Criminal, Vol.5: The Sinners by Ed Brubaker

Criminal, Vol.5: The Sinners

by Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips (Illustrator)

Series: Criminal (5)

[Yeah, spoilers. Boilerplate, polite version: I promise that I don't "spoil" anything about this book that would have bothered me had I known about it in advance of reading this book. That said, I cannot think of anything I have ever read in my life that would have been spoiled had I known the plot-advancing facts. This is definitely not a Cliffs Notes–style detailed summary of the story. I have no interest in writing such a thing.]

This is the first book in this series of hardboiled graphic novels that I didn't love, perhaps because it's the first to return to a character who has already had his share of time on the page.

Most likely, though, it has to do with a sense of far too much coincidence -- too many instances when people happen to be in the right place at the right time (or wrong, depending on your point of view) in order for the story to proceed. And the subplot, about a couple of dirty priests, one of them playing vigilante with a crew of teen henchboys, just doesn't have the fatalistic perfume of the earlier stories. Still, it's a pretty compelling read.
  Disquiet | Mar 30, 2013 |
Brubaker and Phillips' Criminal series continues to chug along. The art continues to impress, perfectly conveying a modern noir aesthetic. The writing is pretty good too, with some interesting plot twists and characters. In particular, I liked how Evan, a young killer motivated by a sense of justice, and Chester, a mobster without a shred of sentimentality, provide an interesting comparison for the two sides of Tracy Lawless, the hit man with a code of honor. What happens to all three ends up delivering a bleak message about the value of morals, ethics, and love, exactly what one expects from this type of genre work. ( )
1 vote bte101 | Jul 23, 2010 |
Tracy Lawless is a killer, but only of those who deserve it. This is a slippery place to be, and Tracy doesn't exactly finesse it. He's having an affair with the boss's wife, can't figure out who is killing the boss's peers, and has a guy from his past on his tail trying to drag him back where he came from. Things don't end pretty, but there's a lot to satisfy in this story. I don't think we'll be seeing Tracy again, at least for a while. ( )
1 vote Girl_Detective | Apr 12, 2010 |

Ed Brubakerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Phillips, SeanIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Criminal's most popular character, Tracy Lawless, returns in The Sinners! It's been a year since Tracy was forced into working for the bad guys, and now made men are turning up dead all over the city, in what appears to be mob-style hits. But since criminals don't go to the cops for justice... only Tracy can solve this crime. Collects Criminal: The Sinners #1-6

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:56 -0400)

A year ago Tracy Lawless was forced into working for the bad guys. Now he must find out why made men are turning up dead in mob-style hits.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,932,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible