Fatal Loyalty: A Novel by Sue Duffy

Fatal Loyalty: A Novel

by Sue Duffy

Sue Duffy has written a book laced with tension, excitement, and subterfuge. Andie Ryborg is in danger because her father is running for governor of the state of Florida on a very strong anti-drug campaign and the drug lords are out to make certain that he is not elected. Consequently, Andie's life has been threatened and she has been forced into hiding. In spite of the fact that Andie has been assigned protection, she still senses that someone is watching her. Her home is invaded and her privacy becomes non-existent. For every move that Andie's father makes to ensure her safety, the members of the drug gang are right there to foil his efforts.

This is a very well written, generally fast-paced, and excitement-filled book. There were, however, several sections in the book where it really seemed to drag and I found my attention wandering. After a few pages, I would manage to get back into the story but there were times that I was sorely tempted to skip some pages. I persevered and did not do that for fear that I would miss some important element in the story. I later realized that I could easily have skimmed over some of those parts without losing a thing.

There were some parts of the story that I felt were weak. For example, the book kept emphasizing that Andie and other characters should trust no one; yet when a character showed up on the scene with no one to vouch for her credibility, in no time at all Andie, her father, and her father's staff were trusting this person completely and implicitly. It just seemed a bit too quick and easy for my acceptance factor, but other reviewers have not had a problem with this issue.

In spite of these minor flaws, I would still recommend this book for those who enjoy reading about drug abuse, dirty politicians, and God's omnipotence and mercy. The message of redemption and forgiveness is strong and well-done and it is for this reason that I feel this book is a worthwhile read. ( )
  HisChild | Aug 28, 2010 |
Andie Ryborg's father is running for Governor. His aggressive war on drugs has put him and his daughter's life in jeopardy. This book has secrets, love and mystery and is definitely worth a read. I won this book on Goodreads. ( )
  tanya2009 | Aug 11, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Have never read an inspirational/Christian book before so I don't know if they are all so goody-goody/pious as this one was. Somewhat of a good plot line, but very unrealistic. Whether that was to maintain the "Christian" feel of it by not being realistic, I'm not sure.
  aimeef | Aug 7, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I must be honest by saying that this is not my genre of choice. I am a loyal fan of all things sci-fi / fantasy. With that being said I had an incredibly difficult time getting thru this book and eventually put it down to read the next Robert Jordan novel.

If you prefer to have a strong christian undercurrant running thru your books then by all means pick this one up! I think it's great to spread the word, but I personally find it distracting when reading since I use that time as my "escape" from normal life. ( )
  lauradale77 | Jul 24, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The story was unbelieveable. The characters were interesting but flat. I like the setting in Florida. The Christian theme of forgivness that ran through out the story was amazing. Overall and easy read, but with that it was not one I had trouble putting down. The writer's style was smooth and I would like to read more from her to see if her writing imporves. I would recommend this book for a lazy afternoon, not bad. ( )
  Lori_OGara | Jul 6, 2010 |
To my husband, Mike Duffy,
my dad, J. D. Railey,
and the memory of my mom,
Doris Railey.
In an instant, his world collapsed, and no one knew it but him.

Andie Ryborg is on the run. Her father’s campaign for governor and work against the illegal drug trade has put a target on her head. Hiding out in a quiet bungalow in Miami’s exotic Coconut Grove, she hopes to find a normal life removed from the treachery of her father’s world. But no matter how far she runs, she can’t escape the powerful Francini family.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:08 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sue Duffy's book Fatal Loyalty was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,057,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible