Magic Tree House #22: Revolutionary War on…

Magic Tree House #22: Revolutionary War on Wednesday

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (22)

George Washington's Socks by Elvira Woodruff (benuathanasia)
    benuathanasia: Similar concepts: Modern children being magically transported back in time to the Revolutionary War to perceive it first-hand. Both are good for low-level readers and younger children.

GR: M
GL: 2.2
DRA: 24
Lexile: 320L
  Infinityand1 | Aug 3, 2016 |
I liked this book for several reasons. The language used is on the level of an elementary school reader, so even though this is a historical fiction book, children are able to understand the history without not understanding the plot of this book. This book plot is set in the revolutionary war period and the author did a great job in keeping characters and setting realistic to the time period. The author pairs factual events with a fictional twist. The magic that Morgan La Frey gives to Jack and Annie is not a real event, but the adventure and the people that these characters meet are great for children learning about history. The main idea of this book is an introduction on an important event in american history and a story of persistence from the two children getting what they need for Morgan. ( )
  rbiegel | Apr 17, 2016 |
I would use this book for a 3rd-4th grade read aloud story. Some night, I would assign a chapter or so for homework. The story is engaging for students because the children in the story are around the same age as them. I would use this book to familiarize or reteach the Revolutionary War. We would look at the things discussed in the book, and link them to real events. We would differentiate between fact and fiction in the book. Upon completion of the book, I would have students do independent research on iPads or in the lab about traditional Colonial clothing. After familiarizing with it, I would have students write a compare and contrast piece between the traditional Colonial clothing, and present day clothing. If I chose not to do the compare and contrast piece with clothing, I would show students a painting of Washington Crossing the Delaware. I would have students compare and contrast the painting to the description in the book. This would help students refer to the text. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 14, 2016 |
I liked this chapter book for two reasons: descriptive language and illustrations. Descriptive language allows readers to imagine what is happening in the story, so much that the readers can put themselves into the text that they are reading. Mary Pop Osborne creates an adventure with descriptive language for the main characters, Jack and Annie. For example the sentences, “He had a wool scarf around his neck. He was also wearing woolen pants that buttoned at the knees, a coat, and a hat with three corners” describes to readers all of the warm clothes that Jack was wearing. The amount of clothes and wool that Jack is dressed in helps readers imagine how cold the weather is on Jack and Annie’s adventure. Second, the chapter book includes a few illustrations. The illustrations portray what the soldiers looked like during the Revolutionary War; therefore, enhancing the story for readers. The big idea of the story is that the Revolutionary War was a difficult time for soldiers and their families; however, the harder the conflict, the more gracious the triumph. ( )
  MackenzieYee | Feb 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book because it gives children an insight into the Revolutionary War in a fun, exciting way. I enjoyed how the author painted the picture of how different the setting was back then compared to today by using descriptive detail about the character's outfits and surroundings. I think that Mary Pope Osbourne does a great job explaining historical moments in ways that are interesting for children, especially since some of the historical topics may seem unappealing for children. For example, the main characters Jack and Annie have many encounters with George Washington, which gives the reader a better understanding of how he led our country. A main theme in this book was perseverance, as Jack and Annie give Washington reminders to keep moving forward and to ensure his men are as well. I think that overall this is a good book for children and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  alexavecchio | Nov 28, 2015 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For the Foley family--
John, Susie, Jack, and Elliott
"Wake up, Jack!" Annie whispered.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679890688, Paperback)

If it's Wednesday, it must be Revolutionary War day. Jack and Annie, stars of the Magic Tree House series, are in for another adventure in their time- and space-traveling tree house. Mysterious magical librarian Morgan le Fay has set four new tasks for the siblings. Jack and Annie must find four special kinds of writing for Morgan's library in order to save Camelot, the ancient kingdom of King Arthur. In Civil War on Sunday, the pair traveled back to the 1860s to collect a list of rules ("something to follow") from famous nurse Clara Barton. Now they discover they must visit another war era: the Revolutionary War. Jack and Annie set aside their apprehension and soon they're spinning back through time to Christmas Day, 1776, on the banks of the Delaware River in Pennsylvania, where they encounter none other than the man on the dollar bill himself, George Washington! The children accidentally-on-purpose end up embroiled in the famous commander-in-chief's mission, where they not only play a part in convincing Washington to carry on with his patriotic duty, but also find the second kind of writing for Morgan's library: "something to send."

Award-winning author Mary Pope Osborne's young adventure series, The Magic Tree House, is immensely popular among children and teachers alike, promoting a fascination with history--and reading--no textbook can match. (Ages 6 to 9) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:37 -0400)

Using their magic tree house, Jack and Annie travel back to the time of the American Revolution and help General George Washington during his famous crossing of the Delaware River.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,387,134 books! | Top bar: Always visible