Running Scared by Shannon K. Butcher

by Shannon K. Butcher

Running Scared
4 Stars

Synopsis:
Lexi Johns has been raised to believe that the Sentinel Warriors are a dangerous threat and will do anything to rescue her best friend from them. Zach is a Sentinel with only one goal: to convince Lexi that her destiny is intertwined with his and that she is the only one with the ability to channel the power that can destroy him.

Review:
Intricate and detailed world building combined with an intense plot that contains one or two shocking revelations and some spine tingling moments. One of the best aspects of this series is that the female characters play an important role in the battle against evil. They are not merely damsels in distress in need of rescue.

Zach and Lexi’s romance is fantastic and their relationship builds and grows on every page. Lexi’s intentions are pure but she is a little naïve regarding the consequences of her actions. Moreover, her trust issues make it difficult to let others in and she struggles not only with attraction to Zach but also with the growing awareness that her entire belief system has been based on lies. Zach is an admirable hero with infinite patience and acceptance of Lexi’s distrust.

The story is a complex amalgamation of several subplots including Lexi’s strategy for rescuing Helen, the Sanguinars’ secret plans to save their people, a spy within the Sentinel compound, and a race of princely beings who have been visiting earth, not to mention the monstrous Synestryn who have their own agenda for the planet. Some of these are resolved in this book and others will have to wait for subsequent installments.

There are numerous secondary characters but all are well-developed and interesting. The most compelling are Madoc and Nika whose intense connection is just spellbinding and I can’t wait to read their book next.

The Sentinel Wars is an engrossing series. It is, however, necessary to read the books in order otherwise it is virtually impossible to understand what is going on in the overall story arc. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Like the first two books in her Sentinel Wars series, this deals withe one Sentinel finding his mate. Again, Butcher creates real main and secondary characters, compelling plot lines and interesting twists. My favorite part of her stories is the secondary story lines that connect all the books, which, to be honest, is my favorite part of the book. While the story focuses on the main hero and heroine, it is not only about them and therefore the story has a wider scope, making for a deeper romance novel.
Prude Note: There are several sex scenes, and few graphic sexual descriptions. Most are easy to skip, althought the one liners are not. ( )
  empress8411 | Jan 21, 2014 |
This is a fun series. It has interesting world building that I have not read the likes of before. And it has characters that are very relatable. The main storyline is the romance of the couple in each book, but the fantasy elements play an important role. This book expanded the world of the Sentinels considerably and I am excited to move on to the next book.

I did skim some parts and I thought there were too many points of view. But this is still a decent paranormal romance read. I enjoy picking up books in this series and I look forward to the next one. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
This would have to be my favorite book in the series so far. I loved the first two, but I waited for Shannon to write Zach and Lexi's story and it was worth the wait. This series is slowly climbing into my top three favorites. Zach and Lexi's characters were introduced in the first book with Drake and Helen. I remember reading and loving Drake and Helen, but could not wait to read more on Zach and Lexi. I found their characters to be very funny and wild. In Running Scared it was the same thing. I think they were meant for each other. Shannon matched up these characters perfectly. Lately I've been reading a lot of books where the female is a very strong minded person and is not afraid to fight for what they believe in. Shannon has given that in Running Scared. Lexi knows how to defend herself, she does not back down from anything even if she is afraid and will do whatever to protect those she cares about.I find Zach's obsession with Lexi hilarious and I don't know why. I remember reading the first book laughing to myself at how he was like high off of meeting Lexi haha. He pretty much hunted her down through out the first and second book. She was the one for him and he was not stopping until he showed her that. Of course he had a very hard time because Lexi had her mind made up that his kind were the enemies.Another thing I really liked about this book was that Shannon gave us a little more on Madoc and Nika. I really would like to see them end up together. I love Madoc's attitude it is just so sexy!The only problem I did have with this book was a small chapter near the end (a bit of a spoiler) where Shannon introduces a new character that is suppose to be two of the girls real father. I just felt like that whole scene could have been written differently. It's hard to explain exactly what I did not like, but I do know it explained a lot. I still give this book 5 stars honestly. I really like this series and can not wait for the next book. ( )
  DamarisGCR | Nov 18, 2011 |

Lexi Johns has one purpose: to free her best friend from the hands of the Sentinels. And Zach, the Sentinel she has been running from for months, has one goal: to convince her that their destinies are entwined. For the magic that Zach has absorbed could destroy him if he doesn't find the woman who can channel it for him. And he knows Lexi is the one.

From an early age, Lexi has been taught to fear the Sentinels. And now she is an agent of a group out to destroy them. So when Zach finds her, it is Lexi's chance to strike at the heart of the Sentinels. But, as Lexi sees Zach's courage, selflessness, and honor, she begins to doubt her beliefs -- and is faced with an unbearable choice.

Lexi Johns has one purpose: to free her best friend from the hands of the Sentinels. And the Sentinel she has been running from for months, Zach, has one goal: to convince her that their destinies are entwined. For the magic that Zach has absorbed could destroy him if he doesn't find the woman to channel it for him. And he knows Lexi is the one.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible