To The Last Round: The Epic British Stand on…

To The Last Round: The Epic British Stand on the Imjin River, Korea 1951

by Andrew Salmon

Haven't read much about the British post WWII army exploits so I looked very much forward to read it. And I found it to be a good book. The author relates this account in a free flowing and easy read language. Including a brief but fine outline of the history of Korea up to the Korean War.

And I really wish I could have finished it, but had to abandon it because - and that's my bad, not the authors - I easily loose the 'big, chromium plated breadth of view' when too many names of NCO's, privates, corporals, Majors, Generals, regiments, places, hills, deployments, manoeuvres, dates etc. etc are tossed into an account. I really have to pay attention and stay focused on a book if not to. And that takes time and extended periods of reading which I did not give my self reading this one.

That said I can only recommend it to any with interest in the subject. ( )
  JesperCFS2 | Mar 13, 2017 |
The Korean War isn't covered as much as it should be.

This book is a detailed account of the British 29th Brigade at the battle of Imjin. Where they stopped a large Chinese army in its tracks - but were decimated for that bravery.

Not only does it cover the battle, but also the prisoners held for the next two and a half years.

Fascinating read of the most intensive action of the British Army since the Second World War and the last British battle with a superpower.
  mancmilhist | Aug 28, 2014 |
This book revolves around the stand of the British 29th Brigade at the Imjin river in Korea for three days in April 1951 against overwhelming Chinese attacks. The Brigade which consisted of 3 English battalions plus a Belgian battalion were tasked to stop the Chinese 65th Army from breaking through the U.N. lines and crushing the U.N.( mainly American and South Korean) forces. The author has used the recollections of veterans who fought in this epic battle to recreate the story of the men who held the line and gave their lives in this now forgotten war . The narrative is gripping and while the fate of "the Glosters" is well known , Andrew Salmon acknowledges the important role of the other units ( Ulster Rifles, Northumberland Fusiliers and Belgians) in the battle and the breakout from encirclement. He points out that communication difficulties with their American divisional commanders may have contributed to the failure to extricate the "Glosters" and prevent their wipe-out by the Chinese. A very moving book illustrating the bravery of all the combatants involved including the Chinese enemy and the suffering of those captured and who spent two and a half years in POW camps before they were released following the Armistice in July 1953. ( )
  tbrennan1 | Jul 15, 2011 |

This is the story of the most desperate battle fought by British soldiers since WWII. In three whirlwind nights of battle, one regiment of artillery fired as many shells as were fired at El Alamein. Salmon has interviewed veterans of every unit engaged, to produce an account of the action as they experienced it. Originally published: 2009.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,402 books! | Top bar: Always visible