Invisible Murder by Lene Kaaberbol

Invisible Murder (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Lene Kaaberbol, Agnete Friis

Member:bikebloke
Title:Invisible Murder
Authors:Lene Kaaberbol
Other authors:Agnete Friis
Info:Soho Crime (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 339 pages

Invisible Murder by Lene Kaaberbøl (2010)

English (19)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (21)
I had previously read and enjoyed the author's first book in this series, The Boy in the Suitcase. I was looking forward to this book but I almost threw in the towel at page 75. The book has so many different plot threads and characters running through dIfferent countries. With so many nationalities and names I was unfamiliar with, it was quite difficult to keep everything straight. I am glad I stuck it out though because once the threads started converging together it made for quite the thriller.

The story starts out with two Roma teenagers finding something abandoned that they think they can sell for a lot of money, unfortunately for them it is radioactive. The action shifts to Denmark with nurse Nina Borg tending to a large group pf Roma's hiding out in a garage. Bad guys are after the radioactive substance and Nina gets tangled up in the plot to sell it.

This book was very topical and explored many issues such as terrorism, immigration, and sex trafficking. It was interesting to read about how the people from Hungary were received in Denmark when everyday in the news you see how Hungary is treating the people fleeing from Syria. This book should be read if for no other reason than to broaden your world view. On top of that it is a taut thriller, at least when you get to the end. ( )
  arielfl | Sep 23, 2015 |
In the ruins of an abandoned Soviet military hospital in northern Hungary, two impoverished Roma boys are scavenging for old supplies or weapons to sell on the black market when they stumble upon something more valuable than they ever could have anticipated. The resulting chain of events threatens to blow the lives of a frightening number of people.

Meanwhile, in Denmark, Red Cross nurse Nina Borg puts her life and family on the line when she tries to treat a group of Hungarian Gypsies who are living illegally in a Copenhagen garage. What are they hiding, and what is making them so sick? Nina is about to learn how high the stakes are among the desperate and the deadly.

Not having read the first book I came to this not knowing the back story which I feel did hamper my enjoyment. Not fair to mark it down as it was was written and I enjoyed learning about the Roma and the issues they face.

Don't know if I engaged enough to seek out the Boy in the Suitcase.... ( )
  jan.fleming | Feb 9, 2015 |
A surprising denouement to a plot that twisted and turned. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
A surprising denouement to a plot that twisted and turned. ( )
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
It seems I’m returning to series I liked this month–or at least this is the second book in the row that meets the criteria– and I enjoyed Invisible Murder, the second installment in the series featuring Nina Borg, a nurse who moonlights as a nurse for refugees in Denmark. Her work with the Network not only endangers herself, but it has exacted a huge toll on her husband and family, and this book is no exception.

The story centers on two young men who are Roma from Hungary, the younger of whom tries to sell something dangerous to a buyer in Denmark and implicates his brother, a law student on the verge of graduating. The story of Tamas and Sandor is the most affecting part of this book, and I was more invested in their plights than I was in Nina’s. Kaaberbol and Friis also create other sympathetic characters, including the aging investigator Soren Kirkegaard and retired building inspector Sklou-Larsen who has a rocky marriage to a much younger woman. I’m not sure why they don’t portray Nina as a bit more sympathetic: she’s pretty single-minded.

I enjoyed the first and final thirds of the book more than the middle (the second third wasn’t very mysterious to me): the first section told Sandor’s story, and the last section was very brisk as the case came together, but that is my only complaint about the book. I’m not sure why it took me over two years to get back to the series: I’ll be seeking out the rest.
  rkreish | Aug 8, 2014 |

Lene Kaaberbølprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Friis, AgneteAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
chase, taraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Information from the Danish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Måske finder vi en pistol, sagde Piktin og sigtede med pegefingeren på vagthuset ved porten.
English translation of Stille umrkeligt drab

The second installment in the bestselling Danish crime series starring Red Cross nurse Nina Borg, following Fall 2011's New York Times–bestselling The Boy in the Suitcase

In the ruins of an abandoned Soviet military hospital in northern Hungary, two impoverished Roma boys are scavenging for old supplies or weapons they could sell on the black market when they find more than they ever anticipated. The resulting chain of events threatens to blow the lives of a frightening number of people into bits and pieces.

In this feverishly anticipated follow-up to 2011’s critically acclaimed The Boy in the Suitcase, Danish Red Cross nurse Nina Borg doesn’t realize she is putting life and family on the line when she tries to treat a group of sick Hungarian gypsies who are living illegally in a Copenhagen garage. Nina has unwittingly thrown herself into a deadly nest of the unscrupulous and the desperate, and what is at stake is much more terrifying than anyone had realized.

Red Cross nurse Nina Borg risks her marriage to assist her friend Peter at a camp of mysteriously ill Roma refugee children whose circumstances prove more complicated and dangerous than originally believed.

43 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,135,627 books! | Top bar: Always visible