Refuge on Crescent Hill: A Novel by Melanie…

Refuge on Crescent Hill: A Novel

by Melanie Dobson, Melanie Dobson

9520198,719 (3.58)7
"Jobless, homeless, and broke, Camden Bristow decides to visit the grandmother she hasn't seen in years. But when Camden arrives in Etherton, Ohio, she discovers that her grandmother has passed away, leaving her the 150-year-old mansion on Crescent Hill. The site of her happiest summers as a child, the run-down mansion is now her only refuge. When Camden finds evidence that she may not be the mansion's only occupant, memories of Grandma Rosalie's bedtime stories about secret passageways and runaway slaves fuel her imagination. What really happened at Crescent Hill? Who can she turn to for answers in this town full of strangers? And what motivates the handsome local Alex Yates to offer his help? As she works to uncover the past and present mysteries harbored in her home, Camden uncovers deep family secrets within the mansion's walls that could change her life--and the entire town--forever."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Spoilers. I wanted to read this because I wondered how the story would be worked out, but it was too ugly. The weird crazy guy with the abusive grandfather was the gun in the first act that was going to go off in the 3rd, and I didn't want that ugliness in my mind.
  franoscar | May 20, 2012 |
Very good read, really enjoy reading about our country and some of our early history, even if only slightly touched on in this book. My curiosity was kept on alert through out this novel. ( )
  Grandy | May 14, 2012 |
I really enjoyed this book! Refuge on Crescent Hill had all the aspects I love to read ~ a great story line, intriguing plot, history, mystery, suspense and a bit of romance. Ms. Dobson did a fantastic job writing this novel and I had a wonderful afternoon relaxing, sipping hot tea and immersing myself in this delightful book!

I definitely recommend reading this!

Many thanks to Kregel publishing for the opportunity to review this book. ( )
  mrsrenee | Dec 7, 2011 |
Camden Bristow is feeling the effects of the economy. She is a free-lance photographer living in New York who finds herself without any job prospects or money. Being kicked out of her apartment with less than five hundred dollars left on her credit card she decides to return to the home where she spent many happy summers with her grandmother Rosalie even though its been years since she has spoken to her grandmother, but when she arrives in the tiny town of Etherton Ohio what she finds at the family mansion called Crescent Hill is that her grandmother has passed away and the mansion is falling into disrepair. Having no place else to go she stays at the family home anyway and quickly finds herself wondering if someone else isn't in the house. Camden has never believed in the rumors that ghosts haunt the mansion and when a few things start disappearing she is pretty sure someone is getting into the house, but how? Could it be true that there are underground tunnels that date back to slave days, and could Crescent Hill actually have been a stop on the Underground Railroad?

I really enjoyed the historical aspect of this story as well as the mystery and intrigue that surrounded the history of the Bristow family.While Camden was the primary story I loved the secondary stories that went on and how they all came together at the end. The characters were very easy to connect with, especially Camden. Crescent Hill was the only place where she ever felt like she belonged. It was nice to see her grow and watch her priorities change as the book progressed. I also felt empathy for Alex, as he continued to carry the blame for not doing enough to save his sister and nephew. I thought the christian themes woven into the story was well done, especially the message of helping others. I also got a few laughs from reading about the antics of the Sprague children especially Hailey, that little girl had a wonderful imagination.

Overall if your looking for a contemporary story that is firmly rooted in the historical era of the underground railroad, that weaves mystery, suspense, a bit of romance with a nice inspirational story then your certainly in for a treat with this story. Recommended!

*A complimentary copy of this book was provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.* ( )
  kittycrochettwo | Oct 24, 2011 |
Refuge on Crescent Hill was a cozy mystery with light romance. Although it touched on the serious topic of domestic abuse, it didn't dwell on the dark side of that issue. It offered hope instead. Overall, I liked the book. It wasn't too preachy, the characters were more or less realistic, and the story was engaging. It's a good book to curl up with on a quiet afternoon. ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Oct 24, 2011 |

Melanie Dobsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dobson, Melaniemain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Melanie Dobson's book Refuge on Crescent Hill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,566,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible