The World House by Guy Adams

The World House (2010)

by Guy Adams

Terrific book. Sort of John Buchan meets "Inception"! I loved the diversity of characters, the house's fearsome magical transmutations, and the suspense-inducing scene-switching. ( )
  NatalieSW | Nov 22, 2014 |
Great idea in very incapable hands. He should email his ideas to Dan Simmons and let him write it. ( )
  DanielAlgara | Sep 26, 2014 |
There were parts of this that I found it hard to fully immerse myself in because I was distracted by certain similarities to an RPG I play in, but that's not really the fault of the book. When it started to all come together and I realised what was happening, I was absolutely transported. Creative and dangerous, which is a lovely combination in a book. ( )
  rrainer | Apr 30, 2013 |
Meh. The idea is interesting, but the panoply of characters I couldn't care less about and the rocky quality of the writing just couldn't keep me interested. I wasn't impressed with the way he chose to characterise Pablo and Sophie, either -- we can tell he's foreign because he can't talk, we can tell she's autistic because she keeps in mind the Right and Wrong things to do and Randomly Capitalises Apparently Important-To-Her Concepts.

Also, it doesn't help that when I bought this I was, for some reason, under the impression it was relatively complete in itself, and nope. Cliffhanger ending.

I can see it appealing to people who loved books like House of Leaves, and it can be clever and amazingly imaginative, but crankypants Nikki just couldn't get on with it. (And I don't know what your opinion on it is, but mine is that a good book should make me forget I'm in a bad mood.) ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
Rbrs #10
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
To Diana Adams, with infinite thanks and love, for passing her passion for story on to her son, and being unwavering in her support.
They had threatened to break his legs if he didn't find them the money owed. It wasn't an inventive threat but the best never are. What's the point of intimidation if it's not easily imagined?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0857660373, Mass Market Paperback)

Combining the puzzle box of Hellraiser with the explorartion of Tad Williams' Otherland series, this is  the perfect blend of fantasy and adventure, an exceptional modern fantasy debut.

THERE IS A BOX. INSIDE THAT BOX IS A DOOR. AND BEYOND THAT DOOR IS A WHOLE WORLD.

And at the very top of the house, a prisoner sits behind a locked door waiting for a key to turn. The day that happens, the world will end...

File under: Modern Fantasy [Worlds within Worlds | Prison Break | Exploring the Unknown | Dark Powers]

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:43 -0400)

In some rooms, forests grow. In others, animals and objects come to life. Elsewhere, secrets and treasures wait for the brave and foolhardy. And at the very top of the house, a prisoner sits behind a locked door waiting for a key to turn. The day that happens, the world will end.… (more)

Guy Adams is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Angry Robot

An edition of this book was published by Angry Robot.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,941,781 books! | Top bar: Always visible