At Witt's End by Beth Solheim

At Witt's End

by Beth Solheim

Another easy, pleasurable read. This one is set at a resort in northern Minnesota, and centers around the twin sisters who own the resort, especially one Sadie Witt, who is an eccentric, fun-loving, 64-year-old, who also happens to be a "death coach." As death coach, she helps spirits who have unfinished business to get things in order and then find their way to the afterlife.

I found it an interesting concept, but was aggravated by the somewhat sloppy writing and horrible proofreading. When I encounter a typographical or grammatical error, my reading skreeches to a halt, and this book had a veritable plethora of them. Errors in grammar I can understand, but spelling errors? Any spell-checking program would highlight a word like "crossser."

I'd recommend the book (I gave it 3 stars), but only for a fun, not-too-much-thinking kind of read. ( )
  klobrien2 | Aug 19, 2010 |
At Witt's End was a bit of a surprise for me. What I was expecting was a Miss Marple kind of cozy mystery. While it kind of resembled a cozy, Sadie Witt is about as different from Miss Marple as two old ladies can be. Sadie is rather eccentric, she loves to dress in the latest fashions generally reserved for 19 year olds, such as thongs and halter tops and has a zest for life and new experiences. Along with this, and maybe partially explaining her behavior, she's a death coach. She was picked by the powers that be to help the dead make a decision and see them continue their journey.

Sadie and her twin sister Jane own Witt's End resort and live there in Cabin 14. Sadie has just noticed a man out in the yard who seems to be lost. He turns out to be her 5th guest, her 5th dead guest, and he isn't quite prepared to believe he's dead yet. The restless dead have an expiration date after they die, and Sadie's job is to help them move along their way before it's too late. Along with having a full house, Sadie and Jane have a pending lawsuit by the local Sheriff's Deputy who wants his grandfather's resort back and claims the twin's mother conned his grandfather out of his inheritance. On top of all this, one of her ghostly charges claims he and his family were murdered and he is sticking around to see justice done.

Even though this book was a bit of a surprise I have to say I really enjoyed reading it and I look forward to the next one due out next spring. The writing is good and fun though the sisters are a little raunchy. It's hilarious how they snipe back and forth about everything, knowing the whole time they would never have it any other way. It's a fun book, the mystery isn't real hard to see but it was interesting to try to figure out how it was all going to end. Well worth the read if you have an interest in cozy mysteries or light urban fantasy. ( )
  readafew | Apr 21, 2010 |
Sadie and Jane Witt aren't your average 64 year old twin sisters. They lead busy lives running the Witt's End resort in Nothern Minnesota, while trying to figure out how save said resort from an shady local businessman who feels they came into ownership in an undeserving manner. Sadie also has another calling, as a death coach. Turns out Cabin 14 houses people who are having trouble making it to the other side. Add in an on-site funeral parlor, a suspicious death and this mystery comes alive with all sorts of fun, quirky characters and a very good story. I really enjoyed At Witt's End and hope it's just the beginning of this paranormal-cozy series! ( )
  ethel55 | Mar 8, 2010 |
I have to admit that this is one of the best mysteries I've read in a long time. The characters are funny and endearing. They mesh together in a way that makes sparks fly every time they interact. I just could not help but picture each scene in my mind as I read about Sadie and the "guests" at Witt's End Resort. Each of the guests is trying to work out what has kept them here in this world instead of allowing them to pass to the next. It's Sadie's job to help them figure it out so they can get on with their "lives". While she's trying to do this, she's also trying to solve a murder and prevent an unscrupulous sheriff from taking her home away from her.

At Witt's End: A Sadie Witt Mystery is book one in the Sadiw Witt series. Book two is titled Outwitted and will be released in 2011. I can't wait to read it!
  scentednights2002 | Mar 3, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159080662X, Paperback)

Things are really bustling at the Witt's End resort in Northern Minnesota. Clients are vying for one of the few remaining rentals, except Cabin 14 thing is no--one gets out of Cabin 14 alive. Sadie isn't your typical sixty-four year old senior citizen. She has things she wants to do and shouldn't be expected to solve a murder while trying to prevent an unscrupulous sheriff's deputy from shutting down the lakeside resort she owns with her straight arrow sister. But that's exactly what Sadie Witt must do. When five guests with hidden agendas arrive at Cabin 14, they're stunned to learn that the flamboyant Sadie is their conduit to the hereafter. Clad in the latest fashion trends--fads typically reserved for those without sagging body parts--and sporting hairdos that make bystanders want to look away but can't, Sadie realizes one of the guests has been murdered and must work against the clock to untangle the web and prevent further mayhem.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:49 -0400)

Five guests with hidden agendas arrive at Sadie Witt's resort in northern Minnesota. When one is murdered, Saide must solve the mystery to prevent the unscrupulous sheriff's deputy from shutting down the resort.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Beth Solheim's book Cape Seduction was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible