Perversity Think Tank by Supervert

Perversity Think Tank

by Supervert

151647,891 (5)None

I have a pretty serious book crush on Supervert. Every now and then you come across an author who seems very much like he or she is on your wavelength, whose words seem like they could have come out of your own brain. Supervert is one of those authors for me. I felt a great amount of kinship reading a few of the stories in Necrophilia Variations (and yeah, when you say that, when you admit a book with this particular title spoke to you directly, you are making a certain statement about yourself and now that I am officially a harmless, middle-aged woman, I feel I am safe making any sort of admission I want). I found myself nodding a lot when reading Perversity Think Tank as the book tried to answer the question of “What is Perversity?”

If I didn’t know this before reading the book, I now understand that defining perversity can be very much akin to holding mercury but Supervert manages to nail down some interesting perspectives on the topic. Mostly, I walked away knowing what perversity isn’t, while marveling that there is another human being on the planet who had thought about the complete narcissism that is involved on reproductive incest, which I will discuss in a moment. You can read my entire review here: http://ireadoddbooks.com/perversity-think-tank-by-supervert/ ( )
  oddbooks | Oct 19, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0970497121, Perfect Paperback)

Perversity Think Tank attempts to formulate a philosophical conception of sexual perversion. In this it is the black mirror of one of the most famous texts in the history of philosophy. Plato's Symposium sought to answer a simple question: What is love? Perversity Think Tank begins from an equally simple but darker place: What is perversity? Necrophilia, pedophilia, bestiality, feederism, voyeurism, fetishism -- how is it possible to abstract a single category of sexual behavior from so many unusual and often sordid proclivities? What does a flasher or a groper have in common with, say, the willing "victim" who undertook with a cannibal to cook and eat his own genitalia? Perversity Think Tank dissects a wealth of examples drawn from literature, art, individual experience, and real-world incidents reported on the blog PervScan.com. However, far from being a "book of the blog," Perversity Think Tank utilizes PervScan the way Freud did his case histories. It serves as a research laboratory for the entirely new vision of perversion presented in the book. And whereas a blog is typically improvisational in tone, like a lab note, Perversity Think Tank is a taut, deeply considered analysis. Like Supervert's previous works, it makes full use of an arsenal of techniques -- non-linearity, juxataposition, erasure -- derived from vanguard aesthetics. The result is not only a novel approach to perversion but a new sort of work that is simultaneously philosophy, literature, and heck knows.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:07 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,379,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible