Blameless by Gail Carriger

Blameless

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (3), Parasol Universe (7)

Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (lquilter)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (jlynno84)

English (146)  Piratical (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All (151)
Blameless is the third book in the steampunk/comedy Parasol Protectorate series, falling just a few weeks after the previous book. Alexia, now bitter and very irritatingly pregnant, has been accused of infidelity, thrown out of her home, and had her name very publicly dragged through the mud.

But something's not quite... normal about this pregnancy. And now that Alexia doesn't have the protection of Lord Maccon's pack, every vampire in Europe is determined to murder her before this creature is born.

Blameless is delightful. It really doesn't matter that it's opening with such a grim situation--Alexia is soulless, and even pregnancy hasn't made her very sentimental. She's irritated about the purely practical concerns of being made homeless and being accused of something she didn't do, and it turns this otherwise miserable situation into something hilarious.

It also helps that this story involves a much stronger cast. Alexia ends up traveling to Europe with Ms. Lefoux and Alexia's stoic butler, Floote, both of whom are exceedingly competent and have rich enough backstories to make them intriguing. (This is far better than Changeless, where Alexia was riding with two joke characters that she mocked constantly.) Better yet, this story involves the templars, an immensely important group that we know absolutely nothing about.

Despite all this, I... honestly thought this was the weakest book in the series so far.

I still loved it! It was fun! But there were some things that just didn't... gel quite as well as they had in the previous books. Lyall is far too clever (something I wouldn't normally complain about...) and nearly immediately takes the punch out of the "Alexia has been unfaithful" plotline. There is an awful lot of fighting--particularly in the ending--and it's easy to lose track of who is where, and who's doing what, and why is this person even here?! Absolutely everyone shows up for the ending, even though it's halfway across Europe, and some of them clearly had no reason to do so at all. I'm looking at you, Lord Maccon! You didn't even help! You just showed up after everyone had done everything, just so the epilogue could have a sex scene!

But despite feeling kind of... mentally dislodged by the ending, an awful lot of very important and interesting things happen. So off I go to Heartless! ( )
  ef_spencer | Nov 30, 2017 |
As I said, terribly practical woman. Up and went to find proof to slap her husband's face with.

Not near enough groveling there, Maccon. ( )
  Ayanami_Faerudo | Nov 29, 2017 |
Adore these books. They're fun, witty and clearly written by someone who loves language. ( )
  StigE | Aug 25, 2017 |
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first two. Alexia is far more enjoyable when she is with Lord Maccon. They were apart for much of the book and I guess I need their banter and bickering. ( )
  GovMarley | Aug 6, 2017 |
These damn books. Why do I love them so? So silly. I mean really? Vampires, Werewolves? Now Templars? Didn't we do all this already with Twilight and Dan Brown? But I'm hooked.

I missed the interaction between the Lord and Lady in this one. I liked Floote's character coming out of his shell. But I loved what happened to the yappy annoying dog the best.

Very curious to see where Biffy, Lord Akeldama, Woosley pack, and the infant-inconvenience end up so I guess I'm in for another round.

But after that I swear I'm stopping. Probably. Maybe. Yea, probably not. ( )
  she_climber | Jun 16, 2017 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book really wouldn't have happened without Kristin, Devi, and Francesca. No, really, you'd be reading a big fat collection of blank pages right now. Thanks, ladies, I owe you all wine and cheese! Lots of cheese. And a million hugs to J. Daniel Sawyer, who was more helpful, more often, than he realized.
"How much longer, Mama, must we tolerate this gross humiliation?"
"Why do they want me dead? I mean aside from the customary reasons."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316074152, Mass Market Paperback)

Quitting her husband's house and moving back in with her horrible family, Lady Maccon becomes the scandal of the London season.

Queen Victoria dismisses her from the Shadow Council, and the only person who can explain anything, Lord Akeldama, unexpectedly leaves town. To top it all off, Alexia is attacked by homicidal mechanical ladybugs, indicating, as only ladybugs can, the fact that all of London's vampires are now very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

All of London's vampires are very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.… (more)

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,561,554 books! | Top bar: Always visible