’s family to get at him.

This time Owen and the gang are fighting — along with all the usual werewolves, vampires and zombie hordes — doppelgängers, undead elephants, zombie bears, a shoggoth, giant walking trees, gangsta gnomes (so funny!), a brain worm that eats memories, and Julie’s mother. It sounds like too much — everything but the kitchen sink, you know (though I wouldn’t be surprised to find MHI shooting animated kitchen sinks in a future installment) — but it works.

As usual, the government can’t stop themselves from meddling with MHI. They want in on the action and they know Owen is the target, so Agent Franks, one of Owen’s human nemeses, is assigned as Owen’s bodyguard. If you didn’t love Agent Franks already (and you probably didn’t), you will by the end of Monster Hunter Vendetta.

It doesn’t happen very often that the second book in a series is better than the first, but it’s true in this case. Monster Hunter Vendetta is a wild ride — to say that it’s exciting, frightening, creative, violent, bloody and funny would be too much of an understatement. It’s eye-popping, heart-pounding, and totally unputdownable. I was engrossed (and grossed out) from the first page to the last. As I mentioned in my review of the previous book, it’s too gory for me to say that I really love it — a few too many disemboweled bodies and heads bitten off for me — but I can say that I really really admire it and I almost love it. Those who go for this sort of thing are likely to consider MONSTER HUNTER INTERNATIONAL a perfect specimen of testosterone-filled dude lit. (This sounds sexist, I know, but Larry Correia could have made this series more appealing to female readers by increasing the romantic tension.)

One thing I particularly liked about Monster Hunter Vendetta is that it’s very funny. Not the wacky slapstick Three Stooges kind of funny — there’s none of that. Correia uses a delightfully morbid dry humor which works especially well with Oliver Wyman’s narration of the audio version. Though Wyman’s narration is lively, he deadpans the humorous lines perfectly. (If you’re reading MHI and haven’t tried the audio version, you’re missing out.) There are also occasional SFF allusions that made me smile.

I’m impressed with how well plotted this series has been so far. Larry Correia set up the background for Monster Hunter Vendetta back in the first book when we learn about Owen’s family, Julie’s parents, and the history of MHI. I already felt like I knew Owen’s mother, a Serbian woman who demonstrates her love by cooking for people, his father who brought up his boys to be tough survivalists, and his brother who became a heavy metal rock star. When we meet Owen’s family in Monster Hunter Vendetta we (and Owen himself) start to comprehend that his destiny has been in place since before he was even born. This plot is way bigger than we realized back in book one. I can’t wait to read on…. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Better than the first Monster Hunter book. A lot more things are happening and the author does well in keeping you intrested. I struggled to put the book down, I just had to know what would happen next! A very nice final battle. The series is starting to reminded me of the Dresden books, which is high praise ( )
  bishopza | Feb 7, 2014 |
Owen Pitt continues in his job as a Monster Hunter. Hired to go round the world hunting down monsters of all kinds – from oni to chupacabra, from zombies to werewolves. It’s a very dirty job, but it pays well.

Unfortunately, in his last adventure there was a problem. Due to a large number of truly epic events, Owen was indirectly responsible for having a nuclear weapon drop into a very bad place and hit an Elder God. The Elder God is Not Pleased and blames Owen.

And so Owen finds himself being hunted by an obscenely powerful cult – a cult made up of many normal humans, but also no small numbers of monsters including shoggoth, oni, zombies, vampires and Mr. Trash Bags, his fiancee’s imaginary friend. A cult lead by a Necromancer of incredible power who is seeking to literally conquer the world with his army and his magic. And first and foremost to do that he needs to throw Owen through to the Elder God to curry some favour. He’s deadly, ruthless, lethal – and willing to go after Owen’s family to get the job done.

Of course, on such an epic scale, Monster Hunter International can’t be expected to act alone. The Federal government’s Monster Control Bureau is very much present and doing whatever it can to destroy this cult – and if that means using Owen as bait, they will. If that means sacrificing Owen’s family – well they’re happy to do that as well. Owen, less so.

And if things weren’t complicated enough, there’s a spy in Monster Hunter International – and the Necromancer himself has old ties with the organisation. Who do they trust and who do they blame?

I love this book and this series. And I feel vaguely guilty for doing so. I don’t think it has huge amounts of depth and nuance (but you’d be surprised and I’ll return to that) or even a super super complicated story (but it has twists). What it does have is scary monsters and guys with guns blowing them up with great relish. We have gun fights, monster fights, we stalk them, we run from them, we bunker down and raid and charge and storm. The enemy are monsters, not sparkly angsty monsters, or sexy monsters or nuanced monsters – monsters. The Big Bad wants to destroy the world, but the good guys have a gunship with really big guns. And lots of geeky references.

Part of me feels like I should be guilty for loving it, like being caught watching an awful action movie and then trying to justify your interest beyond the “oooh explosions awesome” factor. But there IS a lot more to the Monster Hunter series.

FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
I'm sorry to say that as much it looks like pulp fiction brain candy, I enjoyed it none the less. It was fast, fun, and intelligent (as much as shoot, blowing up, hacking, and generally destroying zombies, vampires, monsters, and Cthulu can be).

And, of course, it was WAY over the top. What's not to love? ( )
  publiusdb | Aug 22, 2013 |
"When monsters have nightmares, they're dreaming about us." - MHI Company Handbook
This novel is dedicated to Diamantine.
It was less than a year ago that the illusion shattered and I got my welcome to the real world.

"Accountant turned professional monster hunter, Owen Zastava Pitt, managed to stop the nefarious Old One's invasion plans last year, but as a result made an enemy out of one of the most powerful beings in the universe. Now an evil death cult known as the Church of the Temporary Mortal Condition wants to capture Owen in order to gain the favor of the great Old Ones"--Author's website.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,469,638 books! | Top bar: Always visible