The Dancing Pancake by Eileen Spinelli

The Dancing Pancake (2010)

by Eileen Spinelli

Characters: Bindi, Meagan, Kyra, Albert, Mom, Dad, and Aunt Darnell

Setting: In the house, modern times.

Theme: Experiencing your parents getting a divorce can be difficult.

Genre: fiction, verse

Summary: This book tells the story about a girl who is experiencing her parents getting a divorce and has trouble accepting it. The story goes through many different characters who try to help her get over it but she still has difficulties accepting it. Some of the people who try to help her include, her aunt, teacher, and friends.

Audience: Middle school students experiencing their parents getting a divorce.

Curriculum ties: language, verse writing, and analysis.

Personal response: Personally, I have never experienced a divorce, but I have friends who have went through it.. What I find interesting is that they experienced similar ordeals that Bindi went through. Even though there were many people there for her to help her, she struggled with accepting the event. I don’t blame. Such a drastic change within a family can take a toll on anyone. Luckily in the end, she comes to terms with it and accepts things for what they are. IT is with the help around her that helps her get through what she experienced.
In terms of the writing style of this book, I found the writing to be very interesting and modern. It does a great job with heading each area that there is a change within the story. The story gives multiple experiences that Bindi went through to solve her problems. With the added pictures, it sets the tone of the text as a bit of a sketch of some sort. But overall, this book can help students cope with the difficulties with a divorce. With the interesting play with language, it sets a new way for kids to relate to subjects. ( )
  Thach | May 13, 2013 |
More like 2 and a half stars. Okay, nothing special. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
I've read many books by Jerry Spinelli. This is the first book I've read by his wife. This was a wonderful book to read. Written in verse this is the story of Bindi and her family. When Bindi's mom opens "The Dancing Pancake" with her aunt, and moves them into an apartment above the restaurant, Bindi learns life lessons she might not have learned. She must learn to deal with her parent's separation. While learning how to deal with this and other changes, she learns that other people around her have problems too. This is a delightful book. I hope the author writes more for this age group. ( )
  skstiles612 | Oct 31, 2010 |
To all the wonderful staff and students at Glenolden School in Pennsylvania. --E.S.
For Max and Mattiece, my inspirations. To Cecile and Stephanie for your enthusiasm, for your belief in my art, and, most of all, for giving me amazing books to illustrate. Thank you. --J.L.-V.
I am on the front lawn / making snow angels / with Albert Poole.

DELICIOUS PANCAKES!!
FREE!!
ALL YOU CAN EAT!!
COME TO OUR
NEW GRAND OPENING!

The grand opening of the Dancing Pancake isn't the only new thing in Bindi's life: new friends, a new apartment, maybe even a cute new crush? But there are other changes, like her dad's move to a new city, that have left Bindi confused and wondering: What will happen to my family? Will this new life ever feel normal? Among the unlikely bunch of regulars who form a makeshift community at the diner, Bindi will try to figure out how to be a new version of herself, one pancake and one silly elephant joke (her uncle's specialty) at a time.

With plenty of surprises, milk shakes, fake spiders, and real feelings, readers are sure to flip for the sweet mix of humor and heart in The Dancing Pancake.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:57 -0400)

Eleven-year-old Belinda "Bindi" Winkler and her family find their way through tough times with the love and support of the community that grows around their newly opened restaurant, "The Dancing Pancake."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,318,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible