dismiss

Blameless

by Gail Carriger

Series: Parasol Protectorate (3), Parasol Universe (7)

All of London's vampires are very much interested in seeing Alexia quite thoroughly dead. While Lord Maccon elects to get progressively more inebriated and Professor Lyall desperately tries to hold the Woolsey werewolf pack together, Alexia flees England for Italy in search of the mysterious Templars. Only they know enough about the preternatural to explain her increasingly inconvenient condition, but they may be worse than the vampires -- and they're armed with pesto.… (more)
    Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (lquilter)
    lquilter: Without knowing, I'd imagine that Gail Carriger had read Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series (beginning with Crocodile on the Sandbank) before writing Blameless (et seq). Similar era, similarly cranky and forthright spinster protagonist, similar sort of love affair, similar witty dialog and observations. The Amelia Peabody books are, of course, "straight" historical mystery, without the steampunk elements of Carriger's series, but I imagine that Carriger fans who read out-of-genre also will enjoy the Peters' series. Similarly, Peters fans who like SF, steampunk, or vampires/werewolves, might enjoy the Carriger series.… (more)
    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith (jlynno84)

English (162)  Piratical (2)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  All languages (167)
After the bombshell ending of the second book I was definitely looking forward to continuing Alexia's story. Blameless, book 3 in Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate, turned out to be just the right amount of fluffy fun I needed to get through rough week. This review contains spoilers for the previous books.

The story picks up a few days where Changeless leaves off, with a pregnant and shamed Alexia dealing with rejection by her husband. While I can understand Connall's scepticism over the situation, you'd think that the fact that Alexia's touch can turn a supernatural human might mean there's a chance he could become human enough to be able to father a child. As annoying has his reaction is it ends up being a good thing as it allows Alexia's strength of character to come shining through and her determination to understand the whole mess leads us on quite a fun journey to Italy. Homicidal mechanical ladybugs included!

The book opens with Alexia having breakfast with her horrible family, which definitely doesn't help the situation in any way. Poor Alexia! It is such a great display of Carriger's wit that I can forgive her putting Alexia into the situation on top of all the woes she's already dealing with.

I enjoyed the change of scenery and had a blast with Alexia's fraught filled travels to the continent. Separating her from Connall was a great idea as it gave other characters more page time, especially Floote, Madam Lefoux and Professor Lyall. There is so much more than just a reserved butler to Floote that I hope we get more insight into his character over the next two books. Professor Lyall has the unfortunate job of trying to keep a despairing and drunk Lord Maccon from embarrassing himself too badly. He also has a great chance to show off exactly why he is the pack beta. He'd be one heck of an alpha if he ever wanted the position! Ivy is not in the story as much which means we are subjected to a lot less descriptions of ugly hats. More of Madam Lefoux's past is revealed and her brilliance as a mechanical scientist is played up nicely. In fact I'd say that it is the secondary characters that brought the most to the story.

One of my favorite parts is that we finally see the origin of the series title, Parasol Protectorate. I love when books do that.

The story has has just the right amount of light-hearted silliness, sly wit and absurd attacks by ladybugs that I enjoyed the read immensely. I'm looking forward to seeing just how the infant-inconvenient continues to ruin Alexia's life. ( )
  Narilka | May 31, 2020 |
Loved the continuation of Alexia’s story. I found it very slow to start, but it definitely picked up after the first few chapters. Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  BelindaS7 | Apr 14, 2020 |
After reading the first book in the series I was intrigued but not sure that I would follow through and read the sequels. Then I read Book 2 and was greatly pleased. The more the characters appear on the pages and are allowed to *do things* the better I like this series. With Book 3, I'm now quite smitten with the cast of characters the author has developed and I really enjoy seeing her uncover each new layer. Very much looking forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
  Nikchick | Mar 21, 2020 |
The series continues to if not improve, continue at its current high quality level. As the series progresses the author is a little less concerned about telling a self contained story, so this book would not stand alone very well, but for anyone following the series this is well worth the read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |

Gail Carrigerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gray, EmilyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ricci, DonnaCover modelsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book really wouldn't have happened without Kristin, Devi, and Francesca. No, really, you'd be reading a big fat collection of blank pages right now. Thanks, ladies, I owe you all wine and cheese! Lots of cheese. And a million hugs to J. Daniel Sawyer, who was more helpful, more often, than he realized.
"How much longer, Mama, must we tolerate this gross humiliation?"
"Why do they want me dead? I mean aside from the customary reasons."

Orbit Books

An edition of this book was published by Orbit Books.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,894,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible