Licensed for Trouble (PJ Sugar) by Susan May…

Licensed for Trouble (PJ Sugar)

by Susan May Warren

Series: PJ Sugar (3)

PJ has lost her welcome at her sisters house and is sleeping on the sofa at work, working towards her PI license. She is informed she has inherited the Kellog mansion, the catch is she has to live there. The place is in disrepair until Max, a man with amnesia knocks on her door to make a deal. Max offers to fix up the mansion in exchange of PJ finding out who he is. While trying to find out who Max is, many things happen, a car blows up on the street infront of PJ and Jeremy, someone pushed PJ and her car off the road into the lake, someone shows up at PJ's house and fights with Jeremy, Boone and Max and Max disappears.

Once again I was waiting to find the answers to so many questions. Why does PJ inherit the house, who really is PJ, who is Max, what is his life story, who is after PJ and why. There is so much that happens in this book. This series has just the right amount of mystery, fun and romance. And it reminds us that God does take care of our needs. I really love this story and wish a fourth book would be written.
  eccl | Aug 5, 2015 |
NCLA Review -PJ Sugar is working toward her Private Investigator license and trying to catch a bail jumper. She inherited an estate from a wealthy widow she barely knew and wants to understand why she was given this gift. A mysterious handyman with amnesia offers to trade his skills, making necessary repairs on the estate for help in investigating his past. Add romance and humor for a fun, delightful read. This fast-paced mystery comes to resolution with many surprises. This novel is the third book in the PJ Sugar series. It can be read alone, but there are many situations that are mentioned from the past which would be helpful to know. Susan May Warren is the RITA award-winning author of more than twenty-five novels. Rating: 4 —PD ( )
  ncla | May 17, 2011 |
Susan has a very engaging writing style that quickly draws the reader into the pages of her books. There is suspense and tension sprinkled with just the right amount of humor to let you relax and yet still keep you engrossed. The characters are well-contrived and likable. The plot is fairly basic but has enough twists and turns that you don't get from point A to point B without first following a very circuitous path.

Throughout the pages of the book, PJ, who was adopted by her family, often questions her roots and wonders about whom she is and where she came from. When she becomes the heir to the Kellogg estate, questions whose answers have remained hidden for years begin coming to light. Even though PJ is unsure of her earthly origins, she is solid in her belief in the important fact; that she is an heir of Christ, and a child of the King. This Biblical principal is displayed in the book of Romans, chapter 8, verse 17: "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (KJV)
Even though this was the third book in the series and I haven't yet read the first two, I was easily able to follow along with the plot without feeling that I was missing anything. True, there were numerous references to events in the earlier books that would have perhaps given me a greater understanding of the characters and their role in PJ's life; however, the deficit was not sufficient to make me feel that I could not follow along with the story.

When I look at the impressive list of previous books by Susan, I am astounded that this is the first book of hers that I have been privileged to read. However, from my experience with Licensed for Trouble, I can promise that it will not be my last. I will be on the lookout for past and future books by Susan May Warren to add to my collection. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a fun, yet suspenseful, experience.

I received this book as a Goodreads First Read book. I was in no way obligated to provide a positive review and all statements contained herein are my honest opinion. I received no compensation in any form for providing my review. The book was provided by Tyndale House Publishers. ( )
  HisChild | Feb 24, 2011 |
Fresh from getting kicked out of her sister’s house in Double Trouble, PJ Sugar is living on her boss Jeremy Kane’s, couch and wondering whether he’ll ever mention their kiss, or kiss her again for that matter. Jeremy will not give her serious cases without a PI license (or so he says), so PJ is stuck chasing bail breakers and winding up in all sorts of embarassing photos in the local newspaper.

As PJ begins to reconsider her living situation, she receives the surprising news that she has inherited the Kellogg mansion. PJ has never had any connection to the wealthy Kelloggs – besides gawking at their house as a child – and is unsure why the late Agatha Kellogg made her the sole benefactor of the fortune. As PJ moves in, she finds the mansion in an utter state of disrepair and cloaked in the unsolved murder mystery of Agatha’s daughter. Adding to the unknowns, Max Smith, a man suffering from amnesia, shows up at her doorstep offering handyman services in exchange for PJ’s assistance in uncovering his true identity.

Licensed for Trouble is a worthy sequel to Double Trouble and Susan May Warren once again did a great job at combining a somewhat dark mystery with humor, making this book very fun and lighthearted. Licensed for Trouble is technically Christian literature, but the references to religion are so few and far in between that they do not take over the story line. At times, I felt that there were too many loose strings and that there was no way Warren could bring them together in a satisfactory way. However, she did just that and somehow everything tied together and made perfect sense in the end. Three books into the series, PJ Sugar is still a delightful character and I look forward to future installments. ( )
  verka6811 | Jan 10, 2011 |

PJ Sugar receives shocking news that she's inherited the Kellogg family mansion. Though she has no idea why, the timing is perfect. PJ has clearly worn out her welcome at her sister's house. Unfortunately, the mansion is in shambles, and PJ is short on cash. Rescue comes in the form of Max Smith, a mysterious handyman willing to trade his services for PJ's investigative skills. But PJ already has a full docket with cramming for her PI license and nurturing a growing romance with her boss, Jeremy Kane. Can she take on Max's case without dropping the ball?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,931,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible