Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Blameless by Gail Carriger

Blameless

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (3), Parasol Universe (7)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (lquilter)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (jlynno84)

English (156)  Piratical (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (161)
After the rather abrupt - and unexpected - ending of the previous book, I felt compelled to know how the story progressed, so I broke my own rule about pacing myself with series, and started immediately on volume three. And yes, the Parasol Protectorate is becoming something of an addiction for me...

Full review: http://spaceandsorcery.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/blameless-gail-carriger/ ( )
  SpaceandSorcery | Dec 25, 2018 |
I had trouble choosing a rating for this book.

On the one hand, it's another book from the Parasol Protectorate series, and it in most ways lives up to my anticipation. Alexia remains a delightful heroine; I enjoyed the expansion of the story into the world beyond Great Britain.

On the other, there's a joke about Kosher rules in there which, while appropriate to the setting, is perhaps less than appropriate in a modern book. It is seriously just a tiny, throw-away joke... but it jarred me out of the story. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Three and a half stars--full review later. ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
I’m on quite a roll with the parasol protectorate series! I finished the third book last night and am loving it. I had to jump right into this one after a cliff hanger in the last. Thankfully Amazon is delivering me the next two books today! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 4, 2018 |
NOT ENOUGH AKELDAMA. Needs more gay vampires. This is the third book in the series and it's still kinda boringish. This series of 5 could probably be a trilogy of 3.

But I guess the books are like:
1. meet guy
2. marry guy
3. get pregnant by guy
4. birth baby
5. deal with newborn baby?

So that's why it's like that. But I can't help but be like, well that's not very interesting. Why not like, Alexia discovers her special uniqueness, special uniqueness invites people who fear it to fight her and get in her way, Alexia with special uniqueness triumphs, you know, like usual. As it is it's so boy and baby focused, and I am not a boy and baby focused person, well not like that anyway. Which is weird because you have Alexia being all like, "infant inconvenience" but like, the whole series is about this right? As if it wasn't that kind of romance novel. Also, I am not so enamored with descriptions of objects and fight scenes, generally speaking, so those parts of the book wear me down, even if it is steampunk.

But it has vampires and it's funny so I will continue reading it. And it's not bad despite my griping for like an entire essay just now. It's a ROMANCE NOVEL, JOANNA get over it ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book really wouldn't have happened without Kristin, Devi, and Francesca. No, really, you'd be reading a big fat collection of blank pages right now. Thanks, ladies, I owe you all wine and cheese! Lots of cheese. And a million hugs to J. Daniel Sawyer, who was more helpful, more often, than he realized.
"How much longer, Mama, must we tolerate this gross humiliation?"
"Why do they want me dead? I mean aside from the customary reasons."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316074152, Mass Market Paperback)

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season.

Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

All of London's vampires are very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,476,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible