Fowl Weather by Bob Tarte

Don't judge - these ppl are all too human, doing the best they can to help innocent critters. I, personally, would *not* save the life of a starling (invasive species in US), but then I don't face all the challenges Bob and Linda do, either. Just enjoy the antics and feel the heart.

Impulse grab at the library - wish I'd known how much I would have appreciated waiting to read this until *after* Enslaved by Ducks (and so now I've got to go back and read that).

-------------------

Have now read [b:Enslaved by Ducks|43074|Enslaved by Ducks|Bob Tarte|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1394884333s/43074.jpg|42512]. Gave it the same rating as this, but this is slightly the better book. If you're interested in either, I recommend that you read both, in order. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
Great stories for lovers of animals. I am glad to see that our pets aren't the only nutty ones!

I can't wait to read Bob Tarte's other books! ( )
  yukon92 | Aug 1, 2013 |
This isn't the kind of book I normally read, but the cover was intriguing and since we've populated our current lives with cats, dogs and chickens, it looked as if it might be an entertainig read.

The protagonist, I assume this is all about Bob, is a character frought with foibles and genetic limitations and attributes far too common. I truly feel for his long suffering wife and enjoyed the fact that the creatures populating his tale shine with individualism. Each of our chickens, bird brains that they be, have their own personalities, likes and dislikes.

While the story didn't contain a true story arc and actually seemed to end simply because Bob chose to stop writing, it was entertaining, often light hearted, but often depressingly real. I didn't feel a strong compunction to pick up the book, but did enjoy each moment I spent with it.

I won't seek out his other works, but if I stumble across one at a used book sale, I'll surely pick it up. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Aug 13, 2011 |
I was disappointed in this book, because I thought it was heavily mis-advertised. Based on the title, blurbs, etc. this book was supposed to be a funny look at the superiority of animals when they're encountered a well-meaning but less savvy human, much like Gerald Durrell and James Herriott. I have all the books those two authors wrote, and this is nothing like them. It is far more about the author dealing with depression and some sort of belief in the paranormal and, frankly, I ended the book wishing he and his wife would find good home for the animals and focus on fixing themselves (his wife has chronic back problems) before taking in any more animals. I didn't find a good laugh in the book and had to force myself to finish, since I found it so depressing. ( )
  NellieMc | Apr 1, 2010 |
"How 39 animals and 1 sock monkey took over my life."

Bob Tarte opens a window into his world, a world of feathers, whiskers and floppy ears. Bob and his wife, Linda, live in Michigan with countless ducks, geese, rabbits and cats and are plagued by an old schoolmate who enjoys funerals, butting in and rehousing pampered ducks. Bob Tarte shares 5 years with us, some moments laugh-out-loud funny and others heart breakingly poinant.

From the first page I was hooked. I found myself laughing, crying and unable to put this book down. Through the loss of his father and his mother's battle with alzheimer's disease, Bob clings to his sanity with the help of Linda and the zoo they live in. This book is a must read for all animal lovers, whether you are owned by a single goldfish or "39 animals and 1 sock monkey". ( )
  bookymouse | Jul 24, 2009 |
To My Mom

A reflection on the unexpected benefits of living with an exuberant menagerie of thirty-nine animals--including parrots, ducks, geese, parakeets, rabbits, cats, hens, a dove, and a turkey--describes how these diverse animals provide the spiritual anchor in the author's life.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,688,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible