Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1) by Melissa…

Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1) (original 2009; edition 2007)

by Melissa De La Cruz

Member:Crazymamie
Title:Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods, Book 1)
Authors:Melissa De La Cruz
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2007), Edition: Book 1, Paperback, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Completed in 2012
Rating:***
Tags:YA, vampires, paranormal

Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (2009)

English (148)  French (1)  All languages (149)
i really liked this vamp book it was different than the ones I have read so far (Twilight and Sookie Stackhouse) I liked the idea that they were angels that were trying to redeem themselves ( )
  LaBla | Feb 6, 2016 |
I wish I could rate it 2 1/2 stars because I didn't really dislike the book, but I didn't particularly like it either. It felt like the author said "What's popular now -dark, almost urban fantasy with a little romance? I'll try writing that" ( )
  WonderlandGrrl | Jan 29, 2016 |
This book was interesting. De La Cruz included beautiful details. Some parts were dull and slow to get through, but overall, I enjoyed it. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
It started off very slowly but sped up in the middle and by the end I was hooked. A great twist on the vampire mythos. ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
I surprised myself by loving this book.

I find that the summary on the back of the book is a little misleading - Blue Bloods follows not only the story of Schuyler Van Allen, but also the stories of Bliss Llewellyn and Madeline Force ("Mimi"). There are enough cliches to make it familiar, but few enough so that the pieces of originality stood out well. At the beginning, I was afraid that De La Cruz was going to dive into intense descriptions of clothes (hey-lo upper class, teenage NYC!), but she only did so when was appropriate, and in the voice of the one character who would actually care about something like that - Mimi. There isn't a single mention of a name-brand that Schuyler is wearing (excepting, of course, her modelling campaign, but her discomfort is clear the whole time).

The summary on the back of the book implies that this is a paranormal mystery, but the story itself seems to be more coming-of-age... except it's not about growing up... it's about becoming a vampire.

There were enough unique aspects in this book to make it feel fresh in a world that is torn between sparkly emo vampires (Meyer), and vicious, cunning vampires (Rice). She uses enough of the traditional aspects to remain true to the folklore, but explains away everything that doesn't fit. Even if she doesn't use aspects like garlic, etc., then I appreciate the fact she finds a justification for not using them. New aspects, such as the flashbacks and reincarnation? That's just cool.

However, there are points that are a little cheesy - Gabriel and Michael, for starters. Also, Oliver felt too flat after revealing his secret, as though knowing that sucked his character dry for me, and that was a little disappointing.

This book is great for people who want to read a light vampire flick, who aren't forcefully invented in "vampire" as the word is defined by another author, and as always with YA... people who can dissociate themselves from an adult mindset and recognize that the main characters may have souls as old as time, but their bodies and maturity level aren't quite as old.

I will be picking up the next book in this series, and I hope it delivers. ( )
  Morteana | Dec 1, 2015 |
The family was not simply the sum of the connections created by a large, extended set of relations...a family...was a name, a material and symbolic patrimony, and a form of stakeholding in America..."describing a total lineage, past, present and future."
--Eric Homberger, "Mrs. Astor's New York"
You can't push it underground, You can't stop it screaming out, How did it come to this? You will suck the life out of me....
--Muse, "Time is Running Out"
This book is dedicated to my dad, Bert de la Cruz, true blue in every sense of the word, who has heroes' blood in his veins. This book would not exist without the love, support, insight, and intelligence of my husband, Mike Johnston, to whom I owe everything.
The Bank was a decrepit stone building at the tail end of Houston Street, on the last divide between the gritty East Village and the wilds of the Lower East Side.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142310126X, Paperback)

Schuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she’s starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.

Schuyler wants to find out the secrets of the mysterious Blue Bloods. But is she putting herself in danger? Melissa de la Cruz’s vampire mythology, set against the glitzy backdrop of New York City, is a juicy and intoxicating read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

Select teenagers from some of New York City's wealthiest and most socially prominent families learn a startling secret about their bloodlines.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,246,342 books! | Top bar: Always visible