Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1) by Melissa…

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2007)

by Melissa De La Cruz

Member:Crazymamie
Title:Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1)
Authors:Melissa De La Cruz
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Book 1, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Completed in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:YA, vampires, paranormal

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (2009)

Recently added byprivate library, SunnyMissHolly, silverr, AIndoria, DBReads, MABoone, WordMaven, twerkysandwich, Lorune
angels (25) Blue Bloods (56) Blue Bloods Series (22) fantasy (101) fashion (14) fiction (106) high school (26) history (11) horror (12) love (11) Manhattan (15) Melissa de la Cruz (15) mystery (20) New York (58) New York City (40) own (10) paranormal (41) private school (15) read (27) romance (39) series (62) supernatural (32) teen (54) to-read (73) unread (14) urban fantasy (41) vampires (428) YA (126) young adult (142) young adult fiction (20)

English (137)  French (1)  All languages (138)
I`m so glad I have Masquerade! This book was awesome, I`m so excited to read the rest of the series! ( )
  Steph1203 | Mar 14, 2014 |
Is it me or did 95% of this book happen in the last 10% of the book? The first 90% seemed to be endless answer-less questions that I guess were designed to draw the reader in. And since I read the whole thing I guess they did their job. I am happy to report that questions are answered and things do come together to make sense but it does take a while to get to that point. I am interested in see what happens the next installment. ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
This book was definitely acceptable. It wasn't too cheesy or trite, and not that similar to every other vampire book out there. My one beef is that the book definitely ends on a cliffhanger and there are pretty much no resolved story lines. This means you have to get the next book. I would have rather read one longer book than be made to buy multiples. ( )
  kateminasian | Sep 23, 2013 |
Melissa De La Cruz has written an interesting novel with Blue Bloods, the first in the series of the same name. The book is basically a young adult vampire novel. The book has some major similarities to other books within the young adult world, which might be completely unintentional, but it was on the annoying side to be reminded of other stories. The big one is that it reminds me a lot of Gossip Girl, only instead of the characters just being filthy rich Upper East Side teenagers, they have the added benefit of being gorgeous, immortal, and powerful due to their vampire heritage. When I say vampire heritage, I mean actual heritage. These kids are born vampires, though they don't find out until they reach their teens.

There are several main characters within the story, each with his or her own personality, agenda, and background. The main characters appear to be Schuyler, Oliver, Bliss, Mimi, and Jack. Bliss, Mimi, and Jack are full-blooded vampires, while Schuyler is a half-blood and her best friend Oliver is sort of like her trusted sidekick that was assigned to her as an infant. All of the main characters are easy to empathize with, with the exception of Mimi who comes off as the stereotypical popular, vapid, rich girl. Her character could possibly improve in future books, and I hope she does, because I don't want to root for her to die or anything. It kind of sucks when you have to do that with a protagonist.

Although the book is interesting and could even be considered good, I don't think it's all that remarkable. In some parts of the book, it was extremely easy to read and fun, but other parts just seemed to fall a bit flat. I think that the struggle between some of the protagonists and the Wardens/Conclave (vampires in power) over the issue of Silver Bloods (the Big Bad) was intriguing, though some of it was almost predictable. I found it a little hard to believe that Jack didn't realize his own "father"'s origins. I know that he hasn't looked into his past life memories as much as his twin/bondmate, but it seems like he would have known who he was. I have to wonder if Mimi knows, since she acts like she knows everything.

I was irked by the idea of twins, even of a different species, being attracted to one another and being in romantic relationships with one another. Even when explained, it irked me out, but I guess I will never get the appeal of incest in fantasy stories. (Or other stories.) Maybe if the explanation had been given earlier in the book, when the first hints at incest were made, then it wouldn't have been quite as hard to swallow, but since it wasn't, it was more irksome. I'm just glad that other characters, who didn't know that it was considered the norm for the species, were just as disgusted by it.

The interesting might be worth reading, and I think I'll stick with it for a while to see if it gets better. I hope that it does because it could be great if it actually gets better. Otherwise, it may just be the beginning of some sort of literary trainwreck. ( )
  janersm | Sep 19, 2013 |
A unique idea, decent plot and poor execution. The beginning, awkward and flat, might have been overlooked, but the neglect of pacing, dismal attempt at third person, and major plot points that were tossed in like asides made this book unbearable. While I'm curious where the series will go, the idea of embarking on another journey with this author, I find unpleasant. ( )
  LaPhenix | Sep 11, 2013 |
The family was not simply the sum of the connections created by a large, extended set of relations...a family...was a name, a material and symbolic patrimony, and a form of stakeholding in America..."describing a total lineage, past, present and future."
--Eric Homberger, "Mrs. Astor's New York"
You can't push it underground, You can't stop it screaming out, How did it come to this? You will suck the life out of me....
--Muse, "Time is Running Out"
This book is dedicated to my dad, Bert de la Cruz, true blue in every sense of the word, who has heroes' blood in his veins. This book would not exist without the love, support, insight, and intelligence of my husband, Mike Johnston, to whom I owe everything.
The Bank was a decrepit stone building at the tail end of Houston Street, on the last divide between the gritty East Village and the wilds of the Lower East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142310126X, Paperback)

Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she’s starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz’s vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:59 -0400)

Select teenagers from some of New York City's wealthiest and most socially prominent families learn a startling secret about their bloodlines.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,485,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible